Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27170 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'm too far inland (western PA) to get the brunt of Florence, but our local weather soothsayers are already saying heavy rain from Florence could reach here.  This will be on top of the heavy rain that fell here almost nonstop from Saturday till this afternoon from Gordon.  Some places around me had 8 to 9 inches.  I think my neighborhood might have had around five.  Luckily, I'm not in a flood plain, but  I did get a few trickles of water in the garage.    Next home project will be to get a waterproofer for the basement and garage. 

Prayers up for everyone in the path of Florence.  Stay safe.

I'm so old...can't recall the name of the storm....Agnes?

The Susquahana River in Pennsylvanvia...the muddy water height marks on the buildings which I saw on the drive to Buffalo, NY was unbelievable (when you see the width of that river near Harrisbug)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 09:50:00 pm »
Beer?  What about the beer?

He buys really crappy beer. Unfortunately, the purpose for it is to make some weird concoction for feeding the lawn. I always tell him it’s a waste of beer, even if it is lousy.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

The Susquahana River in Pennsylvanvia...the muddy water height marks on the buildings which I saw on the drive to Buffalo, NY was unbelievable (when you see the width of that river near Harrisbug)

I don't remember about Agnes, but the worst flooding we had before this weekend was from Hurricane Ivan in 2004.     That one was a doozy.  At the time, I was working in an office building across the street from a river walking/biking trail.  The trail was completely submerged and the street in front of the office building was flooded.  The office building sustained some water damage in the basement -- some records stored there had to be dried out. 

Even better, the ducks inhabiting the river were swimming in the flooded trail and street.  Wish I still had a photo of the ducks which appeared in the local paper. It was a funny sight.

Offline corbe

Hurricane Florence could be a lot like Harvey. Here’s why.

Greg Porter

2 hrs ago

© Greg Porter/Washington, D.C. Plot compares GFS forecast to the 1981-2010 CFSR climatology for a 21-day period centered on the valid day. By Thursday, the forecast calls for a high pressure system that is would be the strongest for this time of year over the last 30 years. (Tomer Burg)

In late August 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas on San Jose Island. Over the following five days, Harvey's forward movement slowed to a glacial pace, essentially stopping over the greater Houston area, weakening in terms of wind speed but retaining an immense amount of moisture that eventually fell as rain in catastrophic amounts.

A year later, residents in the southeast and Mid-Atlantic may face the exact same scenario with Hurricane Florence, and the reason will be eerily similar.

A ridge of high pressure, extreme especially for this time of year, will develop just off the coast of New England, shunting the path of Florence toward the southeast coast. The strength of this ridge will be unprecedented in 30 years, according to forecast models.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/hurricane-florence-could-be-a-lot-like-harvey-here%e2%80%99s-why/ar-BBN9xHD?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

During Agnes, all of the flood gates were open on the Conowingo Dam in MD, but water was still pouring over the road across the dam, US RT 1.

The Army Corps of Engineers was assessing the dam. There was so much pressure on it, they were considering charges on a portion to relieve the pressure.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

During Agnes, all of the flood gates were open on the Conowingo Dam in MD, but water was still pouring over the road across the dam, US RT 1.

The Army Corps of Engineers was assessing the dam. There was so much pressure on it, they were considering charges on a portion to relieve the pressure.

Incredible.

In my earlier post about the water lines 1 year after Agnes....The water line was seven autos high, but the other side of the river was at least 1/3 mile away.   THAT is a helluva lot of water. 

There's a part where the river is one side and the road you're driving for miles....you get turns getting permission to pass because of all the trucking, etc.. And then suddenly the city appears on the other side of the river...but it still looks like miles away. 

IOW...only when your'e actually there can you truly appreciate the calamity of that storm.

! No longer available

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 01:57:52 am »
Yeah, I realized that I was looking at older ones (last night's all had a right hook).  But I'm supposed to connect through Charlotte, so I'm in trouble either way.   :shrug:

Hey, you're flying AA.  The storm will probably be long gone by the time you finally get there.

Actually, I don't think I've flown AA since 17 years ago tomorrow morning, but back then I used to say that AA had it's own time zone -- 90 minutes later than whatever zone your flight would be arriving in.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hurricane Florence - live updates: State of emergency in Maryland and mandatory evacuation in South Carolina as trackers predict storm will reach category 5

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hurricane-florence-latest-live-updates-track-path-olivia-weather-radar-today-category-a8531476.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 05:25:39 am »
Yeah, I realized that I was looking at older ones (last night's all had a right hook).  But I'm supposed to connect through Charlotte, so I'm in trouble either way.   :shrug:

@Suppressed

Later on in this thread, @240B has a post that includes a link

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hurricane-florence-latest-live-updates-track-path-olivia-weather-radar-today-category-a8531476.html

that might interest you...

American Airlines has announced the change flight fee waiver for 23 southeastern US cities, including Charleston, South Carolina; Charlotte, North Carolina; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Norfolk, Virginia; Raleigh/Dhurham, North Carolina; Richmond; Virginia and Savannah, Georgia. More details on that waiver can be found here.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 07:16:47 am »
@Suppressed

Later on in this thread, @240B has a post that includes a link

that might interest you...

American Airlines has announced the change flight fee waiver for 23 southeastern US cities, including Charleston, South Carolina; Charlotte, North Carolina; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Norfolk, Virginia; Raleigh/Dhurham, North Carolina; Richmond; Virginia and Savannah, Georgia. More details on that waiver can be found here.

Thanks! @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DB

I have two daughters in a low-lying part of Chapel Hill NC. Trying to get them to higher ground further west.

I have two daughters in a low-lying part of Chapel Hill NC. Trying to get them to higher ground further west.

About a year ago I ran away from a hurricane that was headed for my house.  Since I live in FL, my initial plan was just to get far enough north that I could go either north or west (or not), depending on how things turned out, w/o getting stuck in traffic getting out of FL.  I learned something.  Traffic really sucked all the way up to I-26 in SC, at which point it was clear sailing.  Night and day difference.   Next time I bug out, if I go north, I'm going to make a point to get that far ASAP.

Your daughters might want to have a similar plan.

Prayers up to all.

Offline mountaineer

I was Charleston, SC, for a mini-vacation when - on the second day of the vacation - they issued the evacuation order for Hurricane Hugo (1989). We had to drive from Charleston to Charlotte in bumper-to-bumper traffic in order to catch a flight home. Thinking you have to outrun a hurricane can be a little frightening.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:46:53 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Hurricane Florence - live updates: State of emergency in Maryland and mandatory evacuation in South Carolina as trackers predict storm will reach category 5

HURRICANE INTENSITY SCALE (WIND DAMAGE ONLY)

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/animations/images/hurricane_winddamage.swf

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
FEMA official: Hurricane Florence will cause 'massive damage,' including potential loss of life
By Michael Burke - 09/11/18 12:07 PM EDT

Hurricane Florence will cause “massive damage” when it makes landfall this week and fatalities are possible, a FEMA official said Tuesday.

Jeffrey Byard, FEMA’s associate administrator for response and recovery, stressed during a news conference Tuesday that citizens living on the coast in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia should take action to heed local and state warnings.

“I want to impress the importance of our citizens to take action now,” he said. “This is a dangerous storm. This storm will and has the potential to cause loss of life.”

Byard said Florence is the strongest storm to target the Carolinas and “this part of our country” in decades. He added that there is currently nothing projected to weaken the storm and the region will experience power outages, infrastructure damage and damage to homes.

“This will be a storm that creates and causes massive damage to our country,” he said, adding that significant inland flooding is expected in states including Maryland and Pennsylvania.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/406065-fema-official-hurricane-florence-will-cause-massive-damage
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

DP&L, Duke Energy ready Ohio crews to respond to Florence
https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/business/duke-energy-ready-ohio-crews-respond-florence/YE6XQkfzwmyzpW4cYmItgM/

Oklahoma OG&E crews head to North Carolina to assist with Hurricane Florence recovery
https://kfor.com/2018/09/11/oklahoma-oge-crews-head-to-north-carolina-to-assist-with-hurricane-florence-recovery/

Appalachian Power Preparing For Hurricane Florence
https://woay.tv/appalachian-power-preparing-for-hurricane-florence/

Central Florida sending help to Carolinas ahead of Florence
https://www.wesh.com/article/central-florida-crews-prepare-to-send-help-to-carolinas-ahead-of-florence/23075076

Virginia National Guard to assist with Hurricane Florence response
https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-national-guard-to-assist-with-hurricane-florence-response/1432748852

Phoenix volunteers head to help hurricane victims
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/39064013/phoenix-volunteers-head-to-help-hurricane-victims

Salvation Army in Florida mobilizing relief efforts ahead of Hurricane Florence
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/salvation-army-in-florida-mobilizing-relief-efforts-ahead-of-hurricane-florence

Local Red Cross volunteers deployed ahead of Hurricane Florence
https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news/local-red-cross-volunteers-deployed-ahead-of-hurricane-florence/1432282183

California firefighters head east for Hurricane Florence
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/California-firefighters-head-east-for-Hurricane-13220391.php

FEMA Stages Relief Supplies at Fort Bragg; NCNG Troops Brace for Hurricane Florence
http://www.govtech.com/em/preparedness/FEMA-Stages-Relief-Supplies-at-Fort-Bragg-NCNG-Troops-Brace-for-Hurricane-Florence.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:27:30 pm by thackney »

Offline mrclose

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline LadyLiberty

NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center
1 hr ·
...FLORENCE GETTING BETTER ORGANIZED AND INCREASING IN SIZE...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE POSSIBLE ALONG THE COASTS OF NORTH AND SOUTH CAROLINA...INLAND FLOODING TO FOLLOW...

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect from Edisto Beach, South Carolina, to the North Carolina-Virginia state line, and for Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, including the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers. A Hurricane Watch is in effect from Edisto Beach, South Carolina, to the North Carolina-Virginia state line, including Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds. Interests elsewhere in the southeastern and mid-Atlantic states
should monitor the progress of Florence. Additional watches may be required later today.

Hurricane Florence is centered at 2 p.m. EDT about 845 miles (1360 km) east-southeast of Cape Fear, N. Carolina. Florence is moving toward the west-northwest near 17 mph (28 km/h). A west- northwestward to northwestward motion with a slight increase in forward speed are expected during the next couple of days. On the forecast track, the center of Florence will move over the southwestern Atlantic Ocean between Bermuda and the Bahamas through Wednesday, and approach the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina in the hurricane watch area Thursday and Friday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 130 mph (215 km/h) with higher gusts. Florence is a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Florence is expected to begin re- strengthening later today and continue a slow strengthening trend for the next day or so. While some weakening is expected on Thursday, Florence is expected to be an extremely dangerous major hurricane through landfall. Hurricane-force winds have expanded outward and now extend up to 60 miles (95 km) from the center. Tropical-storm-force winds have also expanded and now extend outward up to 170 miles (280 km) from the
center.

The next advisory will be issued by NHC at 5 p.m. AST - www.hurricanes.gov

Offline cato potatoe

The European model just threw a knuckleball:  The storm nears Cape Fear, stalls, then meanders SW to Charleston and eventually to Atlanta.  Forecasters are pretty confident it will approach the NC coastline Thursday evening, but all bets are off beyond that point. 

Offline Frank Cannon

So bottom line: We are all going to die and civilization is lost.

Offline thackney

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:24:30 pm by thackney »

Offline Applewood

I was laughing at the noon news weather lady.  She put up the 10-day forecast and beneath Saturday and Sunday was the word "Depends."

No not the incontinence undergarments.  "Depends" as in  "Depends on Florence." 

Offline mountaineer

So bottom line: We are all going to die and civilization is lost.
You're correct on both counts, and Florence isn't to blame!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ConstitutionRose

-- bookmark --
Hubby and I are supposed to be going to Asheville on Thursday. Too far inland to worry about storm surge and such, but I'm not convinced of the wisdom of heading into the dregs of the storm.

Might want to check with the airlines.  We are in Greensboro.  Hubby and brothers were scheduled to fly early Thursday to Buffalo for a family thing.  Airlines called and suggested they reschedule for Wednesday no fee.  Now hubby is getting antsy about leaving me alone with 3 cats and a large dog.

My granddaughter attends a boarding school in Asheville and she is forever getting delayed by weather there as she comes and goes for home leaves.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.