Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27576 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This storm is already weaker than Bertha.

In fairness, I read that Hurricane Hugo... a gigantic hurricane, blew itself out as it reached the mainland, but stuck around for days, doing tremendous damage because of the rain/wind.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline thackney

In fairness, I read that Hurricane Hugo... a gigantic hurricane, blew itself out as it reached the mainland, but stuck around for days, doing tremendous damage because of the rain/wind.

If it doesn't move out quickly, the rainfall can be devastating.  Outside of the landfall area, Harvey was not to bad for wind.
 Allison never made hurricane status but the slow moving, returning track destroyed much by flooding.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Tropical storm Claudette in 1979 seemed it would never leave. There was a blocking ridge just north of us. Claudette would bounce off of it and come right back over us. I think it hit us 3 times before it finally left.

Claudette produced torrential rains in both Texas and Louisiana when it made landfall. The highest one-day total was reported near Alvin, Texas where 42 inches (1,100 mm) of rain fell. This remains the twenty-four-hour rainfall record for any location in the United States. Two other towns also reported rainfall totals exceeding 30 inches.[6] There was only one death from drowning and Louisiana received only minor damage from up to 15 inches (381 mm) of rainfall.[7] Texas was hard hit by Claudette, with flooding reported in southeast Texas from up to 45 inches (1143 mm) of rainfall. Many residents had to be rescued from low-lying areas that were flooded.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Claudette_(1979)

Online mountaineer

Regardless of wind speed, they're saying the real threat is that this hurricane could plop itself over the NC coast for a period of time - rather than continuing to move inland - and dump as much as 24" of water. I know how horrendous the flooding was in my area when we got the remnants of the 2004 hurricane (Ivan?) and 7-9" of rain.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

...The highest one-day total was reported near Alvin, Texas where 42 inches (1,100 mm) of rain fell. This remains the twenty-four-hour rainfall record for any location in the United States....

Needs updating post Harvey.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
*Storm of a lifetime*..... *****rollingeyes*****
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GrouchoTex

I think Baytown may have exceeded that total during Harvey.

For all the TBR folks in the path, please be safe!!!!!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
*Storm of a lifetime*..... *****rollingeyes*****

I know.  It drives me crazy how they hype these storms.  The weather whores are now moving on to the next storm the hope will come up the gulf and be bigger than Katrina and Camille.  Millions will die.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Harvey didn't break the One Day Record.

https://mashable.com/2018/04/26/kauai-24-hour-rainfall-record/#8YPzEMaWRZqZ

A devastating flash flood event in mid-April caused widespread damage on the lush Hawaiian island of Kauai. Now comes word that during the 24-hour period between April 14 and 15, a staggering 49.69 inches of rain fell at a rain gauge about 1 mile west of Hanalei.

If this amount is verified by the National Climatic Extremes Committee, which is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and serves as a sort of Guinness Book of World Records for weather and climate, it would be the heaviest 24-hour rainfall total ever recorded in the U.S.

The current record is 43 inches, set on July 25-26, 1979, in Alvin, Texas. It would also crush the state record of 38 inches, which was also set in Kauai, back in 1956.

The committee members will review the rain gage to determine if it was functioning properly at the time of the rainstorm. This particular gage is operated by a nonprofit organization called the WAIPA Foundation. It's possible that the committee will conclude that the amount of rain was actually less than recorded, or conversely, that it underestimated the rainfall total.

It's not surprising that a national rainfall record would come from Kauai, since it's rugged terrain contains some of the wettest landscapes on Earth. Mt. Waialeale, for example, receives about 460 inches of rain per year, and is the wettest place in the country.

Offline thackney

I think Baytown may have exceeded that total during Harvey.

The highest storm total rainfall report from Harvey was 60.58 inches near Nederland, Texas (Fig.
7), with another report of 60.54 inches from near Groves, Texas. Both of these values (and from
five other stations) exceed the previously accepted United States tropical cyclone storm total
rainfall record of 52.00 inches at Kanalohuluhulu Ranger Station, Hawaii, in August of 1950 from
Hurricane Hiki.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL092017_Harvey.pdf

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

No kidding.  52" storm total at my location per NWS.  New US storm record of 64'' in Nederland is about 30 miles from where I live.

Wish I knew exactly how much fell, but of  course, I sure wasn't going to empty my rain gauge 5 times in the most amazing wall of water from the sky I have seen i my lifetime. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:24:08 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

Harvey didn't break the One Day Record.

Look at post #134, my post immediately following yours.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The highest storm total rainfall report from Harvey was 60.58 inches near Nederland, Texas (Fig.
7), with another report of 60.54 inches from near Groves, Texas. Both of these values (and from
five other stations) exceed the previously accepted United States tropical cyclone storm total
rainfall record of 52.00 inches at Kanalohuluhulu Ranger Station, Hawaii, in August of 1950 from
Hurricane Hiki.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL092017_Harvey.pdf

My comment based on this map.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I live approx. 100 miles inland and received 56" of rain during Harvey.  Not in one day but for the entire event.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It can't be a blue wave without free shit!

They forgot:
Free beer for those who attend!

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
one more

Support the USO

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Weather Channel alert just came across my phone saying thousands are now without power in the Outer Banks.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Look at post #134, my post immediately following yours.

@thackney

"One Day" -24 hour totals are recorded separately. The current record is 43 inches, set on July 25-26, 1979, in Alvin, Texas, until the April total in Kauai is confirmed.

Online mountaineer

Weather Channel alert just came across my phone saying thousands are now without power in the Outer Banks.
I just looked at radar. It looks like it's headed for  Wilmington or just a bit south, but rain/wind have begun to hit the area between that city and the Outer Banks.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?region=clt

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:19:53 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

Being a regular visitor to the Outer Banks, when someone sneezes the power goes down. This is not an alertable item of news.

Offline thackney

@thackney

"One Day" -24 hour totals are recorded separately. The current record is 43 inches, set on July 25-26, 1979, in Alvin, Texas, until the April total in Kauai is confirmed.

Thanks for clarifying what I overlooked the first time.

Cheers!

Offline mrclose

The link is not showing anything.

No problem here.
Try a different browser?
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self