Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27611 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 :silly:

too funny
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Sanford Dam fails due to rising waters from Florence

BOILING SPRING LAKES, NC (WECT) -

At 7:10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15, the Sanford Dam failed due to the immense influx of water from former Hurricane Florence.

The City of Boiling Spring Lakes posted on Facebook that The Big Lake, Pine Lake and North Lake were all draining at a rapid pace.

Mayor Pro-tem Steven Barger told WECT reporters that the city had attempted a controlled breach to prevent the dam breaking, but they couldn't reach it in time.

http://www.kxxv.com/story/39099087/sanford-dam-fails-due-to-rising-waters-from-florence

Offline thackney

7:27 p.m.: Storm death toll rises to 17
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/09/16/florence-several-deaths-reported-as-storm-swamps-carolinas/?utm_term=.7ad9a768538f

Officials in Gaston County, N.C., said a 3-month-old was killed Sunday when a tree fell through the family’s single-wide mobile home. The infant and the mother were taken to a hospital, where the baby died, said Maj. Jamie McConnell with Gaston County EMS.

At least 11 people have died as a result of the storm in North Carolina, and six in South Carolina.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online cato potatoe

Now the deluge has moved inland, where it will continue all night.  The soil is clay, so the vast majority will have to drain through the already flooded Cape Fear, Lumber, Neuse, and Pee Dee rivers.  It could take a while before things improve down east.

Offline Applewood

Now the deluge has moved inland, where it will continue all night.  The soil is clay, so the vast majority will have to drain through the already flooded Cape Fear, Lumber, Neuse, and Pee Dee rivers.  It could take a while before things improve down east.

Yes.  Moving north too.  Some rain in West Virginia now, crossing into PA later this morning. 

But the local forecast in western PA calls for maybe an inch or two of rain at the most.  Nothing like what the Carolinas got and are still getting. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Lumberton volunteers try and fail to save city from Lumber River flooding

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2018/09/16/hurricane-tropical-storm-depression-florence-lumberton-volunteers-levee-fails-lumber-river-flooding/1331960002/

LUMBERTON, N.C. - An effort by volunteers to save parts of their city from the ravages of Tropical Depression Florence ended in heartbreak Sunday.

A set of temporary levees built to save the south and west sides of Lumberton from being swamped failed when water piling up on the north side of the Lumber River compromised the structures and poured through.

Volunteers and members of the National Guard had hoped to prevent the misery and destruction experienced two years ago when deadly Hurricane Matthew tore through the eastern North Carolina city.

They piled 5,000 sandbags along with gravel and chunks of asphalt ripped from the parking lot of a nearby church.

But by 3 p.m. one of the raised walls broke. Later that evening onlookers cleared out quickly as the main levee started to give. Most moved to a closed section of Interstate 95 to watch.

Lumberton has received 2 feet of rain in the last two days pushing the Lumber River up to 25 feet, nearly a foot higher than it reached during Matthew.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Rivers are rising here in Virginia. Radford University told their students to move their cars away from the lots next to the New River.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I heard this morning on one of my podcasts that the WaPo on Friday said Trump was complicit in the deaths from Florence.

WTF?

I guess he found and dusted off the VRWC Weather Machine in the basement of the White House.  :silly:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online mountaineer

I heard this morning on one of my podcasts that the WaPo on Friday said Trump was complicit in the deaths from Florence.
Yes, he failed to take "climate change" seriously enough to take steps to prevent it, thus hurricanes.

It should be noted that no previous president throughout U.S. history, including the sainted Obama, was able to prevent hurricanes, either. None of them even tried. The WashPost is most aggrieved at James K. Polk, as he was especially unconcerned about the whole matter. He said, "What the hell? Do I believe human beings can change the weather? I am not an idiot, sir!"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

Florence death toll rises to 23 as flooding continues
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45544424

...At a news conference on Monday, Gov Cooper said "catastrophic flooding and tornados are still claiming lives and property" across the state.

"For many parts of north Carolina the danger is still immediate," he said. "Some areas have not seen the worst flooding yet. This is a monumental disaster for our state."

In Wilmington, with its population of about 120,000, some 400 people have had to be rescued from flood waters, and most of the city remains without power.

The governor said that 23 truckloads of supplies were able to make it into Wilmington this morning, though officials are uncertain whether the single road into the city will remain functional as rivers continue to flood.

The National Weather Service has warned of at least two further days of possible flash flooding in the area before conditions are forecast to improve....

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:59:01 pm by thackney »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yes, he failed to take "climate change" seriously enough to take steps to prevent it, thus hurricanes.

It should be noted that no previous president throughout U.S. history, including the sainted Obama, was able to prevent hurricanes, either. None of them even tried. The WashPost is most aggrieved at James K. Polk, as he was especially unconcerned about the whole matter. He said, "What the hell? Do I believe human beings can change the weather? I am not an idiot, sir!"

Personally I'm looking forward to the next round of climate change here in a couple weeks as the seasons change and it becomes fall.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline musiclady

Not that it matters in the scheme of things, but we here in the middle of Ohio are only getting one day of drizzle from Florence.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Pollution fears: Swollen rivers swamp ash dumps, hog farms

https://www.newstimes.com/news/us/article/Pollution-fears-Swollen-rivers-swamp-ash-dumps-13234323.php

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Flooded rivers from Florence's drenching rains have swamped coal ash dumps and low-lying hog farms, raising pollution concerns as the swollen waterways approach their crests Monday.

North Carolina environmental regulators say several open-air manure pits at hog farms have failed, spilling pollution. State officials also were monitoring the breach of a Duke Energy coal ash landfill near Wilmington.

Department of Environmental Quality Secretary Michael Regan said Monday that the earthen dam at one hog lagoon in Duplin County had been breached. There were also seven reports of lagoon levels going over their tops or being inundated in Jones and Pender counties.

Regan said state investigators will visit the sites as conditions allow. The large pits at hog farms hold feces and urine from the animals to be sprayed on nearby fields.

The Associated Press published photos of a hog farm outside Trenton on Sunday with long metal buildings ringed by dark water. Satellite photos of the same farm taken before the storm show the location of a hog waste pit completely submerged under floodwaters in the AP photos.

The N.C. Pork Council, an industry trade group, emphasized Monday that the hog waste pits flooded by Florence represented a comparatively small number when compared with the total number statewide.

Offline Frank Cannon

Rivers are rising here in Virginia. Radford University told their students to move their cars away from the lots next to the New River.

Typical. Building a new river that floods when the old one was just fine.

Offline thackney

Pollution fears: Swollen rivers swamp ash dumps, hog farms

https://www.newstimes.com/news/us/article/Pollution-fears-Swollen-rivers-swamp-ash-dumps-13234323.php

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Flooded rivers from Florence's drenching rains have swamped coal ash dumps and low-lying hog farms, raising pollution concerns as the swollen waterways approach their crests Monday.

North Carolina environmental regulators say several open-air manure pits at hog farms have failed, spilling pollution. State officials also were monitoring the breach of a Duke Energy coal ash landfill near Wilmington.

Department of Environmental Quality Secretary Michael Regan said Monday that the earthen dam at one hog lagoon in Duplin County had been breached. There were also seven reports of lagoon levels going over their tops or being inundated in Jones and Pender counties.

Regan said state investigators will visit the sites as conditions allow. The large pits at hog farms hold feces and urine from the animals to be sprayed on nearby fields.

The Associated Press published photos of a hog farm outside Trenton on Sunday with long metal buildings ringed by dark water. Satellite photos of the same farm taken before the storm show the location of a hog waste pit completely submerged under floodwaters in the AP photos.

The N.C. Pork Council, an industry trade group, emphasized Monday that the hog waste pits flooded by Florence represented a comparatively small number when compared with the total number statewide.

Before the storm, I was reading articles talking about how many of the hog farms pumped out their waste pits in preparation for the coming water.  I'm sure it wasn't all of them, but preparations were made in advance.

Hog Farmers Scramble to Drain Waste Pools Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/09/11/646790793/hog-farmers-scramble-to-drain-waste-pools-ahead-of-hurricane-florence
September 11, 2018

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Hurricane Florence updates: 32 dead, including 25 dead in North Carolina

https://abc30.com/weather/florence-updates-23-dead-including-17-in-nc/4244283/

Thirty-two people have died as a result of Florence with 25 of those deaths in North Carolina, the Associated Press reports.

On Sunday night, the body of a 1-year-old was found in Union County. His mother had escaped her car with him after the vehicle was washed away by floodwaters, but then she lost her grip and the boy was swept away, authorities said.

Governor Roy Cooper confirmed all the North Carolina deaths in a press conference Monday. The North Carolina Department of Public Safety released a break-down of deaths per county.

On Sunday afternoon, Gaston County commissioner Tracy Philbeck said a 3-month-old child was killed when a tree fell on their home.

In South Carolina, officials are investigating after a man drove into standing water on Pond Branch Road near Gilbert and died.

A husband and wife who died in a Fayetteville house fire are now counted among the dead from Florence.

Two deaths were reported in Duplin County on Saturday afternoon.

The Duplin County Sheriff's Office did not say exactly how the pair died; however, they said their deaths were related to flash flooding and swift water on roadways.

More at link above.

Offline LadyLiberty

The death of the one year old is doubly tragic to me.  His mother's car was swept off the road after she decided to drive around some barricades.  That baby should still be alive.

Offline Frank Cannon

The death of the one year old is doubly tragic to me.  His mother's car was swept off the road after she decided to drive around some barricades.  That baby should still be alive.

Yeah. I don't see why that mother isn't charged with negligent homicide.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Photos, videos show historic tornado outbreak across Central Virginia
https://wtvr.com/2018/09/17/virginia-tornado-outbreak-photos-videos-september-17-florence/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Not that it matters in the scheme of things, but we here in the middle of Ohio are only getting one day of drizzle from Florence.

The big rain we were supposed to get in western PA was largely a bust too.  Some counties further east and south got a lot more.  It's moving away from my area now.  In fact, the streets and sidewalks are already dry.

Offline Applewood

People who try to drive through standing water ought to be shot.  Where I live, there are roads that flood every time there are a few drops of rain.  And every time, some dummy tries to drive through a flood and invariably has to be rescued.  Even I know (I don't drive) there is no way of knowing how deep that large puddle of water really is.

Offline Suppressed

Had an Ãœber driver in San Antonio tell me she was from New Orleans, but had been in San Antonio for 13 years.  I did the math and asked, "Katrina?" 

She told me, "The day before Katrina hit; my husband and I loaded up the kids and had no idea where we were going, and we've never gone back."

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Before the storm, I was reading articles talking about how many of the hog farms pumped out their waste pits in preparation for the coming water.  I'm sure it wasn't all of them, but preparations were made in advance.

Hog Farmers Scramble to Drain Waste Pools Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/09/11/646790793/hog-farmers-scramble-to-drain-waste-pools-ahead-of-hurricane-florence
September 11, 2018

Yeah, in many cases applying it to fields where it is immediately washed off as runoff, into streams.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

North Carolina gov pleads with storm evacuees to be patient
https://www.apnews.com/108e14b89b964417beaec551ed01e691/North-Carolina-gov-pleads-with-storm-evacuees-to-be-patient

With Wilmington still mostly an island surrounded by Hurricane Florence’s floodwaters and people waiting for hours for handouts of necessities like food, North Carolina’s governor is pleading with thousands of evacuees to be patient and not return home just yet.

“I know it was hard to leave home, and it is even harder to wait and wonder whether you even have a home to go back to,” Gov. Roy Cooper said as officials began distributing supplies to residents of Wilmington, population 120,000.

The death toll rose to at least 37 in three states Tuesday, with 27 fatalities in North Carolina, as Florence’s remnants went in two directions: Water flowed downstream toward the Carolina coast, and storms raced through the Northeast, where flash floods hit New Hampshire and New York state .

Cooper warned that the flooding set off by as much as 3 feet (1 meter) of rain from Florence is far from over and will get worse in places....