Author Topic: Puerto Rico governor responds to Trump calling response to hurricane 'unsung success'  (Read 3600 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
“The historical relationship between Puerto Rico and Washington is unfair and unAmerican,” Rosselló said. “It is certainly not a successful relationship.”

Lets cut the bitches loose.

Damn right.  Let's see how they fare without Uncle Sugar's entitlement check.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I haven't been to PR, I've been to Latin America, so in a way, I could say so in a general way, maybe it's a bit Latin American, maybe it's a bit American (USA). I certainly have a friend who has told me quite a bit about the place. Some of the pictures I posted could easily look like Mexico, El Salvador and so on. I get the picture.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Not really. It is lot like Hawaii. You do have very nice tourist areas but you also have poverth, just like everywhere. But it was far from being a third world country. It just had the unique challenges of being an island. We had good friends there who lost everything (he is with the Air Force as an air traffic controller).

I know people like to spin it for their team, but the Puerto Rico emergency response was FUBAR on the federal and local level.

It is worse than Katrina because unlike the spin, recovery there was fast and well organized. Bureaucrats screwed up PR bigly. I'm not blaming the president, but he certainly shouldn't brag about that as any sort of victory.

I'll bet it is a lot more like Latin America and the Caribbean than Hawaii. I take Mystery-AK's word in this.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Whatever is still wrong in PR is the fault of PR.  Some weeks ago, there was an article lamenting that some donated items were rotting in warehouses because they were not distributed to the storm victims.  Supposedly, the National Guard was to have distributed these items, but the Guard was ordered home before they could do so,  But Geez Louise -- aren't there some people in PR who could distribute these things?

Sounds to me like Puerto Rico is one big gimmedat territory-- not willing to do anything for themselves.  No way would I support making PR another state.  We have enough leeches in the present 50 states.  We don't need more.  Cut off the aid and cut 'em loose.

@Applewood

The national motto of PR is "Iz not my yob,man!" Back when they could be drafted if living in the US,they would usually refuse to admit they could speak English to avoid having to do anything,and would get REALLY mad when you shouted something like "Speak English,MoFo! You couldn't have been drafted if you hadn't been able to speak English."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
PR has it's own Nat'l Guard..they could have distributed these items..

@mystery-ak

I did not know that,and yes,they could have if they wanted.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Guard has helicopters there..that's what Mike[hubby] did there..he inspected their helicopters and facilities.

@mystery-ak

What? You REALLY expect the political class to give up their helicopters just so the trash people can get food and water? They have friend,family,and donors that need those choppers to ride around in!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not really. It is lot like Hawaii. You do have very nice tourist areas but you also have poverth, just like everywhere. But it was far from being a third world country. It just had the unique challenges of being an island. We had good friends there who lost everything (he is with the Air Force as an air traffic controller).

I know people like to spin it for their team, but the Puerto Rico emergency response was FUBAR on the federal and local level.

It is worse than Katrina because unlike the spin, recovery there was fast and well organized. Bureaucrats screwed up PR bigly. I'm not blaming the president, but he certainly shouldn't brag about that as any sort of victory.

Local yes!  Bigly!  Federal no.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

There have been a number of referendums conducted in PR where the citizens could choose statehood, independence, or remaining the current status.
In a number of past referendums the vote was almost evenly split between those wanting statehood and those wanting   remaining  status. Independence votes never got more than five percent.
But in the latest referendum conducted last year the statehood people got 97% of the total vote with  current status and independent people only getting a little more than one percent.
One of the main arguments for the statehood people was that they would be eligible for more aid from the fed. gov.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

One of the main arguments for the statehood people was that they would be eligible for more aid from the fed. gov.

???

Don't they realize they also have to pay Federal Income Tax too?  Weird.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

???

Don't they realize they also have to pay Federal Income Tax too?  Weird.
Do welfare recipients have to pay anything in taxes?  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Do welfare recipients have to pay anything in taxes?  :pondering:

Someone's got be working down there.   :silly:

Offline mountaineer

Someone's got be working down there.   :silly:
Those in the tourism industry, anyway.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Applewood wrote:
"Sounds to me like Puerto Rico is one big gimmedat territory-- not willing to do anything for themselves.  No way would I support making PR another state.  We have enough leeches in the present 50 states.  We don't need more.  Cut off the aid and cut 'em loose."

You be right 'bout that.

PR should have been given its independence after the attack on Congress during the Truman administration.

Having said that, it would probably resemble Haiti by now.
If it's not gettin' close already!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Applewood wrote:
"Sounds to me like Puerto Rico is one big gimmedat territory-- not willing to do anything for themselves.  No way would I support making PR another state.  We have enough leeches in the present 50 states.  We don't need more.  Cut off the aid and cut 'em loose."

You be right 'bout that.

PR should have been given its independence after the attack on Congress during the Truman administration.

Having said that, it would probably resemble Haiti by now.
If it's not gettin' close already!

@Fishrrman

I could happily go along with leaving PR to stew in her own juices,but the real problem is that if we kick the island off the welfare rolls China will probably buy them and then have a staging base/shipping base just a few miles off our coast