Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27617 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
That will be a way-cool camera if the eye passes over that!

Always the optimist! 

By the time the eye gets there the platform could be gone.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

Me too! But if it isn't as bad as they are saying after all the relentless hyperbolic hype, no one will ever believe the weather forecasts again. I'm not at all saying that they are wrong this time. I'm only pointing out that they have done this before, for nothing more than ratings. I'll bet the Weather Channel is killing CNN this week.

I'd rather forecasters error on the side of caution than not.  I live in SWFL and when Hurricane Charley hit, there was only 1 meteorologist that called where it was going to hit correctly. Lots of people were caught off guard as those in the area were told, that it was going to hit way north and it took a different path at the last minute. When a hurricane has the potential to make landfall near you, you should ALWAYS prepare.

Regardless if NC, or SC takes a direct hit or not, storm surge is always a concern.  Most of us who live in hurricane prone areas realize that when you are dealing with the possibility of a Cat 3 or greater, it's time to evacuate. Our last evacuation was for Irma.  Irma hit the area where we live as a Cat 2 and we were extremely fortunate and only lost a bush.  That was it, no flooding, power was only out for 2 days and luckily we had stocked up on gas or we wouldn't have made it back home.  But, on our way back to our home we had to cross areas where Irma made a more direct hit; we knew we made the right decision.  A few miles in either direction or more storm surge can make a huge difference.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Always the optimist! 

By the time the eye gets there the platform could be gone.

Could be. I think it's already withstood a few Hurricanes already.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Could be. I think it's already withstood a few Hurricanes already.   :shrug:

Prolly if it has been there since 60.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Prolly if it has been there since 60.

Yeah, but that makes it almost as old as me.  Might be as feeble as me too....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

Yeah, but that makes it almost as old as me.  Might be as feeble as me too....

That is just the muscle pain talking.  I told you to hire a couple of movers...... wink777

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That is just the muscle pain talking.  I told you to hire a couple of movers...... wink777

:pondering: Good point.  I'll be danged if I let them touch my art, my bar, good china or my guns.  I do have some good muscle pain right now, having climbed the stairs at the Castle a bunch of times last weekend.  I am sure my surgeon would approve.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I’m really worried about @CatherineofAragon

Any word from her?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
:pondering: Good point.  I'll be danged if I let them touch my art, my bar, good china or my guns.  I do have some good muscle pain right now, having climbed the stairs at the Castle a bunch of times last weekend.  I am sure my surgeon would approve.

You can have an elevator installed. It won't be cheap but it will increase the value of the home. From what I saw of what you posted, your first concern should be a massive security system with movement activated lighting and cameras everywhere. Anytime anyone steps within a hundred yards of your house, all hell should break loose. And you really should consider a few dogs to back up your cat army. Intruders HATE dogs, especially big ones.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You can have an elevator installed. It won't be cheap but it will increase the value of the home. From what I saw of what you posted, your first concern should be a massive security system with movement activated lighting and cameras everywhere. Anytime anyone steps within a hundred yards of your house, all hell should break loose. And you really should consider a few dogs to back up your cat army. Intruders HATE dogs, especially big ones.

The house is a Castle.  I posted a pic in The Lounge a few pages back.  I have just about all that in mind, except for the dogs.  No grass to run on.  The elevator idea has promise.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

I’m really worried about @CatherineofAragon

Any word from her?

My unnamed sources tell me she is dating Roy Moore these days. Takes up a lot of her time.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The house is a Castle.  I posted a pic in The Lounge a few pages back.  I have just about all that in mind, except for the dogs.  No grass to run on.  The elevator idea has promise.

In that case, you need one of these

One day, I did a tour of that very castle (where they filmed the Holy Grail, not your new place, that would be a LONG drive) and a Scotch distillery.  That was a cool day.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

Watching the news.  Florence is now a Category 2, but it's huge -- 500 miles across.  Seems none of the weather guessers really knows where Florence will hit or what path it will take.  One forecaster said Florence will hit the Carolinas, veer south into Georgia, then head north-northeast.  Seems to be a guessing game now. 

As if people don't have enough to worry about, now concerns are being raised about nuclear reactors potentially in Florence's path:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/12/hurricane-florence-north-carolina-nuclear-plants-prepare

Offline thackney

....As if people don't have enough to worry about, now concerns are being raised about nuclear reactors potentially in Florence's path:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/12/hurricane-florence-north-carolina-nuclear-plants-prepare

That is just fear-mongering for web hits.  It is not going to be another Fukushima.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,331921.msg1791850.html#msg1791850
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The link is not showing anything.

It is likely overloaded. Too many people trying to use it at the same time.

Offline Frank Cannon

They just upgraded this storm on the Saffir Simpson scale to a category 7......it will be raining angry Pitt Bulls and the winds will smell like a dumpster behind a Chinese restaurant. Let's hope it doesn't go to 8.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
They waited in bated breath for it to reach Cat 5...now it's 24 hours away and is downgraded to Cat 2.

:whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

They waited in bated breath for it to reach Cat 5...now it's 24 hours away and is downgraded to Cat 2.

My prayers were answered!  :0001:

Oops:
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) — Time is running short to flee Hurricane Florence, a monster of a storm zeroing in on the Southeastern coast with more than 10 million people in its potentially devastating sights.

Florence’s top sustained wind speeds dropped from a high of 140 mph (225 kph) to 110 mph (175 kph) as its outer rain bands approached the North Carolina coast early Thursday, reducing the storm from Category 4 to Category 2, but forecasters warned that the enormous wind field has been growing larger, raising the risk of the ocean surging on to land.  ...
AP via MSN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

So far it is losing speed. Down to 12mph and the wind speeds are declining. It is possible that it is a class 1 by now. We don't really know. The government could never admit that because it would make them look foolish in the extreme.

BTW, the news said 35% of people in the evacuation area chose to stay. So, at least a third of the people involved are not buying it.

Offline Frank Cannon

Hey....someone else noticed that too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
BTW, the news said 35% of people in the evacuation area chose to stay. So, at least a third of the people involved are not buying it.

Or they don't want to have their houses looted while the government keeps them away with roadblocks.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

Or they don't want to have their houses looted while the government keeps them away with roadblocks.

This storm is already weaker than Bertha.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

They interviewed a guy who said something similar to that. He said [paraphrasing] If I leave it will take me weeks to get back in. He also said that the storm is so large, just the sheer distance that you have to drive to evade it is impractical. 15 or 20 miles isn't going to do it. Another guy said he didn't know which way to run. They say it is going South one day and North the next.

It's a tough call. I just pray none of the people who stayed get hurt. This thing seems to be unusually unpredictable. They are taking a risk, there's no doubt about that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:07:04 pm by 240B »