Author Topic: Federal deficit soars 32 percent to $895B  (Read 10746 times)

Online corbe

Re: Federal deficit soars 32 percent to $895B
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2018, 01:04:29 am »
   When in doubt always go with 'Out of Context' first, If that doesn't work try 'Whataboutism' if that too fails to woo the crowd, Log Off.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:30 am »
It would be much easier to list programs I would NOT want cut or eliminated entirely. 

1915 standards?  Get a grip.  Romney tried scare tactics the third debate, and Obama predictably handed his ass to him.  35% of the world's military spending happens in the United States.  Fact of the matter is the DOD will have to be trimmed, either when the consequences can be managed, or in the middle of debt crisis.

You should have asked Trump how he planned to pay down the debt before you hired him.  Even a cursory glance at his proposals would have raised doubts.

That information came from some general or admiral. Yes our military is working with old, rusted out parts, and they had to use parts from other planes, ships to fix the present ones. I am completely griped.  Military spending set up by other presidents & those country's not paying their bill to USA, Trump changed that.
If you ever did research, you would know the truth. Right now, you are not informed. Obama cut military spending ON OUR MILITARY.  So frustrating how people have no info, but post. Romney was correct, obama was not.

You need to research. I did spend some time & found the below, for you to POO POO. OBAMA'S SEQUESTRATION MILITARY CUTS. Heritage foundation.  I found L. Graham saying something similar, but he received that info, from high ranking military person. You know, I can't spoon feed adults on here.
------------
Do we have the smallest Navy since 1917?

A popular talking point about the United States having the "smallest Navy" in almost a century emerged in the 2012 presidential campaign and has seen new life this cycle.

"I'm going to rebuild our military," said Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., on June 4, 2015. "We're on a course to have the smallest army since 1940, the smallest Navy since 1915." 

The literal accuracy of the claim has changed recently and from year to year. In 1916, the U.S. Navy had 245 active ships. The number peaked at a massive 6,768 ships during World War II. Then the number drifted down during most of the 20th century, with slight upticks during the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

As of Dec. 9, 2015, the number of active ships stood at 272, which is the lowest since 1916.

PolitiFact Sheet: Military spending under Obama and Congress
Republican candidates have portrayed the country's military spending as woefully inadequate under the Obama administration. They say the cuts, many made as part of the funny-sounding word ...

Search domain www.politifact.comhttps://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/dec/14/politif...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:47:38 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:39 am »
That information came from some general or admiral. Yes our military is working with old, rusted out parts, and they had to use parts from other planes, ships to fix the present ones. I am completely griped.  Military spending set up by other presidents & those country's not paying their bill to USA, Trump changed that.
If you ever did research, you would know the truth. Right now, you are not informed. Obama cut military spending ON OUR MILITARY.  So frustrating how people have no info, but post. Romney was correct, obama was not.

The best way to get more spending is to ramp up the fear factor.  A military man tells you we need more military spending and you believe him without question. You gleefully tell everybody else they’re wrong and not informed and when they give information that backs  their case up, you dismiss it and tell them that their source of information is part of a deep state conspiracy

I know you will not believe  this,  but military spending is the largest chunk of discretionary spending. It, like entitlements and welfare, is at some point going to have to be cut. People are not going to like to hear this, which is why Congress likes to avoid the issue. But you cannot defeat math or economics simply because you like a particular program
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:37:24 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online corbe

« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2018, 01:34:38 am »
   @LegalAmerican

It is clearly 'My Problem' that unlike all other Briefers, I allow your posts to bother the $hit out of me. 
    But unlike you I refuse to cop out and put you on my empty Ignore list. 
    What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Besides your not worth a Time-Out, now @Right_in_Virginia she's worth a time-out. :smokin:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2018, 01:53:42 am »
The best way to get more spending is to ramp up the fear factor.  A military man tells you we need more military spending and you believe him without question. You gleefully tell everybody else they’re wrong and not informed and when they give information that backs  their case up, you dismiss it and tell them that their source of information is part of a deep state conspiracy

I know you will not believe  this,  but military spending is the largest chunk of discretionary spending. It, like entitlements and welfare, is at some point going to have to be cut. People are not going to like to hear this, which is why Congress likes to avoid the issue. But you cannot defeat math or economics simply because you like a particular program

Wrong. Read the post above. I can't spoon feed all adults on here. I think congress salary needs to be CUT. Not paid in SOCIAL SECURITY, income to Gov., or PAID IN medicare monthly premiums by seniors. Lets cut, WELFARE.   :seeya:
----------------------------

Republican candidates have portrayed the country's military spending as woefully inadequate under the Obama administration. They say the cuts, many made as part of the funny-sounding word ...

Search domain www.politifact.comhttps://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/dec/14/politif...

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2018, 01:59:52 am »

Wrong. Democrats have always been the spenders.

Facts prove that supposition to be utter bullshit.

A Republican-controlled Hose, Senate and Executive just spent more money in deficit spending in the last two years than the Democrats did when they controlled the show.

So - you are as always - full of troll shit.

The Republicans are every-bit Statist and Collectivist as the democrats.  The only difference is in whom their constituents are that they hand our wealth, liberty and property to.

Not seeing any republican thinking in your post.

Because I am NOT a Republican.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LMAO

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2018, 02:04:04 am »
Wrong. Read the post above. I can't spoon feed all adults on here. I think congress salary needs to be CUT. Not paid in SOCIAL SECURITY, income to Gov., or PAID IN medicare monthly premiums by seniors. Lets cut, WELFARE.   :seeya:
----------------------------

But you have told us in the past that fact checking sites are part of a left-wing conspiracy??? Guess as long as the “facts” support your politics, then they are to be trusted.

Again, military spending will have to face the same cuts as every other spending, if at least for optics. How do you think that will fly with the public if there are cuts in SS and Medicare but the Pentagon gets an increase? Judging from your post, it’s obvious you have no idea what Medicare and Social Security nor any concept of what’s called unfunded liabilities
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:08:12 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline DB

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2018, 02:05:29 am »
You obviously don't know the Dems.

You are defeated even before you try... Can't veto a spending spree because if you do you risk them spending even more... And that makes some sort of sense to you...

Offline LMAO

« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2018, 02:12:37 am »
You are defeated even before you try... Can't veto a spending spree because if you do you risk them spending even more... And that makes some sort of sense to you...

Trump could’ve vetoed  these spending bills, which would probably be overridden by Congress, and then he could’ve gone out and made Congress’s spending an issue. Instead he signs them, and then later laments signing them after they’ve passed

Barry Goldwater

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2018, 02:24:41 am »

That's what happens when you have a narrow majority and quisling Congressional leaders.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2018, 02:27:06 am »
None of this is good nor should be defended because one voted for Trump. This is the second time in our history our debt to GDP ratio is over 100%.  The first time it was because of a world war.  Nobody lived long enough to collect Social Security and Medicare didn’t exist at the time along with fact that many parts of the rest of the world’s  infrastructure was destroyed and it took years to recover from the destruction of World War 2 and our infrastructure went unscathed. The circumstances today are much more difficult which means that the choices that a Congress and a president will have to make are going to be unpopular, painful, but necessary

I understand emotional attachments and the need to defend someone that one voted for but I’m not holding Trump or the Republicans to any different standard than I would hold Democrats or held Obama to. And I am fairly confident that applies to others that have posted on this subject
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:36:42 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2018, 11:28:09 am »
Yes, "cult leader".  I've found that Trump has some kind of Svengali-like affect on certain folks. I know some friends and family members who are Trump supporters who absolutely excuse Trump's deficit spending but were quite vocal in speaking out that it was "bad and harmful" when Obama did it.  They excuse Trump's moral "lapses" but were quite vocal against Clinton's.  Some of these folks, when pressed, even admit they're being hypocritical but justify it because they like so many of Trump's other policies.  And that's a fact AND the absolute truth!!

What your seeing is a form of tribalism. We are instinctively tribal. When the “other” tribe increases the debt and deficits....bad. When “my” tribe does it, well, as you see some post such here, it’s for “good” spending. Back during the days of the campaign, some of the things that Trump supporters were saying would bring howls if a Democrat said them(Trump would have to go above the Constitution to “fix” the country). Also, when people have their emotions invested in someone or something, it’s hard for them to be objective. It’s a reality of our nature.

But the dollar, math, and economics are not tribal.  They don’t care about political attachments. The effects of thinking you can defeat math are the same regardless of political party. So, regardless if you think Trump deficits are “good spending” and Obama deficits are “bad spending,” the results of thinking you can defy economics will be the same

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:43 pm »
Facts prove that supposition to be utter bullshit.

A Republican-controlled Hose, Senate and Executive just spent more money in deficit spending in the last two years than the Democrats did when they controlled the show.

@INVAR

Yeah but the GOP and Trump are “good spending”   :silly:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:37:42 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2018, 12:42:28 pm »
Man, this is NOT a conservative site.

@LegalAmerican

By all means, please feel free to leave...and don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  Personally I’m sick to death of your illiterate condescension.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2018, 12:58:41 pm »
IKR?  What can be a worthy response?  I hope it's quick when you are rounded up because your fat mouth couldn't cash a change of opinion?  Fascism's just another word for nothing left to lose?

I am not sure I understand your response.
I was agreeing with you that it was quite telling that the person you quoted actually said that, and that it is a startling thing to say.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2018, 01:51:26 pm »
What your seeing is a form of tribalism. We are instinctively tribal. When the “other” tribe increases the debt and deficits....bad. When “my” tribe does it, well, as you see some post such here, it’s for “good” spending. Back during the days of the campaign, some of the things that Trump supporters were saying would bring howls if a Democrat said them(Trump would have to go above the Constitution to “fix” the country). Also, when people have their emotions invested in someone or something, it’s hard for them to be objective. It’s a reality of our nature.

But the dollar, math, and economics are not tribal.  They don’t care about political attachments. The effects of thinking you can defeat math are the same regardless of political party. So, regardless if you think Trump deficits are “good spending” and Obama deficits are “bad spending,” the results of thinking you can defy economics will be the same

:amen:

Call it tribalism, cult-like, or simply hypocritical.  You are absolutely correct on the math and economics of the situation though.  We saw record borrowing earlier this year as annual deficits head towards record levels.  We're fastly approaching $1T a year in deficits and are forecast to get there before the next Presidential election.  Can you imagine the absolute outrage from many of these Trump supporters if a Democratic President were racking up this amount of debt?

The Treasury Department says that the government borrowed a record $488 billion in the January-March quarter, but it expects borrowing needs will decline sharply for the current April-June quarter.

Treasury says that actual borrowing in the first quarter exceeded the old record of $483 billion set in the first quarter of 2010, a period when the country was struggling to pull out of a deep recession and prop up the financial system following the 2008 financial crisis.

For the current quarter, Treasury announces it expects it will only need to borrow $75 billion but that the borrowing needs will rise again in the July-September quarter to $273 billion. Treasury is facing the need to finance government operations at a time when annual deficits are heading to record levels.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/30/us-treasury-says-q1-borrowing-set-record-488-billion.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »
I am not sure I understand your response.
I was agreeing with you that it was quite telling that the person you quoted actually said that, and that it is a startling thing to say.

@GrouchoTex
Sorry my reply was vague.  But essentially I was saying dictators "get stuff done" when you like what they are doing, but they kill you when you speak up about the stuff you don't like.  Be careful what you wish for @LegalAmerican .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2018, 05:36:49 pm »
@GrouchoTex
Sorry my reply was vague.  But essentially I was saying dictators "get stuff done" when you like what they are doing, but they kill you when you speak up about the stuff you don't like.  Be careful what you wish for @LegalAmerican .

We are on the same page.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2018, 06:58:46 pm »

He is still correct.  What happened to the,  rest of the speech?  Taking out of context, means nothing.  He has ALWAYS said working with congress & within the constitution.  Man, this is NOT a conservative site.  He, as LONE PRESIDENT can fix it. He is. Just not quick enough for some.  I don't see republicans posting.

So, he underestimated the size of the swamp.

You don’t think it’s conservative enough, because not everyone posts a tiresome screed every time, like you do.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »

So as we continue to rack up more debt and print more money, currency devaluation will somehow be able to differentiate between “good spending” and “bad spending?”
Bad spending is Bad spending.

What part of Bad spending do you not understand?

Sure it adds to debt.  So does good spending.

Tell me please which you wish to cut out, the good or the bad?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2018, 10:21:15 pm »
@LegalAmerican

Donald Trump at Convention: Nobody Knows The System Better Than Me. Which Is Why I Alone Can Fix It.

! No longer available
I think he is correct.

He alone of the candidates for President had the acumen to work with Congress to fix it. 

Did you attempt to imply he was a dictator that is solely responsible for enacting law?

If not, what are you suggesting?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2018, 10:40:14 pm »

If Trump vetoed the spending bills but Congress overrode his veto, I would give him credit for at least trying. But whether you like to hear it or not, he signed them. Nobody forced him. Nobody fooled him. He took his tiny little hand with pen and signed them. Now another generation gets to pay for it. As conservatives, we will hold him then responsible and accountable just like we will Ryan and McConnell etc. etc.

So, assuming he serves eight years, two terms, and another 9 to 10 trillion is added to the debt, will he be at least partially to blame at least or will he be just an innocent bystander? Or does he get to be a victim?
Of course he is partially to blame for adding to debt by not fighting harder to control porkulus.  A veto would have been the strongest signal and for whatever reason it didn't happen.  Do you know why it didn't happen?  Perhaps it was due to something totally lost on most of us.

The point is some posters on this thread believe him to be TOTALLY responsible for a deficit and have declared failure after only two years.

My entire career was based upon seeking long-term solutions which at times require short-term pain, such as taking away profits in order to spend capital.

He has a long-term outlook beneficial to this country that is obvious to most but is lost on too many. 

An example is his decisions to support reduced income taxes.  That is a welcome event for Americans and unfortunately adds for the short-term to a deficit.  However, the deficit is not due to a reduced revenue as much as it is due to too much spending.

That outlook strengthens the country economically and militarily, and exhibits awesome displays of much-needed reminders of patriotism.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2018, 10:46:38 pm »
Bad spending is Bad spending.

What part of Bad spending do you not understand?

Sure it adds to debt.  So does good spending.

Tell me please which you wish to cut out, the good or the bad?

When your credit cards are maxed out and you are flat broke, are you able to buy anything, good or bad?  Does it matter when you are broke and in debt with a debt you, your children, your grandchildren and your great great grandchildren have no mathematical hope of paying?

Of course you and I cannot print money out of thin air.  And once the laws of economics asserts itself - no amount printed is going to stave the consequences.

So enjoy the party while it lasts.

I hope and pray this generation lives to see the full harvest of what they have sown, and not escape what they have done without suffering along with their posterity.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:48:50 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:11 pm »
When your credit cards are maxed out and you are flat broke, are you able to buy anything, good or bad?  Does it matter when you are broke and in debt with a debt you, your children, your grandchildren and your great great grandchildren have no mathematical hope of paying?

Of course you and I cannot print money out of thin air.  And once the laws of economics asserts itself - no amount printed is going to stave the consequences.

So enjoy the party while it lasts.

I hope and pray this generation lives to see the full harvest of what they have sown, and not escape what they have done without suffering along with their posterity.
That is such a nonsensical statement as it relates to good vs bad spending.

Try once again to attempt a reply that makes sense.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2018, 11:02:44 pm »
That is such a nonsensical statement as it relates to good vs bad spending.

Try once again to attempt a reply that makes sense.

Nonsensical is it?

Can you just walk into a store and buy whatever you think you want/need with credit cards that are a hundred times over their limit?

It doesn't matter if what you want to buy are necessities and "good" or frivolous trinkets "Bad" when you are broke and your credit is over it's limit and you have no ability to pay it back.

Clear it up any for you?  Or do you get your money from a tree that grows in your yard?