Author Topic: The Big Five Personality Traits & what they mean for your Political Views.  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The Big Five Personality Traits & what they mean for your Political Views.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 12:30:59 am »
Are you suggesting that we can measure the personality traits of human beings like we do the length of pieces of lumber?  If so,  I think you are far off base.

I think it's more like measuring the distance to a star.  We can't lay a measuring tape against it like we do a 2x4, but yes, we can get measurements that work.  And, we're not talking about a whole person's unique personality; we're talking about 5 measurable facets of a personality.  That's all.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 12:36:52 am »
I think it's more like measuring the distance to a star.  We can't lay a measuring tape against it like we do a 2x4, but yes, we can get measurements that work.  And, we're not talking about a whole person's unique personality; we're talking about 5 measurable facets of a personality.  That's all.

Ok.  Maybe I'll get my head wrapped around that someday.  Don't hold your breath.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 12:39:37 am »
Ok.  Maybe I'll get my head wrapped around that someday.  Don't hold your breath.

Heck no.  I'm going to go have a glass of wine.  That was almost like work. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 12:44:10 am »
Where did the liberal and economic liberal come in?  I got lost.

The article split personality types into those who lean conservative & liberal on economic & social policy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 01:19:24 am »
The article split personality types into those who lean conservative & liberal on economic & social policy.

Oh, ok.  This bit:

1. People who were high in conscientiousness leaned conservative on economic policy (favoring hard work and organization as well as social policy (strict adherence to traditional social norms).

2. People who were high in openness leaned liberal on economic policy (favoring new programs and interventions) as well as social policy (favoring complexity and novelty).

3. People who were high in agreeableness leaned liberal on economic policy (wanting to help the disadvantaged) and leaned conservative on social policy (the desire to maintain harmony and traditional relationships).

4. People who were high in neuroticism leaned liberal on both.

The findings showed that high conscientiousness is the best predictor of conservative political belief, and high openness is the best predictor of liberal political belief. Conservatively-minded people are more likely to be organized and goal-oriented, whereas liberally-minded people are more likely to be creative and open to new ideas. Here’s an example: a liberal would be more inclined to come up with a good idea for a business, and the conservative would be more inclined to enact that idea through routine and repetition.

Is this it?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 01:50:12 am »
Oh, ok.  This bit:

Is this it?

Yep. I believe the distinction between economic and social has much more to do with self interests than anything else.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 01:59:06 am »
Yep. I believe the distinction between economic and social has much more to do with self interests than anything else.

I've yet to meet a conservative welfare recipient.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 02:17:32 am »

I'm not sure what you mean.  It's a complex subject.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 03:21:29 am »
The US military has done intelligence and aptitude testing for 100+ years.

Three IQ tests that I took at ages 11 and 20 are within 2-3 points.

I firmly believe in testing, categorization, etc.

Most people will test closely over long times(repeatability)

These 5 categories are not "arbitrary," but instead the result of study over fairly lone timeframes.

Th e categories themselves, predate using them for political classification.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 03:38:51 am »

These 5 categories are not "arbitrary," but instead the result of study over fairly lone timeframes.

Excellent summary.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 03:42:07 am »

Oh yeah? Well then how did this dumb as a stump azzhole become a General?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 03:43:42 am »
Oh yeah? Well then how did this dumb as a stump azzhole become a General?

Grandfathered in.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:37 am »

Whether any of it means anything is something else altogether.

I test very high in IQ because my thinking process is based around determining options, and taking decisions within a rigid structure. Each option chosen results in a decision, which leads to more options, more decisions, and etc - Basically 'critical path' thinking... A grand process of elimination, leading to a result. And because I can build that structure out, into the future or beyond the circumstance, it becomes self predicting...

It works well for me - But I am also quite aware of my limits - And there are more fluid forms of thinking that in some instances would serve me better, that I am incapable of performing.

Most people can function in a more seat-of-the-pants way, falling into opportunities by chance, that I will never see because of my brooding.  That is offset, because I make my own opportunities by design, but which is smarter is a question for the ages.

One seat-of-the-pants guy that I am thinking of particularly is my best friend. He has a quick wit, but he never has scores well in IQ tests. Low average, at best. We work very well together - I am far-seeing, and he is day-to-day, and never the twain shall meet. But put the two together...

But as a matter of intelligence, if asked which of us is smarter, I would be hard pressed to take that prize. His way is different than mine, but in no way less valid.

And that is the problem with setting standards. That which doesn't fit them is often valid anyway, and may actually perform far better than the predictable standards can assume.

JMO  :shrug:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 04:33:37 am »
This is the adventurous type—those who climb mountains and take hallucinogens on the weekend.

Hopefully not at the same time... unless they're liberals.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 04:37:48 am »
Hopefully not at the same time... unless they're liberals.

You're more of the take hallucinogens and binge on Orange is the New Black type I take.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 04:39:34 am »
You're more of the take hallucinogens and binge on Orange is the New Black type I take.

Sure, I guess taking hallucinogens might be a way to get me to watch Orange is the New Black.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 04:49:26 am »
Sure, I guess taking hallucinogens might be a way to get me to watch Orange is the New Black.

Someone told me the show was modeled on your life.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:32 am »
Someone told me the show was modeled on your life.

Right, so why would I watch it again?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 05:03:43 am »
Right, so why would I watch it again?

For the shower scenes.

Offline thackney

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 11:46:44 am »
To believe this you must first believe these arbitrary personality categories have meaning.

I had worked several large pipeline projects with the same project manager.  We clashed nearly everyday in meetings and private discussions.  Our client put all the leadership team through a team building, 5 day class that focused on personality differences and how they impacted communication.

There was an immense improvement in the whole project team morale, better productivity and far less arguments for the following projects over a couple of years.

I strongly believe in these differences and categories.  I have learned first hand how they impact how people hear and view decisions and other communication.  It became very important to us in both understanding your own personality and those of other key people in your life.  Number one comment after completing the class was a great desire for spouse to take the same class.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 01:05:10 pm »
...One seat-of-the-pants guy that I am thinking of particularly is my best friend. He has a quick wit, but he never has scores well in IQ tests. Low average, at best. We work very well together - I am far-seeing, and he is day-to-day, and never the twain shall meet. But put the two together...

Key to that is each understanding their own and the other's strength and weakness.  When you each give the other the decisions in their strength and your weakness, success often follows.

Otherwise, some will just consistently argue and accomplish little.  Understanding the differences and accepting the difference is key to success.  Learning the personality differences is one of the ways of understanding.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:06:22 pm by thackney »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 07:54:55 pm »
Key to that is each understanding their own and the other's strength and weakness.  When you each give the other the decisions in their strength and your weakness, success often follows.

Otherwise, some will just consistently argue and accomplish little.  Understanding the differences and accepting the difference is key to success.  Learning the personality differences is one of the ways of understanding.

@thackney
That's right. And the value of a good CEO, or manager, or straw-boss is in recognizing those traits and clearing the path for efficiency by delegating tasking properly...

And NOT by being the 'adventurous type—those who climb mountains and take hallucinogens on the weekend.'  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2018, 07:56:43 pm »
I had worked several large pipeline projects with the same project manager.  We clashed nearly everyday in meetings and private discussions.  Our client put all the leadership team through a team building, 5 day class that focused on personality differences and how they impacted communication.

There was an immense improvement in the whole project team morale, better productivity and far less arguments for the following projects over a couple of years.

Yeah... We do that too... Usually out behind the barn. Then beers.
 :beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2018, 08:01:26 pm »
@thackney
That's right. And the value of a good CEO, or manager, or straw-boss is in recognizing those traits and clearing the path for efficiency by delegating tasking properly...

And NOT by being the 'adventurous type—those who climb mountains and take hallucinogens on the weekend.'  *****rollingeyes*****

Yes, you got it!  Some people make good managers, some people are natural-born entrepreneurs and NOT good managers.  And, sheesh, no need to roll your eyes.  What have I done to earn that?

Offline thackney

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2018, 08:07:41 pm »
Yeah... We do that too... Usually out behind the barn. Then beers.
 :beer:

This project manager and I clashed badly for over a couple years.  We both respected what each got done but was always pissed off at each other.  Day two of that class was a huge light bulb going off for both of us.

We hated each other too much to consider meeting socially after work.