Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27703 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Water (flooding) kills.  Drowning caused 80% of Harvey deaths.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180419100130.htm

Right now they're showing movement at 6mph, with projections of continuing at that speed for the next 30 hours.  That's a lot of rain.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
BTW, here it is. They were a bulls-eye for the hurricane when it was at category 3.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

Thanks, @thackney !

Heard the same on my local weather this morning....that the surge kills more than the wind. :shrug:

With Harvey, it was not the storm surge.  Storm surge is very predicable.  It was the rain that caused the flooding and most of the deaths.  3/4 of the homes damaged by flooding was outside the FEMA flood zones.  Tropical storms can drop intense rainfall in uneven areas.

When the storm is moving slowly, the never ending rain causes great damage.  Tropical storm Allison never made it to hurricane status, not enough pressure drop for significant storm surge.  It killed 41 people.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
In terms of flooding we have a worst case scenario happening right now. It is stuck on the coast. It came ashore this morning at 7am then it went back out to sea. Not too far. So it is just rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Add to that, it has no speed. It is only moving 5mph which is slower than most of us walk.

Everyone was hoping it would make land and then zoom away. It is doing the opposite of that. It is currently squatting like it is taking a vacation at Myrtle Beach. This is going to be bad. Not because of the wind so much, but because of the flooding.

Lots of reports of people on their roof. Imagine that. Camping out on your roof with the kids and grandma in the dark with high winds and rain and the phones are out. Horrible situation. Already some of the people already rescued are saying that it was foolish of them to try to stick it out.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

...Lots of reports of people on their roof. Imagine that. Camping out on your roof with the kids and grandma in the dark with high winds and rain and the phones are out. Horrible situation. Already some of the people already rescued are saying that it was foolish of them to try to stick it out.

Sad to say I think it can be worse.  There are cases of people going into the attic as the flood waters rise.  And then they keep rising.  Some escape by tearing apart holes through the roof.  Rescue boats and helicopters do not know they are there. 

Offline Axeslinger

I’m about 200miles  NW of Wilmington.  I’m supposed to get 8-10” of rain.  I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like for those poor folks down at the coast
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:51:54 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Applewood

FWIW --  live coverage from CBS:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/

And they agree -- flooding is the worst threat.

At least, so far, CBS doesn't have some poor reporter outside reportimg on conditions. 

Edited to add:

I wrote too soon.  CBS has some poor slob in a ran slicker reporting now.    Sigh!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:58:12 pm by Applewood »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Fox News just had a live shot from Atlantic Beach and the pier is completely gone.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

I’m about 200miles  NW of Wilmington.  I’m supposed to get 8-10” of rain.  I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like for those poor folks down at the coast

I got around 5 inches from remnants of Gordon earlier this week.  Just a trickle of water in the garage.  But I don't live in a low lying area and/or near a river or creek.  I think if you are higher up or far enough away from a body of water, you might be ok.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Here is a really good live cam if you want to see what a an ocean storm looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZM4E3x7UGM&feature=youtu.be
Best when you watch it full screen.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
One of the couples with us at Ocracoke left on Monday for New Bern. They planned to ride out the storm in their sailboat there. Last I heard, they got a motel room somewhere.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I don't care who you are that is just funny

888high58888  wink777
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
FWIW --  live coverage from CBS:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/

And they agree -- flooding is the worst threat.

At least, so far, CBS doesn't have some poor reporter outside reportimg on conditions. 

Edited to add:

I wrote too soon.  CBS has some poor slob in a ran slicker reporting now.    Sigh!

@Applewood

Of course they do!  After all it was their guy (Captain Dan the "news" man) who started this insanity during Hurricane Carla.

! No longer available

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

One of the couples with us at Ocracoke left on Monday for New Bern. They planned to ride out the storm in their sailboat there. Last I heard, they got a motel room somewhere.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-14-new-bern-north-carolina-rescues-neuse-river

At least 150 people were awaiting rescue in New Bern early Friday morning as Hurricane Florence lashed the North Carolina coast with strong winds and life-threatening storm surge.

As of 5 a.m. Friday, 200 people had already been rescued as waters rose on the Neuse and Trent rivers, according to Colleen Roberts, a city public information officer.

New Bern, a city of about 30,000 residents, saw significant storm surge flooding as the rivers overflowed their banks and swept into town. A flash flood emergency was declared in the area that includes Carteret, Craven, Pamlico and Jones counties Friday morning...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
After all the weather whore's efforts to pump up this hurricane, it was more like Stormy Daniels. In any other presidency it would have been a Category 5 hurricane. It felt more like a drizzle.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

After all the weather whore's efforts to pump up this hurricane, it was more like Stormy Daniels. In any other presidency it would have been a Category 5 hurricane. It felt more like a drizzle.

Doesn't look like a drizzle to me.

Offline GrouchoTex

Isn't there a YouTube video out there of a meteorologist doing the 'Hip-boot routine' when suddenly a huge panel from a curb sign comes out of nowhere and the guy disappears?

Geraldo Rivera got knocked on his butt when Ike was coming in.
He was standing on the Galveston seawall and a big wave knocked him over.

Offline Applewood

4 Florence-related deaths reported in N.C.; mother, infant killed

The first deaths attributed to Hurricane Florence were reported Friday in North Carolina as the storm continued to wreak havoc after making landfall earlier in the day.

A mother and her infant were killed in Wilmington, N.C., when a tree fell on their house, the Wilmington Police Department confirmed in a tweet. The father, who was trapped, was freed from the rubble by emergency workers and taken to a local hospital with injuries.

https://www.ajc.com/weather/hurricane-florence-nears-landfall-category-storm/G8ueChZZYTVs4xxDRK1JgN/

8888crybaby

Offline LadyLiberty

Reporter from the Weather Channel braces against the wind as two guys casually stroll behind him: 

https://twitter.com/gourdnibler/status/1040678572262916096

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Reporter from the Weather Channel braces against the wind as two guys casually stroll behind him: 

ROFLMAO!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Busted! 

Almost as good as these two poseurs

! No longer available

! No longer available
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Florence Will Drop an Inconceivable Amount of Water
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/09/hurricane-florence-the-deluge-begins/570370/
In the next few days, the hurricane will likely dump 18 trillion gallons of rain, as much water as fills the Chesapeake Bay.

I linked that mainly for the headline.  In my part of the country, we not only can comprehend that much water in rain of a single storm, we remember having about twice that.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Harvey-dumped-record-setting-34-trillion-gallons-12204769.php

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Weather Channel defends reporter seen in viral Hurricane Florence video
The Hill, Sep 14, 2018

The Weather Channel voiced support for one of its reporters on Friday after a video of him reporting during Hurricane Florence went viral online.  The video clip posted to Twitter appeared to mock the reporter's hurricane coverage, suggesting he was exaggerating the storm's force.

The video shows longtime Weather Channel meteorologist and reporter Mike Seidel as he tried to gain his footing as the storm's winds bore down on him.  "This is about as nasty as its been," Seidel, who was reporting from Wilmington, N.C., says in the clip while bracing against the wind.

The camera then pans over to a pair of figures casually walking on a road behind the reporter.

More:  http://thehill.com/homenews/media/406808-weather-channel-defends-reporter-seen-in-viral-hurricane-florence-video

88devil

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Weather Channel's given this fool from a few years ago a run for her money.   :laugh:

The full segment was a hoot...

! No longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgm3_jzcNm4