Author Topic: Osaka claims U.S. Open title after Serena meltdown  (Read 5964 times)

Offline endicom

Osaka claims U.S. Open title after Serena meltdown
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:45:46 am »
Reuters
Steve Keating
Sept. 8, 2018

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Naomi Osaka became Japan’s first Grand Slam singles champion after she thumped Serena Williams 6-2 6-4 in a controversial U.S. Open final on Saturday, with the American suffering a mesmerizing meltdown after being handed a code violation.

It was drama-filled conclusion to a final that was rich with storylines but will now go down as one of the most controversial Grand Slam finals of all time.

There was much riding on the match for both women, with Osaka bidding to become the first man or woman from Japan to lift a Grand Slam singles title and Williams poised to equal Margaret Court’s record of 24 major titles.

More... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-usopen-williams-osaka/osaka-beats-serena-to-win-first-grand-slam-title-idUSKCN1LO0UP

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Osaka claims U.S. Open title after Serena meltdown
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:52:03 am »
So what was controversial?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:07:52 pm by mystery-ak »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:05:06 am »
Serena played the gender card, too. Like her opponent isn’t female :shrug:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:10:34 am »

Yellow beats back  black?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 02:19:37 am »
Yellow beats back  black?

Not sure. I think I read that Osaka’s part Japanese and part Haitian. That’s a tough one to use the race card on, but they’ve started.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:27:24 am »
Not sure. I think I read that Osaka’s part Japanese and part Haitian. That’s a tough one to use the race card on, but they’ve started.

Okay.   This might be interferstring.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 02:29:24 am »
Osaka played an incredible tournament and final. Serena behaved very badly and that was the real shame.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 02:31:27 am »
Osaka played an incredible tournament and final. Serena behaved very badly and that was the real shame.

A future Nike ad in the making?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 02:44:51 am »
A future Nike ad in the making?

She’s actually part of the Kap Nike ad controversy.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/05/nike-colin-kaepernick-commercial/
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 03:05:55 am »
Mouratoglou later admitted he had been coaching but in another strange twist an unrepentant Williams continued to deny she had received any advice and was instead a victim of sexism.

“He (Ramos) alleged that I was cheating, and I wasn’t cheating,” said Williams. “I’ve seen other men call other umpires several things.

“I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff.

“For me to say ‘thief’ and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark.”

This is what drives me crazy about Serena.  She is an incredible athlete and an immensely talented tennis player, but then she goes and spouts off the most ridiculous tripe about what a victim she is. 

She was clearly badgering the chair umpire after two previous code violations, and it had absolutely nothing to do with her gender or women's rights.  Ugh.

It stinks for Osaka because she played well enough to win even without all the drama, but because of the spectacle from Serena all the joy was sucked right out of her first major victory.  Pretty much her entire time on the winner's podium was spent in tears.  It was really unfortunate.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 03:18:49 am »
If John Patrick McEnroe Jr were alive today i am sure he would have something to say about her loss.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:24:22 pm by Mod5 »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 12:41:04 pm »
Osaka is of Haitian and Japanese heritage, but has lived in the U.S. since childhood and holds dual Japanese-U.S. citizenship. During the match, 1) Serena's coach flashed hand signals to tell her to charge the net more. 2) Serena missed a shot and slammed her racket to the ground, rendering it unusable. 3) Serena berated the chair ump, insisting on her own ethical purity and accusing him of stealing the match from her. That third infraction resulted in the assessment of a one game penalty, and Osaka went on to win the second set.

Serena lost this match because Osaka outplayed her. The younger woman won in straight sets, and that's not the ump's fault. Throughout the match, the pro-Serena crowd booed every point Osaka scored. And then the tournament officials made it even worse at the awards ceremony:
It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka
By Maureen Callahan
September 8, 2018 | 8:35pm

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam.

Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost.

Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final.

It’s hard to recall a more unsportsmanlike event.  ...

At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

“Perhaps it’s not the finish we were looking for today,” Adams said, “but Serena, you are a champion of all champions.” Addressing the crowd, Adams added, “This mama is a role model and respected by all.”   ...
NY Post

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 12:56:00 pm »

SI Tennis  Verified account @SI_Tennis

Serena: "I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality and for all kinds of stuff. For me to say 'thief' and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said 'thief'."
6:51 PM - 8 Sep 2018

Candace Owens  Verified account @RealCandaceO
25m25 minutes ago

Ah. Yes. Serena lost last night because of racism, sexism, misogyny and russian collusion. Not because Osaka played better.
I have pre-ordered her upcoming tell-all book “what happened”, so that I may better understand the topic of ‘butt-hurt on the tennis court’.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 01:23:57 pm »

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-shameful-what-us-open-did-to-naomi-osaka/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 01:25:19 pm »

Serena Williams reacts while being interviewed after her defeat to Naomi Osaka.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 03:48:24 pm »
“I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff. For me to say ‘thief’ and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark.

That's funny,I don't care who you are!

Nothing is more funny than seeing a multi-millionaire entertainer screaming about being a figurehead for justice. Get within 15 feet of her and she would have her bodyguards beat you to within an inch of your life unless you are recognized as being another multi-millionaire.

So what she is REALLY saying is that she stands for the rights of other homegurl multi-millionaire sports entertainment figures. Namely she and her sister,and she would push her sister under a bus if that is what it would take for her to win another championship.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:49:04 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 03:52:30 pm »
So what was controversial? 

@The Ghost

Well,to be fair,the Japanese woman was not expected to win playing against a female that looks like a NFL linebacker. Strength does matter in tennis.

This was the linebackers match to lose,and she lost it by losing her cool.

Maybe they will give her an "Participant Trophy" and a T-shirt to make her feel good?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:24:50 pm by Mod5 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 03:53:22 pm »

@goodwithagun

Compared to her,most bricklayers look female.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 03:58:29 pm »
This is what drives me crazy about Serena.  She is an incredible athlete and an immensely talented tennis player, but then she goes and spouts off the most ridiculous tripe about what a victim she is. 

@Polly Ticks

You can take the rat out of the hood,but you can't take the hood out of the rat. When people get mad,they fall back on what they know. In her case,she knows that anything bad that happens to her is someone else's fault.

It was her game to lose,and she did. She will never accept the blame for this,though. It's just not a part of her culture to accept blame for anything.

It stinks for Osaka because she played well enough to win even without all the drama, but because of the spectacle from Serena all the joy was sucked right out of her first major victory.  Pretty much her entire time on the winner's podium was spent in tears.  It was really unfortunate.

I couldn't agree more. Would it have killed Serena to have been even a TINY bit gracious and congratulated her opponent on the victory? And if it did,wouldn't that have made America a better place?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 04:01:54 pm »

Serena Williams reacts while being interviewed after her defeat to Naomi Osaka.

@mystery-ak

I can't help it. Every time I see a photo of her on a tennis court,I wonder why somebody dressed a NFL linebacker as a female tennis player.

She had better hire a SERIOUS dietician to monitor her food intake once she retires,or she will balloon up to 500 lbs.

BTW,do female tennis players get checked for steroid use?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:04:05 pm by sneakypete »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
Serena looks more muscular than fat....as far as the steroid use I have no idea if the Tennis Federation monitors that.
Support the USO

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
Just another Nike sponsored multi-millionaire who claims, simultaneously, to be both entitled and persecuted.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 04:56:43 pm »
Serena looks more muscular than fat....as far as the steroid use I have no idea if the Tennis Federation monitors that.

@mystery-ak

That's why I say she looks like a NFL linebacker. She can probably bench press more weight than most men.  She has been working hard since she was a child to be a pro tennis player,and it shows.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 04:59:59 pm »

Adidas should grab onto that photo....use it as a meme headline.

Once again Nike only gives excuses. Adidas builds today's champions.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 05:50:29 pm »

By Maureen Callahan
September 8, 2018 | 8:35pm

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam.

Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost.

Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final.

It’s hard to recall a more unsportsmanlike event.  ...

At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

“Perhaps it’s not the finish we were looking for today,” Adams said, “but Serena, you are a champion of all champions.” Addressing the crowd, Adams added, “This mama is a role model and respected by all.”   ...

Excellent article and right on the money.