Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 58036 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2018, 10:04:49 pm »
There shouldn't be only two choices.

Many people have left the Republican party because they are far more conservative than the party and there is no place for us there.

The alternative is not becoming a pro-abortion Democrat.   That's actually quite a silly suggestion for a conservative like Sasse.

@austingirl
@musiclady

Silly? I didn't know you were the arbiter of silly. You've got a lot on your plate.

Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bilo

« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »
I agree with you.  He certainly ain't my "Orange God" either.  I will even go so far as to say I am still appalled that the GOP nominated him. 

I am especially disgusted that a lot of evangelicals winked at his despicable confession of Christ at Liberty University.  (I will "wink" at sins--even pretty bad sins--but over-the-top hypocrisy of the sort that is ultimately contemptuous of the blood of Christ needs to be called out [at least] for what it is:  serious blasphemy of the sort that even a reprobate like Thomas Jefferson would have condemned.)

Now that Trump is our POTUS, however, I am reminded that my God is in the Heavens and He does whatsoever He pleases.  That is one reason for my conscientious refusal to vote in 2016;  it is also why I do not assume that Trump's election is the beginning of the end of our Republic.  (Heck, having Hillary as POTUS would have brought about the dreadful, irreversible end that we deserved.)  I certainly do not pray, as some bitter NeverTrumpers seem to be praying, that we get what we deserve. I pray for our POTUS as I pray for America.  And I believe I am seeing my prayers being answered.

You know we've had Presidents who are born again Christians and yet Trump (who would have thought it) is doing more to support Israel than we've ever seen. He not only followed through and moved the Embassy, but he has also begun rescinding payments to the PLO and various other groups who want to destroy Israel. In addition to this he has been very vocal in denouncing Christian persecution around the world as well as fighting to get Pastors and missionaries released from imprisonment.

He has surprised me.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2018, 10:31:42 pm »
Be happy with the burn pits under your hero George W. Bush and how service people have died of cancers rarely seen Musiclady but don't criticize others who are in the battle for this country's future.

not enough editing Tom
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:08:12 pm by mystery-ak »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2018, 10:37:29 pm »
You seem to have us confused with the 'ends-justify-the-means' crowd.  As for DU, we aren't the ones here rejecting TRUTH.   

@Hoodat

You wouldn't recognize truth if it bit you on your ass.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #354 on: September 10, 2018, 10:39:27 pm »
T
hat's ridiculously lame for you.

Echo chambers and fairness doctrines are what the Left pushes for - and we have learned it is what Trump fanatics also push for.

Methinks the comfort zone you suggest is projection, because the Trump fanatics teach us daily that they have less in common with Conservatives and more in common with Collectivists/Statists as long as the long arm of big government is Trump's.
@INVAR

You are delusional. The difference is we are pragmatic,and you live in a dream world. Dream worlds are for Dims and other children.

Offline Mod5

« Reply #355 on: September 10, 2018, 10:43:08 pm »
Just a friendly reminder - no more personal insults.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #356 on: September 10, 2018, 10:43:34 pm »
No one is praying that we get what we deserve. That, @the_doc , is beneath you.  *****rollingeyes*****

Some of us know that Yahovah does not save nations out of their debauchery and depravity.
REPENTANCE as a nation must come first.

2 Chron 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (KJV)

@roamer_1

Let me see if I have this straight,ok? YOU are the one that only deals in facts and realities,and the people supporting Trump because he is doing a good job are the ones who are delusional?

Did you come to this conclusion yourself,or did your magical spook appear before you in a dream to explain it to you?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #357 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:02 pm »
@roamer_1

Let me see if I have this straight,ok? YOU are the one that only deals in facts and realities,and the people supporting Trump because he is doing a good job are the ones who are delusional?

Did you come to this conclusion yourself,or did your magical spook appear before you in a dream to explain it to you?

What the heck does any of that have to do with the post you quoted?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2018, 10:49:52 pm »
What the heck does any of that have to do with the post you quoted?

@roamer_1

What,you don't even read your own posts?

Did you,or did you not write the cut and paste quote below?

Some of us know that Yahovah does not save nations out of their debauchery and depravity.
REPENTANCE as a nation must come first.

2 Chron 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (KJV)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2018, 10:50:45 pm »
@roamer_1

What,you don't even read your own posts?

Did you,or did you not write the cut and paste quote below?

Sure I did.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2018, 10:53:45 pm »
@musiclady

Silly? I didn't know you were the arbiter of silly. You've got a lot on your plate.

Avoiding the point I was clearly making.

The idea that the only choice Sasse has is to join the pro-abortion Democrat party when he's on the conservative end of the not-so-conservative Republican party is illogical.

I was hoping you'd address the point and not go all ad hominem on me.   :shrug:

@austingirl
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2018, 10:54:50 pm »
Be happy with the burn pits under your hero George W. Bush and how service people have died of cancers rarely seen Musiclady but don't criticize others who are in the battle for this country's future.

Emjay can go and defend slavery and saying something bad about Lincoln to be vindictive towards others for merely talking about Bush 41's groping.

This post makes absolutely NO sense.

Oy.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Mod5

« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2018, 10:55:30 pm »
Let's move on from this thread for a time.   

:dontfeed:

Offline the_doc

« Reply #363 on: September 11, 2018, 05:19:32 pm »
Will you please name the person/persons you are accusing of this?

Because without a citation and proof, it is a really ugly and certainly un-Christian accusation.

@the_doc

Please go back and re-read what I said before you make an ugly accusation (LOL). 

The operative word in my statement was seem.  My point is that I definitely do believe--whether rightly or wrongly--that too many people on TBR who have been publicly prophesying America's ruin under Trump have become emotionally (perversely, smugly) invested in a scenario in which Trump falls flat in his serious attempts to drain the Swamp.  I doubt that they fully realize their spiritual blunder, but I have noticed that the most ardent NeverTrumpers have never affirmed that they pray for God to have mercy on Trump.  They just trash him for his past sins, and scoff at him for his present political roughness.  They seem to want him removed--which likely would precipitate the final  ruin of America.     

So, I stand by what I said in my previous post.  Wait and see what God does through our POTUS between now and yearend. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #364 on: September 11, 2018, 05:29:49 pm »
Please go back and re-read what I said before you make an ugly accusation (LOL). 

The operative word in my statement was seem.  My point is that I definitely do believe--whether rightly or wrongly--that too many people on TBR who have been publicly prophesying America's ruin under Trump have become emotionally (perversely, smugly) invested in a scenario in which Trump falls flat in his serious attempts to drain the Swamp.  I doubt that they fully realize their spiritual blunder, but I have noticed that the most ardent NeverTrumpers have never affirmed that they pray for God to have mercy on Trump.  They just trash him for his past sins, and scoff at him for his present political roughness.  They seem to want him removed--which likely would precipitate the final  ruin of America.     

So, I stand by what I said in my previous post.  Wait and see what God does through our POTUS between now and yearend.

So your accusation was based on what you feel and have surmised, not what is true.  :shrug:

You have NO idea if people who don't approve of Trump pray for him, or don't.  You just don't like that some people won't whitewash lack of character, and want everyone to have come to the same 'revelation' that you have.

I would recommend that, to help continue the reputation you clearly have of being an honest broker (you are), that you would in the future avoid stating as black and white the way things "seem" to you.

Your broad brush condemnation and feelings about the matter make what you post "seem" to be quite inaccurate.

btw, it is duly noted that you have neither responded with any names, nor any citations to back up your feelings on the matter.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:30:33 pm by musiclady »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #365 on: September 11, 2018, 05:30:54 pm »

Some of us recognize that God answered the demands of what the people wanted, and gave it to them.

Which is NEVER a good thing as biblical history illustrates.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #366 on: September 11, 2018, 05:39:09 pm »
Who unlocked the chastity belt on this thread?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #367 on: September 11, 2018, 05:45:44 pm »
@INVAR

Seems to me like a few of you would be much more comfortable posting at DU or Huffington Post. After all,that's where your "peeps" are that  you have the most in common with.

I agree @sneakypete but as far as an Internet Fairness doctrine is concerned, anybody who watched Tucker Carlson last night saw an amazing expose of how Google tried to influence the election.  Also @INVAR because he blames Trump for everything including things he hasn't done or mentioned yet.

We all know Google has a lot of power.  It's the NO. 1 search engine by far and we all know that you have to be prepared to go 5 or 6 pages deep to find unbiased answers to any search. 

I'm not totally sure that we don't need some sort of control.  The only problem is letting government control anything because that's never a good idea.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #368 on: September 11, 2018, 05:49:34 pm »
Yes, good things are happening.   But it is Trump that, right now, poses the gravest threat to all that good news.    He insists that this fall's elections be a referendum on him and his style,  not the growing prosperity.    That risks all - voters are expected to make the subtle and difficult decision to recognize that prosperity and reward Republicans while cringing nightly at the latest Presidential tantrum.     That is a lot to ask - too much,  I believe, to save the House.   And with the House in Dem hands,  the next two years will be Crazytown, 24/7.     

Always a 'but' @Jazzhead   Good things are happening 'but'

But you don't like Trump's personality.  You admit to growing prosperity but Trump is a jerk.

You may admit to the probability of Trump improving the Supreme Court in a dramatic way, but Trump is a jerk.

You may admit to Trump actually putting America first in trade and in protecting our country from being overwhelmed by illegal alients ... but Trump is a jerk.

Now I'm wondering who the real jerk is in this scenario.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #369 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:21 pm »
I agree @sneakypete but as far as an Internet Fairness doctrine is concerned, anybody who watched Tucker Carlson last night saw an amazing expose of how Google tried to influence the election.  Also @INVAR because he blames Trump for everything including things he hasn't done or mentioned yet.

We all know Google has a lot of power.  It's the NO. 1 search engine by far and we all know that you have to be prepared to go 5 or 6 pages deep to find unbiased answers to any search. 

I'm not totally sure that we don't need some sort of control.  The only problem is letting government control anything because that's never a good idea.

Government regulation - no, never.

But using anti-trust laws on the books a judge might be able to break Google up into smaller entities that can then compete with each other for our business.

Given what we are finding out about the Google and their obvious desire to use their immense resources to influence political outcomes by filtering information I don't know why anyone (who isn't a drooling left winger) would find fault with this.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:51:56 pm by skeeter »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2018, 05:51:00 pm »

@Emjay

Yes,that is always the problem,isn't it? How do you release that monster and then get him to quietly go back into his cage?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2018, 05:53:20 pm »
There's an Ignore button?  Why?

Because coming here everyday when the NTers are on full alert can be depressing.  They never say anything original or hopeful.

It's all downbeat, I hate Trump, I hate Republicans, ...blah, blah, blah.

I took everyone off of ignore for several weeks but after realizing they NEVER say anything enlightening or original, I decided to protect myself from their mire of despair.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2018, 05:55:58 pm »
Sasse Boy=

Harvard, Oxford, Yale

PhD

Academic or government

period

Never really worked for a living, outside college or government.

We already have far too many like that

No significant accomplishments, since HS Valedictorian

Sucks taxpayers' teat for a career.

Amen @truth_seeker   That resume is only impressive to another college professor.  Maybe all college professors should be forced to work in a real industry for a while before running for office.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #373 on: September 11, 2018, 05:57:20 pm »
@skeeter

You and I are in EXACTLY the same boat across the board.  There is no doubt about a thing you said there.

@skeeter @Bigun   I'll join your club if you'll let me in.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #374 on: September 11, 2018, 06:01:57 pm »
There shouldn't be only two choices.

Many people have left the Republican party because they are far more conservative than the party and there is no place for us there.

The alternative is not becoming a pro-abortion Democrat.   That's actually quite a silly suggestion for a conservative like Sasse.

@austingirl

@musiclady   The problem is reality.  There are only two choices right now and we can either live with that and choose the best alternative or we can sit it out.

Sitting it out is okay as a personal choice but it is a selfish one.  Because if all the purists sit it out, that opens the door for the Dark Side to take over.  We all know what the democrats stand for and the scary thing is ... they are getting worse.

It will be many years, if ever, before a third party could become viable.  We can't wait for that because if the democrats ever get power again they will ruin our country.