Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast  (Read 27669 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast
By Emily Birnbaum - 09/10/18 01:04 PM EDT

The hurricane barreling toward the East Coast has strengthened to a Category 4 with 130 mph winds, according to reports.

Hurricane Florence is expected to make landfall somewhere between South Carolina and North Carolina, and areas across the coast will likely be affected by flooding and winds, according to The Washington Post.

The storm's approach has led to a flurry of emergency declarations and requests from states in Florence's path.

Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.) on Monday afternoon asked President Trump to expedite a disaster declaration ahead of the hurricane, saying a declaration would "allow much-needed federal resources to be mobilized." Jones's district includes the Outer Banks, an area that is in direct line of the hurricane.

President Trump has canceled a Friday rally in Mississippi due to the approaching hurricane.

South Carolina has also asked for a disaster declaration.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/405888-hurricane-florence-strengthens-to-category-4-storm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:57:02 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Re: Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4, barrels toward East Coast
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:24:47 pm »
Moving along at a pretty good traveling speed.  Hopefully that will diminish flooding problems.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 05:32:48 pm »
I'm hoping it doesn't take the right turn on landfall, like the spaghetti models are suggesting. 

Meteorologists: Florence could be 'disaster' for Pennsylvania
York Dispatch Published 4:58 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018 | Updated 10:46 a.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018
https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2018/09/09/meteorologists-florence-could-disaster-pennsylvania/1249926002/

I'm supposed to be flying into Baltimore late Friday.  HA!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:41:18 pm »
I heard they expected it to slow down as it nears the coast.  I hope that prediction is wrong.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 05:47:19 pm »
Those darn hurricanes have a knack for messing up peoples' plans! May everyone stay safe.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:51:49 pm »
I'm hoping it doesn't take the right turn on landfall, like the spaghetti models are suggesting. 

York Dispatch Published 4:58 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018 | Updated 10:46 a.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018
https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2018/09/09/meteorologists-florence-could-disaster-pennsylvania/1249926002/

Which models are you looking at?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
My dad lives on the Albemarle Sound and he won’t evacuate.   *****rollingeyes*****

I thought he would’ve learned his lesson from Isabella in 2003.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
turning this into the live thread
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 06:00:31 pm »
Which models are you looking at?

Yeah, I realized that I was looking at older ones (last night's all had a right hook).  But I'm supposed to connect through Charlotte, so I'm in trouble either way.   :shrug:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:08:21 pm »

Is it going to hit NJ NY?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:11:18 pm »
My dad lives on the Albemarle Sound and he won’t evacuate.   *****rollingeyes*****

I thought he would’ve learned his lesson from Isabella in 2003.

Make sure he is aware of the storm surge predictions:

https://cera.coastalrisk.live/#

Offline verga

My wife's brother and his wife liv in VA beach. We tell them every year, if they need to evacuate that we have plenty of room.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Navy ships evacuated, nearly 1,000 National Guard troops activated ahead of Hurricane Florence
By Ellen Mitchell - 09/10/18 02:09 PM EDT

The U.S. military has evacuated 30 Navy ships based in Virginia and activated more than 950 North and South Carolina National Guard troops ahead of Hurricane Florence's expected landfall on the east coast.

Spokesman Col. Robert Manning on Monday said that U.S. Fleet Forces Command has ordered all Navy ships in Hampton Roads, Va., out to sea, as "forecasted destructive winds and tidal surge are too great to keep the ships in port."

“Ships will be directed to areas of the Atlantic where they will be best postured for storm avoidance,” Manning told reporters at the Pentagon. “Some units will not get underway due to maintenance status but will be taking extra precautions to avoid potential damage.”

In addition, more than 750 South Carolina Guard personnel were placed on state active duty orders for Florence response after 564 were added Monday.

“The Department of Defense is working very closely with the Department of Homeland Security and is prepared to assist FEMA and our other Federal partners in supporting the States impacted by the storm,” Manning said.

“Our operation centers are in constant communication and are ready to respond and assist with military capabilities.”

Florence is anticipated to possibly develop into a Category 5 an extremely dangerous major hurricane. It was upgraded to a Category 4 storm on Monday, with sustained winds at 130 mph that are expected to increase further.

In anticipation of the damage, North Carolina has activated 200 of its Guardsmen, Gov. Roy Cooper (D) said Monday.

“We have 200 national guard troops that have been activated and we have many more who are there and ready to serve and to be activated when we need them,” Cooper said.

On Saturday, the governors of Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina all declared a state of emergency ahead of Florence's landing, likely to hit the ground late Thursday night or early Friday morning.

Cooper, hoping to obtain public assistance for the state, also on Monday requested that President Trump expedite a declaration of an emergency for North Carolina.

Trump has canceled a planned Friday rally in Mississippi as Florence barrels down. 

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/405906-navy-ships-evacuated-nearly-1000-national-guard-troops-activated-ahead-of
Support the USO

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:11:54 pm »
Make sure he is aware of the storm surge predictions:

https://cera.coastalrisk.live/#

Yes – it really ripped up the marina the last time they had a hurricane in the area. Fortunately, he is on ground higher than most in the development. His place won’t flood.

Isabella touched off tornadoes in the area back in 2003.  Most of the home damage in his area was from fallen trees.  The neighbor across the street had their garage cleaved in two by a massive pine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:15:25 pm by edpc »

Offline Suppressed

The latest ECMWF ensemble:

from https://www.bennollweather.com/florence
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 08:43:18 pm »

Yes – it really ripped up the marina the last time they had a hurricane in the area. Fortunately, he is on ground higher than most in the development. His place won’t flood.

Isabella touched off tornadoes in the area back in 2003.  Most of the home damage in his area was from fallen trees.  The neighbor across the street had their garage cleaved in two by a massive pine.

I hope he's okay.  Flooding is a huge problem with this one, I think, so it's good that's not a concern for him, at least!
+++++++++

Online Polly Ticks

-- bookmark --
Hubby and I are supposed to be going to Asheville on Thursday. Too far inland to worry about storm surge and such, but I'm not convinced of the wisdom of heading into the dregs of the storm.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
What's concerning for the general Washington, D.C. region...the ground is already saturated.

This makes it much more dangerous for uprooting trees and of course, flash flooding.

I hate driving along narrow country roads cutting through forests, even in nice weather...let alone in this crap.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

What's concerning for the general Washington, D.C. region...the ground is already saturated.

This makes it much more dangerous for uprooting trees and of course, flash flooding.

I hate driving along narrow country roads cutting through forests, even in nice weather...let alone in this crap.

Our son is inside the beltway in Maryland.  We'll be in touch with him.

Stay safe, @DCPatriot !
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

I'm too far inland (western PA) to get the brunt of Florence, but our local weather soothsayers are already saying heavy rain from Florence could reach here.  This will be on top of the heavy rain that fell here almost nonstop from Saturday till this afternoon from Gordon.  Some places around me had 8 to 9 inches.  I think my neighborhood might have had around five.  Luckily, I'm not in a flood plain, but  I did get a few trickles of water in the garage.    Next home project will be to get a waterproofer for the basement and garage. 

Prayers up for everyone in the path of Florence.  Stay safe.

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 09:36:20 pm »
I hope he's okay.  Flooding is a huge problem with this one, I think, so it's good that's not a concern for him, at least!

The old Master Chief is a stubborn one, but I talked to him today and he’s got a ton of provisions, fuel, and a generator.  The development rules require them to keep a certain amount of forestation the property, so the big risk is wind, in his case.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:37:44 pm by edpc »

Offline musiclady

I'm too far inland (western PA) to get the brunt of Florence, but our local weather soothsayers are already saying heavy rain from Florence could reach here.  This will be on top of the heavy rain that fell here almost nonstop from Saturday till this afternoon from Gordon.  Some places around me had 8 to 9 inches.  I think my neighborhood might have had around five.  Luckily, I'm not in a flood plain, but  I did get a few trickles of water in the garage.    Next home project will be to get a waterproofer for the basement and garage. 

Prayers up for everyone in the path of Florence.  Stay safe.

Thank heavens the rain from Gordon has stopped.   Our ground is drenched from 48 straight hours of rain, and we certainly don't need any more.

And I'm in the middle of Ohio.........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 09:39:32 pm »

The old Master Chief is a stubborn one, but I talked to him today and he’s got a ton of provisions, fuel, and a generator.  The development rules require them to keep a certain amount of forestation the property, so the big risk is wind, in his case.

Beer?  What about the beer?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Our son is inside the beltway in Maryland.  We'll be in touch with him.

Stay safe, @DCPatriot !

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The latest cone: