Author Topic: Puerto Rico governor responds to Trump calling response to hurricane 'unsung success'  (Read 3523 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Puerto Rico governor responds to Trump calling response to hurricane 'unsung success'
By Avery Anapol - 09/11/18 08:57 PM EDT

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló on Tuesday issued a statement blasting President Trump’s comments that his administration’s response to the hurricanes in Puerto Rico was an “unsung success.”

The statement made reference to Puerto Rico’s lack of statehood, and made it clear that there is still work to be done to help Puerto Ricans recover from last year’s destruction.

“The historical relationship between Puerto Rico and Washington is unfair and unAmerican,” Rosselló said. “It is certainly not a successful relationship.”

Trump on Tuesday praised his administration’s response to Puerto Rico, calling it an “incredible, unsung success.”

“I actually think it was one of the best jobs that’s ever been done with respect to what this is all about,” he told reporters during an Oval Office briefing on the incoming Hurricane Florence. "The job that FEMA, and law enforcement and everybody did working along with the governor in Puerto Rico, I think was tremendous.”

more

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/406192-puerto-rico-governor-responds-to-trump-calling-response-to-hurricane
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
“The historical relationship between Puerto Rico and Washington is unfair and unAmerican,” Rosselló said. “It is certainly not a successful relationship.”

Lets cut the bitches loose. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Except for the tourist resorts PR is like a 3rd world country...trying to make this Trump's Katrina is grossly unfair.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Max Boot and Rick Santorum were on CNN tonight talking about this. I only caught some of the criticisms on twitter. Libs are raking Trump over the coals on this.
Trump attacked for calling Hurricane Maria response an 'incredible success'
Lauren Gambino in Washington
(picture)
Trump in Puerto Rico in October last year. Trump said on Tuesday in the Oval Office: ‘I think Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success.’© LA Times via Getty Images

Donald Trump on Tuesday touted the “incredible, unsung success” of the federal response last year in Puerto Rico, where the government estimates nearly 3,000 died as a result of Hurricane Maria.

The president’s remarks drew swift backlash from the island and the mainland as Trump sought to assure the public his administration was “ready as anybody has ever been” for the powerful 500-mile wide Hurricane Florence swirling toward the Carolinas.

“This is an offensive, hurtful and blatantly false comment from the president,” Senate minority leader Charles Schumer tweeted on Tuesday. “Nearly 3,000 of our fellow citizens died in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria. That is the complete opposite of ‘success.’”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/trump-attacked-for-calling-hurricane-maria-response-an-incredible-success/ar-BBNcY0h

Offline Frank Cannon

This jackhole Leftist runs a corrupt shithole. It was a success. It would have been a greater success if this corrupt piece of filth didn't allow govt' employees to loot and steal supplies and services from their own people.

Offline RoosGirl

Fine, I'm happy for my tax dollars not to be spent fixing that shithole up.  Sounds like they can do it better themselves, so let em.

Online mountaineer

Agree. Let them sink or swim on their own.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Puerto Rico governor responds to Trump calling response to hurricane 'unsung success'
By Avery Anapol - 09/11/18 08:57 PM EDT

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló on Tuesday issued a statement blasting President Trump’s comments that his administration’s response to the hurricanes in Puerto Rico was an “unsung success.”

The statement made reference to Puerto Rico’s lack of statehood, and made it clear that there is still work to be done to help Puerto Ricans recover from last year’s destruction.

Trump on Tuesday praised his administration’s response to Puerto Rico, calling it an “incredible, unsung success.”

“I actually think it was one of the best jobs that’s ever been done with respect to what this is all about,” he told reporters during an Oval Office briefing on the incoming Hurricane Florence. "The job that FEMA, and law enforcement and everybody did working along with the governor in Puerto Rico, I think was tremendous.”

more

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/406192-puerto-rico-governor-responds-to-trump-calling-response-to-hurricane

What did anyone expect from the CMMF of the Island of Parasites?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@The Ghost

Works for me as long as we also deport all the PR's living here and cut off all their welfare checks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Photos reportedly show massive stockpile of bottled water left on a runway for more than a year in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria
https://www.businessinsider.com/puerto-rico-water-bottle-fema-hurrican-maria-2018-9?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=reddit.com
Support the USO

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
This jackhole Leftist runs a corrupt shithole. It was a success. It would have been a greater success if this corrupt piece of filth didn't allow govt' employees to loot and steal supplies and services from their own people.
Maybe she should ask China for help next time, but she better be careful, China has a tendency to execute thieves like her.

Offline Frank Cannon

@The Ghost

Works for me as long as we also deport all the PR's living here and cut off all their welfare checks.

I would LOVE that. They are some of the biggest deadbeat welfare queens to ever walk the earth and they are damn proud about it. They are also a bunch of ungrateful lazy bums. I got about 5 solid years of tenant stories on the subject.

Offline Applewood

Whatever is still wrong in PR is the fault of PR.  Some weeks ago, there was an article lamenting that some donated items were rotting in warehouses because they were not distributed to the storm victims.  Supposedly, the National Guard was to have distributed these items, but the Guard was ordered home before they could do so,  But Geez Louise -- aren't there some people in PR who could distribute these things?

Sounds to me like Puerto Rico is one big gimmedat territory-- not willing to do anything for themselves.  No way would I support making PR another state.  We have enough leeches in the present 50 states.  We don't need more.  Cut off the aid and cut 'em loose.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Whatever is still wrong in PR is the fault of PR.  Some weeks ago, there was an article lamenting that some donated items were rotting in warehouses because they were not distributed to the storm victims.  Supposedly, the National Guard was to have distributed these items, but the Guard was ordered home before they could do so,  But Geez Louise -- aren't there some people in PR who could distribute these things?

Sounds to me like Puerto Rico is one big gimmedat territory-- not willing to do anything for themselves.  No way would I support making PR another state.  We have enough leeches in the present 50 states.  We don't need more.  Cut off the aid and cut 'em loose.

PR has it's own Nat'l Guard..they could have distributed these items..
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'The View' host trashes Trump's Puerto Rico comments: Government 'allowed its own citizens to die'
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/406295-the-view-host-trashes-trumps-puerto-rico-comments-government-allowed-its-own
Support the USO

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

They prolly did.....to the grifters that run the shithole island.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Didn't know that.  Thanks.  So why didn't the governor mobilize them to get the aid to the people?

And even if PR didn't have a National Guard -- where are the rest of the able-bodied to do the work?  No one volunteered? No one there to organize the distribution?

Offline thackney

Didn't know that.  Thanks.  So why didn't the governor mobilize them to get the aid to the people?

And even if PR didn't have a National Guard -- where are the rest of the able-bodied to do the work?  No one volunteered? No one there to organize the distribution?

Maria hit 9 days ago. Less than half of the Puerto Rico National Guard is on duty.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/09/29/maria-hit-9-days-ago-less-than-half-of-the-puerto-rico-national-guard-is-on-duty/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8738feea7a19

...But nine days after Hurricane Maria, a striking trend has emerged: Less than half of the 8,000 members of the Puerto Rico National Guard are on duty. Army Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan, the top U.S. officer overseeing military operations on the island, attributed this to a combination of factors. Many personnel are dealing with the devastation in their own lives, he said, and some are providing help in their full-time jobs as police, firefighters or other first responders rather than through the Guard.

The struggle to activate National Guard troops comes as Puerto Rico grapples with devastation that U.S. officials have, repeatedly, called unprecedented while defending the federal government’s response. A growing number of critics have questioned why more U.S. forces were not deployed sooner. The storm cut a 60-mile wide swath across the island with Category-4 strength, knocking out the electrical grid and leaving people desperate for food, clean water and medical care....

...In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott (R) activated all 7,000 members of the Florida National Guard before Hurricane Irma pummeled the state. In Texas, all 12,000 members were activated within two days of Hurricane Harvey coming ashore with Category-4 strength.

The comparatively small number of Guard troops on duty in Puerto Rico appears to underscore a disconnect between pleas made on the ground by civilians on the ground since the storm, and the federal government’s relatively modest response at first....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Except for the tourist resorts PR is like a 3rd world country...trying to make this Trump's Katrina is grossly unfair.

Not really. It is lot like Hawaii. You do have very nice tourist areas but you also have poverth, just like everywhere. But it was far from being a third world country. It just had the unique challenges of being an island. We had good friends there who lost everything (he is with the Air Force as an air traffic controller).

I know people like to spin it for their team, but the Puerto Rico emergency response was FUBAR on the federal and local level.

It is worse than Katrina because unlike the spin, recovery there was fast and well organized. Bureaucrats screwed up PR bigly. I'm not blaming the president, but he certainly shouldn't brag about that as any sort of victory.

Offline ABX

Maria hit 9 days ago. Less than half of the Puerto Rico National Guard is on duty.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/09/29/maria-hit-9-days-ago-less-than-half-of-the-puerto-rico-national-guard-is-on-duty/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8738feea7a19

...But nine days after Hurricane Maria, a striking trend has emerged: Less than half of the 8,000 members of the Puerto Rico National Guard are on duty. Army Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan, the top U.S. officer overseeing military operations on the island, attributed this to a combination of factors. Many personnel are dealing with the devastation in their own lives, he said, and some are providing help in their full-time jobs as police, firefighters or other first responders rather than through the Guard.

The struggle to activate National Guard troops comes as Puerto Rico grapples with devastation that U.S. officials have, repeatedly, called unprecedented while defending the federal government’s response. A growing number of critics have questioned why more U.S. forces were not deployed sooner. The storm cut a 60-mile wide swath across the island with Category-4 strength, knocking out the electrical grid and leaving people desperate for food, clean water and medical care....

...In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott (R) activated all 7,000 members of the Florida National Guard before Hurricane Irma pummeled the state. In Texas, all 12,000 members were activated within two days of Hurricane Harvey coming ashore with Category-4 strength.

The comparatively small number of Guard troops on duty in Puerto Rico appears to underscore a disconnect between pleas made on the ground by civilians on the ground since the storm, and the federal government’s relatively modest response at first....

According to a friend who was there with the Air Force, they are still living in tents in many places and you simply can't get from one side of the island to another due to damage still not cleaned up. He said when they were at Ramey, they could see supply ships but they were just sitting offshore while government bureaucrats in DC and PR argued over crap and how long it took to lift the Jones Act.

Then, when they were docked, they couldn't get supplies anywhere because roads were still blocked and there were no trucks- either destroyed, stranded, or they just didn't show up.

It was and is FUBAR.

Offline Applewood

I was in Puerto Rico once, but all I saw was the airport and the route the shuttle took to get my mother and me to a cruise ship.  Along the way, Mom and I saw practically nothing but slums.  I was glad we weren't spending too much time in Puerto Rico.  I would have felt unsafe.

Offline ABX

Not when you can't get past the roads, the trucks are destroyed, and truckers don't even show up (mostly for the first two reasons).
Destroyed roads need trucks to bring repair supplies but you can't get truck there because of the destroyed roads.

This needed a big step in leadership and coordination from someone. No one did.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Not really. It is lot like Hawaii. You do have very nice tourist areas but you also have poverth, just like everywhere. But it was far from being a third world country. It just had the unique challenges of being an island. We had good friends there who lost everything (he is with the Air Force as an air traffic controller).

I know people like to spin it for their team, but the Puerto Rico emergency response was FUBAR on the federal and local level.

It is worse than Katrina because unlike the spin, recovery there was fast and well organized. Bureaucrats screwed up PR bigly. I'm not blaming the president, but he certainly shouldn't brag about that as any sort of victory.

I'll take your word for it..I was relying on hubby's description of the island...he's been there several times on Army business.
Support the USO

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Tropical islands may share certain traits but Puerto Rico does have a lot of areas that look like other parts of Latin America. BTW, in Mexico some building a few years ago fell down and it just came out in the news that corruption was why it was built so faultily.

PR:

If, what is the figure is 3,000 dead...along with Cuba being hit hard, which it was, it's not hard to imagine the damage and hardship done though that figure is hard to reconcile. Haiti suffered some years ago, I think that was an earthquake.   

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Not when you can't get past the roads, the trucks are destroyed, and truckers don't even show up (mostly for the first two reasons).
Destroyed roads need trucks to bring repair supplies but you can't get truck there because of the destroyed roads.

This needed a big step in leadership and coordination from someone. No one did.

The Guard has helicopters there..that's what Mike[hubby] did there..he inspected their helicopters and facilities.
Support the USO