Author Topic: Volkswagen squashes the Beetle: End of the line for the iconic 'Bug'  (Read 1675 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Volkswagen squashes the Beetle: End of the line for the iconic 'Bug'
"There are no immediate plans to replace it,” said VW’s CEO, before adding, “I would also say, 'Never say never.'”
by Paul A. Eisenstein / Sep.14.2018 / 10:32 AM ET

After seven decades, the longest-running car in automotive history is about to disappear. Volkswagen will end production of its iconic Beetle by the end of the 2019 model-year, the German automaker announced Thursday.

Conceived in Germany during the run-up to World War II, the Beetle became an icon of the American counterculture during the Vietnam War. But it lost momentum following the twin oil shocks of the 1970s and, despite two attempts to rebuild its appeal with complete makeovers, it has been little more than a largely forgotten niche vehicle in recent years.

So, VW has launched what it calls the “Final Edition,” special versions of the Beetle coupe and convertible models that will mark the end of the run sometime next year.

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/volkswagen-squashes-beetle-end-line-iconic-bug-n909591
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Volkswagen squashes the Beetle: End of the line for the iconic 'Bug'
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:38 pm »
 888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

Bye Herbie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:23:29 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Volkswagen squashes the Beetle: End of the line for the iconic 'Bug'
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 01:33:53 am »
I forgot they were still making it. The last time I'd even heard of it was 2011.

I'm guessing that VW was counting on it not needing any marketing because they've been pushing all their other vehicles while devoting nary a commercial to the venerable Bug, ironically loved by hippies and Hitler alike.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024