Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27357 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Florence: Death toll rises to at least 11

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/09/15/hurricane-florence-storm-continues-to-pummel-carolinas/?utm_term=.86cc43301074

8:18 p.m.: Officials say at least 11 dead as a result of Florence

Tropical Storm Florence, which made landfall as a hurricane on Friday, was being blamed for at least 11 deaths as of Saturday night as its torrential rains continued to soak North Carolina and South Carolina during a slow march westward.

On Saturday evening, the North Carolina Office of the Medical Examiner issued a news release saying that it had confirmed seven storm-related deaths, including a 41-year-old woman and her seven-month-old son who died in Wilmington on Friday when a tree fell on their home. The state also listed the deaths of a 78-year-old man in Lenoir County, who died when he was electrocuted; a 77-year-old man in Lenoir County who fell and died due to a cardiac problem while outside checking on dogs during the storm; an 81-year-old man in Wayne County who fell and struck his head while packing to evacuate; and a husband and wife who died in a house fire in Cumberland County.

Local officials have confirmed three additional deaths in North Carolina connected to the storm. The Duplin County Sheriff’s Office said two people died when flash flooding overwhelmed roads on Saturday; in Pender County, officials said that a woman died Friday morning when she was having a heart attack and emergency crews were unable to reach her in time due to downed trees and debris in the road.

In South Carolina, a 61-year-old woman was killed late Friday when the vehicle she was driving struck a tree, according to Gov. Henry McMaster (R), who announced the death at a news conference Saturday afternoon.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The MSM likes to "present" the news in a dramatic fashion.
! No longer available
Other reporters take the job seriously.
! No longer available

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Other reporters take the job seriously.
! No longer available

The thing that ticks me off, is that Dollar General called the police off and asked them to let the looters have free reign. They probable knew they were insured and every item stolen was money in their pockets. Ticks me off because insurance rates go up when police and businesses let this happen. Screw Dollar General and the police that stood by and didn't do dittly squat.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The thing that ticks me off, is that Dollar General called the police off and asked them to let the looters have free reign. They probable knew they were insured and every item stolen was money in their pockets. Ticks me off because insurance rates go up when police and businesses let this happen. Screw Dollar General and the police that stood by and didn't do dittly squat.

It figures that looters would go to a Dollar General. They called off the cops because the entire inventory of the entire store was likely between 50 to 100 thousand. This is an invisible amount, less than a margin of error, in the corporation's yearly gross. They just didn't care. They are going through hard times. Let them have it. Consider it a donation to flood relief.

Who goes to a DG for looting. The store is full of cheap crap and junk. If I were going to loot someplace, I would head downtown or to a mall. Get some jewelry or something I can hock or sell afterwards. You can't resale or hock anything from DG. The stuff is worthless junk.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:20:21 am by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

Actually, I suspect they feared their store being burnt to the ground and/or black listed by angry locals if the police were seen defending it. It is the "community" they serve... It is the cost of doing business there.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Actually, I suspect they feared their store being burnt to the ground and/or black listed by angry locals if the police were seen defending it. It is the "community" they serve... It is the cost of doing business there.
I had not thought of that but I bet that was a factor.  God forbid if someone got shot while resisting arrest.  Might have a riot and a hurricane.  That's messed in my white privileged opinion.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Before and after Surf City, NC.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Before and after Surf City, NC.

Are these beach house owners vulnerable to losing their property due to the movement of the vegetation line?

I know here in Texas, the vegetation line is used to determine whether beach land is public land or not.

Who owns NC beaches? Case puts public access in jeopardy

https://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article98142022.html

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

They should not be to hard to track down.  All the cockroaches scurried across the street to the public housing projects. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Looting... a dollar store?

What's the point?

Offline Applewood

Looting... a dollar store?

What's the point?

I don't know.  Sell the merchandise for drug money? 

Actually, I don't disparage dollar stores.    The Family Dollar near me sells huge bags of cellulose sponges for a buck.  They are all rejects -- cut crooked, weird shapes or some other defect -- but they work just as well as the perfect O'Cello sponges costing a lot more.  I like to stop in that store from time to time.  Never know what I might find that's actually worthwhile.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I don't know.  Sell the merchandise for drug money? 

Actually, I don't disparage dollar stores.    The Family Dollar near me sells huge bags of cellulose sponges for a buck.  They are all rejects -- cut crooked, weird shapes or some other defect -- but they work just as well as the perfect O'Cello sponges costing a lot more.  I like to stop in that store from time to time.  Never know what I might find that's actually worthwhile.

Good thing they didn't have any Heineken...

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I had not thought of that but I bet that was a factor.  God forbid if someone got shot while resisting arrest.  Might have a riot and a hurricane.  That's messed in my white privileged opinion.

I happen to share that opinion.  This is "Gibsmedat" on steroids.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Gibs-Me-Dat" (n.) Annuities, in the form of goods, services, or material (usually welfare checks) given predominately to minorities, in exchange for their tacit agreement to reciprocate by not burning down America's cities.

"Yo Tyrone, who you be votin foe in 2012?"

"I gots to go wit Obama baby. The democrats be givin out moe betta gibsmedat."

Urban Dictionary
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/16/us/hurricane-florence-path.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/16/us/hurricane-florence-path.html

...The Carolinas were drenched and largely paralyzed Sunday morning as a weakened Tropical Depression Florence slowly ravaged the South, swelling the region’s rivers and leaving the authorities bracing for another day of widespread — and, they feared, potentially catastrophic — rainfall and flooding.

Even as the storm both lost some of its power and sped up, leaving less time for its steady rains to saturate the places in its path, the death toll increased to at least 14, and rivers were rising fast. Forecasters warned that flooding, already frighteningly common this weekend, was virtually certain to worsen within hours....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline thackney

Tropical Depression Florence | Report #7
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2018/09/f55/Hurricane%20Florence%20DOE%20Event%20Summary%20Report%207%20-%20September%2016%2C%202018%20morning.pdf
REPORT TIME & DATE: 9:00 AM EDT | Sunday, September 16, 2018

Electricity Sector Summary
ï‚· The following outages have been reported at as of 8:00 AM:
o North Carolina: 684,392 customer outages (13.8%) – Decrease of 8.3% since last report
o South Carolina: 54,653 customer outages (2.2%) – Decrease of 42.6% since last report
ï‚· Crews in the impacted area have begun to perform damage assessments and restorations as the
weather and flooding permit.
ï‚· Utilities are expected to begin to provide initial estimated restoration timelines early this week.
ï‚· DOE is working with utilities on access and routing to impacted areas.
ï‚· Restoration efforts will be limited until the storm moves out of the area. Crews are unable to
operate in heavily flooded areas or when wind speeds are over 30 MPH.

Oil & Natural Gas Sector Summary
ï‚· All ports have reopened expect Wilmington, North Carolina.
ï‚· There are localized retail fuel station outages due to increased demand from evacuees.
o Gasoline inventories at terminals and pipelines in the Lower Atlantic region were 10%
above the 5-year average as of September 7.
o States are working with industry to expedite resupply shipments to impacted areas.
o Resupply shipments were suspended during the storm.
ï‚· A regional hour-of-service wavier is in effect for the impacted area and surrounding states.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Applewood

Do the pets get reunited with their owners or are they abandoned?

I know a few people who adopted pets from Katrina
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Applewood

I saw a tip on Bookface before the storm:  Take a permanent marker and write your name and cell phone number on your pet's belly, even if he/she has a chip.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:59:39 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I saw a tip on Bookface before the storm:  Take a permanent marker and write your name and cell phone number on your pet's belly, even if he/she has a chip.

Back in college we used to do that to our frat pledges.  This was before the days of "chips"  but we never lost one in my 7 years in college.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Back in college we used to do that to our frat pledges.  This was before the days of "chips"  but we never lost one in my 7 years in college.

We didn't either, at our house.  Even when we kidnapped them and dropped them off in the Amish town just over the border in Indiana they always found their way back.
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

Storm Summary Number 11 for Heavy Rain and Wind Associated with
Florence
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
1100 AM EDT Sun Sep 16 2018

...Heavy rainfall and tropical storm-force wind gusts continue to
impact the Carolinas...

For a detailed graphical depiction of the latest watches, warnings
and advisories, please see www.weather.gov

At 1000 AM EDT...These are preliminary rainfall and wind
observations associated with Tropical Depression Florence. For
additional information, please refer to the latest advisories and
discussions from the Weather Prediction Center at
www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov

...Selected preliminary Storm Total Rainfall in inches from 200 PM
EDT Thu Sep 13 through 1000 AM EDT Sun Sep 16...

...NORTH CAROLINA...
SWANSBORO 1.4 N                      33.89                   
HOFMANN FOREST RAWS                  29.43                   
SUNNY POINT RAWS                     27.22                   
NATURE CONSERVANCY RAWS              26.77                   
NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NWS WFO        25.20                   
EMERALD ISLE 0.2 ENE                 23.66                   
WILMINGTON INTL AP                   23.59                   
SUPPLY 4 NNW                         21.92                   
CEDAR POINT 0.9 WSW                  21.73                   
CROATAN RAWS                         21.68                   
BOLIVIA 7.8 SW                       21.59                   
LUMBERTON                            21.51                   
MOREHEAD CITY .6 NW                  21.20                   
MT. OLIVE 0.4 NW                     20.82                   
ELIZABETHTOWN 6.2 NW                 20.17                   
BACK ISLAND RAWS                     19.91                   
TRENTON                              19.71                   
MAYSVILLE 3.4 SSW                    18.50                   
TURNBULL CREEK RAWS                  18.04                   
ELIZABETHTOWN 4 NNE                  17.72                   
KINSTON 6 SW                         16.01                   
TRENT WOODS 1.3 SSE                  15.57                   
RALEIGH-DURHAM INTL AP                4.43                   
CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTL AP             2.86                   

...SOUTH CAROLINA...
MARION 3 E RAWS                      13.30                   
CAROLINA SAND HILLS RAWS             13.29                   
CHESTERFIELD                         13.00                   
JEFFERSON 6 E                        12.33                   
LORIS 1.4 ENE                        12.18                   
LORIS 2.9 WSW                        11.95                   
PEE DEE RIVER                        11.29                   
CONWAY HADS                          10.10                   
PAWLEYS ISLAND 2.6 N                 10.08                   
CONWAY W6KRP                          9.90                   
MYRTLE BEACH 5.2 SW                   9.63                   
HORRY RAWS                            9.31                   
BUCK CREEK NEAR LONGS 1 NE            8.36                   
DARLINGTON                            8.02                   
HARTSVILLE 1.7 NW                     7.64                   
MYRTLE BEACH CWOP                     7.61                   
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH (KCRE)             6.89                   
MYRTLE BEACH AIRPORT (KMYR)           6.74                   
KINGSTREE 9.5 NW                      6.25                   
JAMESTOWN                             3.50                   
LIMERICK 1 NNW RAWS                   3.45                   
FLORENCE REGIONAL AIRPORT             3.42                   

...VIRGINIA...
BUFFALO RIDGE 4 WSW                   3.09                   
MEADOWS OF DAN 4.5 SW                 2.69                   
COPPER HILL 6.2 S                     2.44                   
DISPUTANTA 6.3 NE                     2.19                   
HORSE PASTURE 2 E                     2.09                   
WILLIS 2.7 SE                         2.08                   

...Selected preliminary Peak Wind gusts in miles per hour earlier
in the event...

...GEORGIA...
TYBEE ISLAND 1SSW                     42                   
FORT PULASKI                          41                   
AUGUSTA BUSH FIELD                    39                   
SAVANNAH AIRPORT                      37                   
STATESBORO                            36                   

...NORTH CAROLINA...
BUOY 30 SE NEW RIVER INLET           112                   
FORT MACON                           105                   
WILMINGTON INT'L ARPT (KILM)         105                   
CAPE LOOKOUT                          97                   
CEDAR ISLAND 1 N                      89                   
CHERRY POINT ASOS                     87                   
JACKSONVILLE ASOS                     86                   
FRISCO WOODS                          80                   
OCRACOKE                              80                   
HARKERS ISLAND                        77                   
DIAMOND SHOALS BUOY                   76                   
NORTH RIVER                           75                   
AVON                                  74                   
BUXTON                                73                   
SNEADS FERRY 1 SSE                    72                   
NEW RIVER MCAS                        70                   
LUMBERTON MUNI                        69                   
FAYETTEVILLE REGIONAL AIRPORT         66                   
FORT BRAGG/SIMMO                      66                   
RALEIGH-DURHAM INTL AIRPORT           47                   
CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS AIRPORT             34                   

...SOUTH CAROLINA...
CHARLESTON 4 ESE                      56                   
FT. SUMTER RANGE FRONT LIGHT          55                   
EDISTO BUOY 41004                     54                   
SHAW AFB                              54                   
CHARLESTON INTL AIRPORT               53                   
CAPERS NEARSHORE BUOY 41029           51                   
FLORENCE REGIONAL AIRPORT             50                   
MYRTLE BEACH AFB                      48                   
DEWEES ISLAND 5 ESE                   47                   
MCENTIRE ANG                          47                   
PINOPOLIS                             47                   
SUMTER MUNICIPAL AIRPORT              47                   
CAMDEN-WOODWARD FIELD                 45                   
SULLIVANS ISLAND 1 ENE                45                   
WILD DUNES 2 WSW                      45                   
FOLLY BEACH                           44                   
BATTERY POINT 1 NNW                   43                   
BEAUFORT                              43                   
ORANGEBURG MUNICIPAL AIRPORT          40                   

...VIRGINIA...
NORFOLK NAVAL AIR STATION             38                   
BURKES GARDEN                         37                   
LANGLEY AFB                           37                   
MOUNTAIN LAKE                         37                   
NORFOLK AIRPORT                       37                   
VIRGINIA BEACH OCEANA                 37                   
WALLOPS ISLAND                        35                   
DANVILLE REGL AP                      33                   
NEWPORT NEWS AIRPORT                  33                   

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc4.html

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Libs Irate Over “Goodie-Two-Shoes” Police Arresting Looters in NC
http://www.independentsentinel.com/libs-irate-over-goodie-two-shoes-police-arresting-looters-in-nc/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

From what I understand, shelters away from the worst storm damage are taking in the  lost pets temporarily.  They hope to reunite them with their owners eventually.  I suppose if they aren't claimed within a certain period of time, these pets will be put up for adoption. 

In the meantime, the shelters taking in these displaced pets are overcrowded.  So, many of their longer-term residents are being sent to other shelters.  I believe the local shelter here is taking in some of those residents so the shelters closer to the hurricane damage can in turn take in the newly displaced pets.

Online Wingnut

CNN, The Weather Channel  and MSNBC are reporting on Russian interference in the rescue operations in the wake of hurricane Florence.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:46:07 pm by The Ghost »