Author Topic: Federal deficit soars 32 percent to $895B  (Read 10719 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Federal deficit soars 32 percent to $895B
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2018, 07:46:26 pm »
:amen: It never ceases to amaze me what some people seem to expect of a man.  Especially one who has all the things this particular one has arrayed against him.

Aw let 'em enjoy themselves. They're happiest when they're feeling holier than thou.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »
You cannot see what you refuse to look at.

Indeed. https://www.epa.gov/planandbudget/budget Lots of cuts to the EPA budget and workforce under Dubya.  After what Donald Trump frequently tweeted as Obama's huge ballooning budget deficits, cutting a little fat from the EPA should have been freaking easy.  Rah rah :happyny:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2018, 07:48:12 pm »
This is my main knock against Trump, that he signed the last porkulus bill.

That said, where do I put the blame? Trump for sure, but as as a conservative who believes in Separate But Equal government, half that blame falls on Ryan, McConnell, and Congress.

They had total control as to the details of that spending monster of a bill, and they sent it up to Pennsylvania Ave anyway.

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the unvarnished truth of the matter!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2018, 07:49:25 pm »
Increasing deficits were bad and harmful under Obama yet they’re OK when they're done under your cult leader.  The hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me.

You don't understand how good money is being spent on America or BAD MONEY spent on country's that hate us.

President TRUMP is spending a lot ON AMERICANS, for their safety & wellness.  Military is being restored, by what your obama torn down. Military getting raises, equipment to keep us safe. VA, Veterans getting the care they need. 

Obama spent 2 billion on just one trip to INDIA . They hide that fact. It was something like millions a day for 10 days, & a large extra entourage.   See, there is GOOD spending for our welfare, then BAD SPENDING, wasting our tax dollars  on frivolous trips!   President TRUMP is taking NO PAY for this ungrateful job, yet works 100 hour weeks.
(Almost one million saved, right there, end of two years, with no pay taken)

President TRUMP is very thrifty, but you forget the PORK & crap democrats put into bills, to sabotage Presidents agenda.
You need to be angry at all DEMON-RATS, the obstructionist, & RINOS, who sabotage every step of the way.

About 7 trillion on spending, for muslim country's to rebuild, mosques, other infrastructure, given by OBAMA.  About 30 million on phony Mueller investigation, using our tax dollars.  Be angry at that WASTE.  President TRUMP is stopping some of that, giving our money to terrorist country.( Edit; Not stopping Mueller probe, giving money to terrorist countries.)

Just like any new business, one starts out with CAPITAL, then works that, till the profits come in.  MORE JOBS= MORE FICA & 1040 taxes coming in.  Then trade deals are in the process of being changed for our benefit. Business's coming back to America, that OBAMA OUTSOURCED, to mexico, Philippines, Brazil, Africa. Obama out sourced NASA TO Russians & muslim country's. There is the 4th Russian connection from Obama.
Do I have to list the 4, or are some of you informed about that?

I believe Bachmann, over an LEFT, LYING MEDIA...at the OBAMA time. By now we should know it was all cover up for obama by media DAILY.  Obama's adm. & left media, told us the truth, right?   **nononono* Don't brother posting SNOPES/ FACTCHECK, which are left, radical, democrat, organization, funded by Annenberg foundation=BILL AYERS
---------
Rep. Michele Bachmann AP PHOTO/JACQUELYN MARTIN

Earlier this week, the Press Trust of India reported that the United States will "be spending a whopping $200 million per day on President Barack Obama's visit" to Mumbai.

The story lacked a named source, ( Press Trust of India)  and the $200 million claim was credited to "a top official of the Maharashtra Government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit."

The claim quickly gained traction on the right, thanks in part to a link on the conservative news aggregator The Drudge Report. Among those citing it is Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, who responded to a question from CNN's Anderson Cooper last night on how she would reduce the deficit by citing the cost of the presidential trip.

"Well I think we know that just within a day or so, the president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day," she said. "He's taking two thousand people with him. He'll be renting out over 870 rooms in India. And these are 5-star hotel rooms at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel. This is the kind of over-the-top spending, it's a very small example, Anderson." CBSNEWS.COM

(President Barack Obama is visiting Asia this week. Conservative bloggers and talk-radio hosts (Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and so on) and tea party darling Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) claim that his trip is costing taxpayers a staggering $200 million a day. (Some also claim that the Navy is dispatching 34 ships and an aircraft carrier to support the mission. More on that later.)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:14:17 pm by LegalAmerican »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2018, 07:51:25 pm »
you really believe that?

You see no difference in Obama paying off donors and funding our defense?

Wacky.

seems you haven't explained as yet how he is responsible for increased interest on past debt incurred by predecesdors, noR the 4% increase in entitlements of ss, Medicare or medicaid

I’m not trying to explain that he’s responsible for interest on past debt, but as the current President he’s responsible for doing something about the current debt especially since he promised that he could.  I think it’s common knowledge that a big part of the debt is due to entitlements and interest.  Our interest obligations will likely get worse as interest rates rise.  This is precisely why I believe we need entitlement reform and why we need to attack the debt and deficit NOW while Republicans control both the Congress and the Presidency, but unfortunately, we’re adding to it under this supposed "conservative" President.

Look, I’m not the one who said I could eliminate the debt within 8 years.  I thought it was just more gibberish from this guy, but he’s the one who set that expectation just as he set the expectation that he was going to “lock her up” that Mexico was going to pay for the wall that he was going to propose a Constitutional Amendment for term limits, that North Korea “is no longer a nuclear threat” that “The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!"  This guy has done some great things (especially economically), but unfortunately, he insists on stepping on his own message with broken promises (like this one on the debt), and by lies, falsehoods, and exaggerations (like his recent tweet about 100 years)…………..all unnecessarily IMO. 

Trump supporters seem to love to talk about how he keeps his promises and how conservative he is.  My point is that he hasn’t kept a bunch of promises and by adding trillions to the debt as he’s doing, he’s certainly not fiscally conservative.  I think he and the Republican Congress are blowing a huge opportunity to do something about our debt.  That’s my point and that's what's whacky to me (especially since he promised he could).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:57:10 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2018, 07:58:26 pm »

That said, where do I put the blame? Trump for sure, but as as a conservative who believes in Separate But Equal government, half that blame falls on Ryan, McConnell, and Congress.

They had total control as to the details of that spending monster of a bill, and they sent it up to Pennsylvania Ave anyway.

Tha buck stops at the top. That is what the top is for.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2018, 08:01:17 pm »

Correctamundo.

The fact is that the Republican Party is as diabolically addicted to spending our money borrowed from our kids and grandkids' futures - as the Democrats are if not moreso.

But... the fact is Trump signed it.  And has pledged to sign more Billions in deficit spending bills - without so much as a single dime reducing the size and scope of Government.

Planned Parenthood funding anyone?

The buck has to stop somewhere and Trump made it plain that it doesn't stop with him.

So off to printing up more money out of thin air goes our treasury while welfare for everything from abortions to zoos continues unabated.

And no one gives a shit as long as their wallets get fat - even when they are consigning their own posterity to ruin and starvation in the future.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2018, 08:02:56 pm »
And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the unvarnished truth of the matter!
I agree with that.

How many years has it been since we had an actual budget rather than just continuing resolutions?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »

If people are blaming Trump because of the deficit while standing on their conservative and constitutional principles, then there is no 'top' if they want to be consistent on those principles.

It's either the Separate or Equal as the Constitution spelled out or not, but 'not' is not a constitutional, nor conservative choice, no more than is big deficit spending.

Trump is not the evil genius doofus any more than W was.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 08:05:15 pm »
Correctamundo.

The fact is that the Republican Party is as diabolically addicted to spending our money borrowed from our kids and grandkids' futures - as the Democrats are if not moreso.

But... the fact is Trump signed it.  And has pledged to sign more Billions in deficit spending bills - without so much as a single dime reducing the size and scope of Government.

Planned Parenthood funding anyone?

The buck has to stop somewhere and Trump made it plain that it doesn't stop with him.

So off to printing up more money out of thin air goes our treasury while welfare for everything from abortions to zoos continues unabated.

And no one gives a shit as long as their wallets get fat - even when they are consigning their own posterity to ruin and starvation in the future.

I agree. When it comes to the budget, I'm not happy with anyone right now.
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2018, 08:05:58 pm »
And it does,

In our constitutional government, my civics class taught me that Congress and Executive share top billing to run this country.

You have a different take?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:18 pm »
If people are blaming Trump because of the deficit while standing on their conservative and constitutional principles, then there is no 'top' if they want to be consistent on those principles.

It's either the Separate or Equal as the Constitution spelled out or not, but 'not' is not a constitutional, nor conservative choice, no more than is big deficit spending.

Trump is not the evil genius doofus any more than W was.

Lets bring it back to the kitchen table:
It don't matter how you got behind. The credit cards are way past your ability to pay them... What's going to get you through the month? What brings the credit card payments down?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »
And it does,

In our constitutional government, my civics class taught me that Congress and Executive share top billing to run this country.

Sure do.
The point, when faced with an out of control Congress, is at the tip of the president's pen.

Offline DB

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2018, 08:25:08 pm »
And it does,

Yet Trump just rubber stamps whatever congress sends him... The executive only shares top billing if he's willing to use the veto pen to exercise his authority.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2018, 08:26:42 pm »
boaring into the details it appears that

The largest increases were in the following categories:

In total, spending for the three largest mandatory programs increased by 4 percent:
Outlays for Social Security benefits rose by $39 billion (or 5 percent), because of increases both in the number of beneficiaries and in the average benefit payment.
Medicare spending increased by $22 billion (or 4 percent) because of increases both in the number of beneficiaries and in the amount and cost of services. The increase in spending was partly the result of an additional reconciliation payment made to Medicare Advantage plans to account for unanticipated spending increases in the current calendar year.
Medicaid outlays rose by $13 billion (or 4 percent), in part because more new enrollees were added through expansions of coverage authorized by the Affordable Care Act.
Outlays for net interest on the public debt increased by $55 billion (or 19 percent), partly because of a higher rate of inflation. To account for inflation, the Treasury Department adjusts the principal of its inflation-protected securities each month by using the change in the consumer price index for all urban consumers that was recorded two months earlier. That adjustment was $34 billion in the first 11 months of fiscal year 2017 but $60 billion so far in the current fiscal year. The remaining increase reflects higher interest rates and larger debt in the first 11 months of 2018.
Spending for military programs of the Department of Defense rose by $33 billion (or 6 percent).
The government received $20 billion less in total payments from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, resulting in higher outlays (included in “Other” in the table below and revised downward from last month’s estimate of $22 billion to reflect year-to-date net transactions).
Outlays of the Department of Homeland Security (included in “Other” below), increased by $21 billion (or 48 percent), largely because of activities related to disaster relief.
In contrast, outlays for the Department of Education (included in “Other” below) fell by $43 billion (or 43 percent) because the department made a downward revision of $9 billion to the estimated net subsidy costs of loans and loan guarantees issued in prior years—a change very different from last year’s $39 billion upward revision. If the effects of those revisions were excluded, outlays for the department in the first 11 months of the fiscal year would have risen by $5 billion (or 8 percent).

so rising interest rates on accumulated debt, which was almost all caused by those who preceded Trump, was single highest added cost.

please tell us how Trump was responsible for that, as well as the 4% increases to ss, medicare and medicaid.

I did not read every line I scanned. You are correct, from what I scanned. I just wanted to add;

Obama took almost ONE TRILLION dollars from paid in MEDICARE from seniors, then denied them care, (you may just need a pill"=Obama)....and gave it to Obamacare, which was NEVER about health, but a way to put in 18 new taxes & regulations  to destroy our system & country!  Same "health" care plan that Hitler had, Should be a clue.

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2018, 08:27:21 pm »
I’m not trying to explain that he’s responsible for interest on past debt, but as the current President he’s responsible for doing something about the current debt especially since he promised that he could.  I think it’s common knowledge that a big part of the debt is due to entitlements and interest.  Our interest obligations will likely get worse as interest rates rise.  This is precisely why I believe we need entitlement reform and why we need to attack the debt and deficit NOW while Republicans control both the Congress and the Presidency, but unfortunately, we’re adding to it under this supposed "conservative" President.

Look, I’m not the one who said I could eliminate the debt within 8 years.  I thought it was just more gibberish from this guy, but he’s the one who set that expectation just as he set the expectation that he was going to “lock her up” that Mexico was going to pay for the wall that he was going to propose a Constitutional Amendment for term limits, that North Korea “is no longer a nuclear threat” that “The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!"  This guy has done some great things (especially economically), but unfortunately, he insists on stepping on his own message with broken promises (like this one on the debt), and by lies, falsehoods, and exaggerations (like his recent tweet about 100 years)…………..all unnecessarily IMO. 

Trump supporters seem to love to talk about how he keeps his promises and how conservative he is.  My point is that he hasn’t kept a bunch of promises and by adding trillions to the debt as he’s doing, he’s certainly not fiscally conservative.  I think he and the Republican Congress are blowing a huge opportunity to do something about our debt.  That’s my point and that's what's whacky to me (especially since he promised he could).
Ok, I see your point.

No one promised Rome to be built in a day, and Trump is no different.  My take is he is certainly headed in the correct direction by reducing federal payroll and scaling back immensely government largess authorized by Congress such as Education.  He could certainly do more if a responsible Congress would do its own job in reining in spending.

The deficit is not caused by the govt revenue stream.  That is at a record.

It is caused by spending.  Some long term problems are being addressed such as more Americans at work and off welfare.  Those results will not show up immediately, but with reduced expenditures by corporations on taxes, that money will be returned to the economy and increase its robustness. 

I believe the debt interest is a real problem and nothing he has done has been his responsibility.

Less than 10% of all US debt is over 20 years maturity.  That is absurd for long term debt and right now, inflation is causing all that short term maturity of debt to be higher in interest, much higher than it should be.  As a country, this debt repayment needs to be over a longer period, which will most decidedly be more expensive in interest over the short term but cause a lighter load on the next generation.

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »
Sure do.
The point, when faced with an out of control Congress, is at the tip of the president's pen.
Then you failed civics.

Only so much with that pen can Executive do.

What you advocate is some type of dictatorship rather than a Constitutional run government.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2018, 08:31:39 pm »
Then you failed civics.

What you advocate is some type of dictatorship rather than a Constitutional run government.

Wrong. The porkulus. He signed it. With hardly a whimper. That ain't anybody's fault but his.

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2018, 08:32:20 pm »
I did not read every line I scanned. You are correct, from what I scanned. I just wanted to add;

Obama took almost ONE TRILLION dollars from paid in MEDICARE from seniors, then denied them care, (you may just need a pill"=Obama)....and gave it to Obamacare, which was NEVER about health, but a way to put in 18 new taxes & regulations  to destroy our system & country!  Same "health" care plan that Hitler had, Should be a clue.
Yet one or more posters on this board believe ALL spending by government is essentially the same.

Offline DB

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
Then you failed civics.

Didn't even try to exercise his authority with the veto pen. Just signed it and whined about it... As if he was powerless to do anything at all... None of us is asking for a "dictatorship", just that he exercise the authority he was granted under the constitution towards what he claimed he was going to do.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2018, 08:34:46 pm »
Yet one or more posters on this board believe ALL spending by government is essentially the same.

It is. It is all debt. On our grandchildren. And great grandchildren.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2018, 08:34:56 pm »
Wrong. The porkulus. He signed it. With hardly a whimper. That ain't anybody's fault but his.

I sincerely wish he hadn't and has said that he would sign no more like it. I strongly disagree with you about it being entirely his fault.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2018, 08:35:44 pm »
not disagreeing that was the wrong thing to do.

My comment is that Congress can always over-ride Executive's pen anyway, which I wish Trump would have caused to happen.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2018, 08:37:20 pm »
Ok, I see your point.

No one promised Rome to be built in a day, and Trump is no different.  My take is he is certainly headed in the correct direction by reducing federal payroll and scaling back immensely government largess authorized by Congress such as Education.  He could certainly do more if a responsible Congress would do its own job in reining in spending.

The deficit is not caused by the govt revenue stream.  That is at a record.

It is caused by spending.  Some long term problems are being addressed such as more Americans at work and off welfare.  Those results will not show up immediately, but with reduced expenditures by corporations on taxes, that money will be returned to the economy and increase its robustness. 

I believe the debt interest is a real problem and nothing he has done has been his responsibility.

Less than 10% of all US debt is over 20 years maturity.  That is absurd for long term debt and right now, inflation is causing all that short term maturity of debt to be higher in interest, much higher than it should be.  As a country, this debt repayment needs to be over a longer period, which will most decidedly be more expensive in interest over the short term but cause a lighter load on the next generation.

I hear you on Congress, but I (along with many Trump supporters) didn’t give Obama a pass on adding trillions to the debt because of Congress, and I’m certainly not going to give the current President a pass on that either.  Further, this President repeatedly told us about what a “great dealmaker” he was and how he could get Congress (and just about anyone else) to do what he wanted them to.

I believe, given our current fiscal problems, that the corporate tax cut from 35% to 21% (which Trump was apparently enthusiastically supportive) was just a little too much decrease in revenues ($71B so far according to the link in the OP).  That same link noted that the deficit went up 32% ($222B) over the first 11 months of fiscal 2018 (despite good GDP growth).  Of course, it’s likely to “only” be $154B when timing issues are accounted for.  It’s forecast to approach $1T next year and be over a trillion the year after (a Presidential election year)!  I just don’t think this is sustainable or will put us on a path of eliminating the debt by 2025 as the President said that he could.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2018, 08:38:07 pm »
Didn't even try to exercise his authority with the veto pen. Just signed it and whined about it... As if he was powerless to do anything at all... None of us is asking for a "dictatorship", just that he exercise the authority he was granted under the constitution towards what he claimed he was going to do.

:amen: