Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 57916 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2018, 11:08:04 pm »
Yes, or to be able to enlist in a fashion that does not impede their conscience. Anything else is coercive.
There are other ways to serve.
So people should remain in a Safe Zone? You think people don't need, or have, any intestinal fortitude to stand up to coercion?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2018, 11:18:20 pm »
So people should remain in a Safe Zone? You think people don't need, or have, any intestinal fortitude to stand up to coercion?

@Elderberry
Lest we wander off too far, let me first enumerate that 'chickenshit' is not a foundational principle. And I do understand that many who are chickenshit will lean upon 'conscientious objector' to stay out of the way of it...

But with that said, YES, one who has a principled stand against killing, should not be made to do so. Many people of faith are so ascribed. If they can be made useful in the supply chain then that should be enough. It is a team sport, after all. He's saving American lives if he is making their Humvees run well.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2018, 11:20:13 pm »
@Chosen Daughter
@the_doc
OK, sorry, got it...
Take out the ones in prison, and the ones who resigned in disgrace...that leaves then the ones under investigation, and the ones currently under a cloud of scandal, then the ones who said they wanted to eliminate their departments before they started getting a paycheck, so

So Nikki and Linda.

I did not ask who you like among those in the Trump admin at this time, but who you dislike.  So far I've gotten no response, but I am still very curious. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2018, 11:28:33 pm »
@Elderberry
Lest we wander off too far, let me first enumerate that 'chickenshit' is not a foundational principle. And I do understand that many who are chickenshit will lean upon 'conscientious objector' to stay out of the way of it...

But with that said, YES, one who has a principled stand against killing, should not be made to do so. Many people of faith are so ascribed. If they can be made useful in the supply chain then that should be enough. It is a team sport, after all. He's saving American lives if he is making their Humvees run well.
@roamer_1

If one has a principled stand against killing, how is anyone going to force him to kill? Its not going to happen. I had read many years ago that there are around 9 soldiers to support every 1 soldier on the front lines. Therefore there are many jobs for conscientious objectors to fill in the military without personally killing.

My objection is with you claiming that conscientious objectors should not enlist. That's a hell of a thing to say, in my mind.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2018, 11:30:58 pm »
My objection is with you claiming that conscientious objectors should not enlist.

@roamer_1 never made that claim.

Nevermind.  I now see the nuance of that claim.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:34:04 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2018, 11:35:12 pm »
@roamer_1

If one has a principled stand against killing, how is anyone going to force him to kill? Its not going to happen. I had read many years ago that there are around 9 soldiers to support every 1 soldier on the front lines. Therefore there are many jobs for conscientious objectors to fill in the military without personally killing.

My objection is with you claiming that conscientious objectors should not enlist. That's a hell of a thing to say, in my mind.

@Elderberry
I don't believe I said they should not enlist - But OK, let's go with that... To be more specific, An Amish man would not enlist, because their reading of the Word dispenses with all killing of hoomin beans, to include supporting roles. I respect their conviction, and their way. I do not think lesser of them as Americans or as a people for that conviction, founded in principle as they see it.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2018, 11:39:39 pm »
@Elderberry
I don't believe I said they should not enlist - But OK, let's go with that... To be more specific, An Amish man would not enlist, because their reading of the Word dispenses with all killing of hoomin beans, to include supporting roles. I respect their conviction, and their way. I do not think lesser of them as Americans or as a people for that conviction, founded in principle as they see it.

Did I not understand when You answered Yes to my question?

Online roamer_1

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #143 on: Today at 05:41:25 PM »

Quote from: Elderberry on Today at 05:38:28 PM

So you believe that conscientious objectors should not enlist in order to serve Our Country?

Yes, or to be able to enlist in a fashion that does not impede their conscience. Anything else is coercive.
There are other ways to serve.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2018, 11:47:22 pm »
@roamer_1

I don't believe anyone here is telling you such a thing...it's very easy to misinterpret what is typed on the internet vs. what one actually means...case in point...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksaw_Ridge
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2018, 11:49:37 pm »
Did I not understand when You answered Yes to my question?

@Elderberry
No, you understood me right. Just not as expansively as I would have liked. Let me reiterate plainly:

An Amish man, as I said, would not enlist, as a conscientious objector, and I am alright with that.

Folks of other faiths/beliefs might well enlist, but not serve on the front, being useful in the supply chain as conscientious objectors.  I am alright with that too.

It is a matter of conscience.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2018, 12:09:58 am »
Social media users quickly responded, arguing that Trump has pushed lifelong Republicans from the party.
“He is accelerating the trend, obviously,” Sasse said to the claim. “But it didn’t start two years ago.

Go ahead, Mr. Sasse, be my guest.
Leave. Please leave.
But... leave your Senate seat vacant, so a real Senator on our side can fill it.

You ain't on our side, and you're simply keeping it warm.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2018, 12:14:46 am »
Social media users quickly responded, arguing that Trump has pushed lifelong Republicans from the party.
“He is accelerating the trend, obviously,” Sasse said to the claim. “But it didn’t start two years ago.

Go ahead, Mr. Sasse, be my guest.
Leave. Please leave.
But... leave your Senate seat vacant, so a real Senator on our side can fill it.

You ain't on our side, and you're simply keeping it warm.

Alright - But then stop calling 'your side' Conservative.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2018, 12:25:39 am »
Alright - But then stop calling 'your side' Conservative.

We take you now, to a garage, in Canoga Park...
..It makes its own sauce...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2018, 12:27:25 am »
We take you now, to a garage, in Canoga Park...
..It makes its own sauce...

... Called the republican party... It looks better than liberalism, but smells exactly the same...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2018, 12:31:57 am »
... Called the republican party... It looks better than liberalism, but smells exactly the same...

I don't know...sounds like you are singing to us about the trials and tribulations of garage-band husbandry.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2018, 12:38:48 am »
I don't know...sounds like you are singing to us about the trials and tribulations of garage-band husbandry.

Because y'all have left your principles behind for the sake of winning. That's alright, knock yourself out - But don't call it Conservatism, because it ain't.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:39:22 am by roamer_1 »

Online Wingnut

« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2018, 12:45:29 am »
Because y'all have left your principles behind for the sake of winning. That's alright, knock yourself out - But don't call it Conservatism, because it ain't.

Okay them.  We take you now, to a garage, in Canoga Park...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2018, 12:47:15 am »
Okay them.  We take you now, to a garage, in Canoga Park...

.. Called the republican party... It looks better than liberalism, but smells exactly the same...

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2018, 01:56:50 am »
.. Called the republican party... It looks better than liberalism, but smells exactly the same...

The fallacy of voting for lesser of evils.  Trump was a poker hand.  His voting and political history is all over the place.  I don't regret not voting for him.  Especially now seeing what chaos comes from hiring someone who's only knowledge is to run a business by whatever corrupt deals you can make.  Gives you an administration mess.  Its like an HBO White House series.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2018, 02:13:58 am »

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only
If you gotta load or unload, go to the White Zone

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2018, 02:42:17 am »
The fallacy of voting for lesser of evils.  Trump was a poker hand.  His voting and political history is all over the place.  I don't regret not voting for him.  Especially now seeing what chaos comes from hiring someone who's only knowledge is to run a business by whatever corrupt deals you can make.  Gives you an administration mess.  Its like an HBO White House series.

As predicted.
I won't be voting Republican any time soon.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2018, 02:49:04 am »
As predicted.
Well just stick to church-oriented social activities then...

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2018, 02:52:42 am »
As predicted.

For me not the lesser of two evils for sure.  If there isn't a good candidate to vote for I won't vote.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2018, 02:59:48 am »
Well just stick to church-oriented social activities then...

Like courting mega-donors for Right-to-Life causes? Maybe I will again... but only if the money is flowing to the Constitution party. I flatly refuse to work for the party of broken promises anymore... Not another damn dime.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2018, 03:00:43 am »
For me not the lesser of two evils for sure.  If there isn't a good candidate to vote for I won't vote.

DITTOS.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2018, 03:03:37 am »
Like courting mega-donors for Right-to-Life causes? Maybe I will again... but only if the money is flowing to the Constitution party. I flatly refuse to work for the party of broken promises anymore... Not another damn dime.

It will be interesting to see what the Constitution Party brings for 2020.