Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27422 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Florence isn't even a Category 2 hurricane hitting the mainland.

Thank God.  Water recedes.  Wind causes the loss of life.

And thank you for another opportunity to point out the frantic media.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

Still can't believe the utter stupidity of people who think they have to stand out in the wind and rain in order to tell you that the wind is blowing and the rain is falling.  **nononono*

TV stations and networks won't stop this idiocy until one of their reporters perishes.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
TV stations and networks won't stop this idiocy until one of their reporters perishes.

There was a case where a reporter and his photographer died in storm Alberto. But it was not very dramatic. They were driving on a highway and a tree fell on them.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Watching the evening news.  The torn flag was just shown. 

I'm reminded of the Star Spangled Banner.  "Our flag was still there."  Might be battered, but it perseveres.

You know they have that at the Smithsonian?  I didn't, until I was looking at it and realized what I was looking at.  Cool moment.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online DCPatriot

Isn't there a YouTube video out there of a meteorologist doing the 'Hip-boot routine' when suddenly a huge panel from a curb sign comes out of nowhere and the guy disappears?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Isn't there a YouTube video out there of a meteorologist doing the 'Hip-boot routine' when suddenly a huge panel from a curb sign comes out of nowhere and the guy disappears?

Don't know about that but there sure is one of Gerry Rivers getting his azz busted in Galveston some years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FziScjyf4Ic
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:29:43 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

From what I hear that is a photoshop fake video.

BTW, it is a Cat 1 now with wind at 90mph. Once it gets to 75 it becomes a tropical storm. It looks like the brunt is more or less over. Now it is just a matter of how fast it will move overland. Worst case scenario is that it stalls and just beats the crap out of somewhere for a week.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DCPatriot

From what I hear that is a photoshop fake video.

BTW, it is a Cat 1 now with wind at 90mph. Once it gets to 75 it becomes a tropical storm. It looks like the brunt is more or less over. Now it is just a matter of how fast it will move overland. Worst case scenario is that it stalls and just beats the crap out of somewhere for a week.

Now we'll have to endure end-to-end cries of possible "biblical flooding".

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Now we'll have to endure end-to-end cries of possible "biblical flooding".

Come on DC, this is the biggest storm in the history of mankind.

Online DCPatriot

Come on DC, this is the biggest storm in the history of mankind.

Indeed.

Alec Baldwin should get ready to come out on SNL in character... say that he was responsible for knocking it down from a Cat 4.
Then drop the mike.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Indeed.

Alec Baldwin should get ready to come out on SNL in character... say that he was responsible for knocking it down from a Cat 4.
Then drop the mike.
That would be funnier than anything SNL could come up with.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm on another web site looking at the hurricane and it has the ability to measure wind-speeds wherever you click. I clicked all over the hurricane and couldn't get a wind-speed over 80mph. Most the speeds were in the mid seventies.

I'm no meteorologist by far, and I don't know the reliability of this other website. But it is weird that there are conflicting reports about the wind-speed of the storm.

Check it out if you want to. Click anywhere on the storm. Click the km/h until it shows mph.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-67.37,32.31,3000

Online DCPatriot

Interested in what our fellow members feel about "Mandatory Evacuations".

Do you agree with the concept? 

Or, do you think each family/household should be able to decide for themselves if they want to stay and "ride this one out"?

Where does the government's responsibility end?  Their duty is to protect the citizenry.   

But...aren't the warnings 24/7 sufficient?

As a homeowner, why should I be forced leave my home vulnerable to looters?

Or, is that one of the reasons for the mandatory evacuation?  Because they don't trust those remaining behind might turn to looting?

Look for legislation soon that in the even of mandated evacuations, you must sign a waiver if you remain, that your life is at risk.

I would expect the insurance lobby to make sure a clause is inserted that makes payment upon death null and void if they had the opportunity to evacuate.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm on another web site looking at the hurricane and it has the ability to measure wind-speeds wherever you click. I clicked all over the hurricane and couldn't get a wind-speed over 80mph. Most the speeds were in the mid seventies.

I'm no meteorologist by far, and I don't know the reliability of this other website. But it is weird that there are conflicting reports about the wind-speed of the storm.

Check it out if you want to. Click anywhere on the storm. Click the km/h until it shows mph.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-67.37,32.31,3000

I think I figured it out. Depending on the height of the measurement and where the measurement is taken on the 360 degree circle of the storm, you can get widely varying results. So, when they say sustained winds at 90mph, without knowing the height and the sector they are measuring, I can't really replicate the result on the website model.

Offline Suppressed

Interested in what our fellow members feel about "Mandatory Evacuations".

Do you agree with the concept? 

Or, do you think each family/household should be able to decide for themselves if they want to stay and "ride this one out"?

Where does the government's responsibility end?  Their duty is to protect the citizenry.   

Because our society doesn't have the stomach to just wash our hands and say we're not our brother's keeper. Inevitably, people who don't leave will later call for help and risk others if things get too bad.

It's like how we are idiots for not letting people die in the streets if they don't buy health insurance.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

I was glad for the Wilmington, NC, coverage with someone standing outside in a familiar setting so I knew conditions on the ground for my friend now that her power and phone are evidently out.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The President sends his prayers

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1040407422156857344

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

John Kerry had illegal meetings with the very hostile Iranian Regime, which can only serve to undercut our great work to the detriment of the American people. He told them to wait out the Trump Administration! Was he registered under the Foreign Agents Registration Act? BAD!
6:10 PM - 13 Sep 2018

Offline Applewood

Because our society doesn't have the stomach to just wash our hands and say we're not our brother's keeper. Inevitably, people who don't leave will later call for help and risk others if things get too bad.

It's like how we are idiots for not letting people die in the streets if they don't buy health insurance.

My brain is fuzzy on the details, but during last year's storms, I remember some official saying something like, get out now, but if you choose to stay, don't call for help because we are not going to risk our lives to come and get you. 

I don't recall whether anyone did stay, later called for help, but was refused.   Seems to me if that did happen and people died as a result , there would be all kinds of lawsuits.

But it is that kind of tough stance, I wish we would see more of.  It should not be up to government to save people if they don't evacuate and later get into trouble.  The problem is we have too many people depending on government to save them from their own folly.

Offline thackney

Florence isn't even a Category 2 hurricane hitting the mainland.

Thank God.  Water recedes.  Wind causes the loss of life.

And thank you for another opportunity to point out the frantic media.

Water (flooding) kills.  Drowning caused 80% of Harvey deaths.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180419100130.htm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:01:27 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
CONFUSED!
I just opened flag cam and there was nothing. No waves. No wind. No rain. Just a beautiful calm autumn day. Makes me want to go sailing.
https://explore.org/livecams/frying-pan/frying-pan-cam
This cannot be live. I just saw the flag and it is completely intact. So, what I'm looking at is old footage. Why they would put outdated footage on a live cam, I don't know?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:24:23 am by 240B »

Offline Applewood

@240B

Look at the site now.  There is a note saying the live cam went offline and they are working to troubleshoot the problem. 

I would say the problem is the hurricane itself. 

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B

Look at the site now.  There is a note saying the live cam went offline and they are working to troubleshoot the problem. 

I would say the problem is the hurricane itself.
@Applewood

Yep. I saw it. That's a shame.

Offline verga

Don't know about that but there sure is one of Gerry Rivers getting his azz busted in Galveston some years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FziScjyf4Ic
I don't care who you are that is just funny
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

Water (flooding) kills.  Drowning caused 80% of Harvey deaths.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180419100130.htm

Thanks, @thackney !

Heard the same on my local weather this morning....that the surge kills more than the wind. :shrug: