Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 57770 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2018, 08:05:06 pm »
The operative phrase was:  in the Trump Administration at this time.

@the_doc
OK, sorry, got it...
Take out the ones in prison, and the ones who resigned in disgrace...that leaves then the ones under investigation, and the ones currently under a cloud of scandal, then the ones who said they wanted to eliminate their departments before they started getting a paycheck, so

So Nikki and Linda.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2018, 08:05:07 pm »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »
Sasse is a NeverTrumper.

Uh, no.  Sasse is a NeverLiberal.  And clearly, you are not.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2018, 08:05:48 pm »
 @jpsb
 Sasse has never said anything nice about hellary NOR has anyone here, NT or AT alike.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:21 pm »
Sasse is a NeverTrumper.

@jpsb

Oh look!!! Another one proving my point!

Y’all are so utterly predictable. 
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:37 pm »
@Emjay

Well now...isn’t it illuminating that you assumed I was referring to you?   Eminently sensible, I’d say.

Don't be childish @Axeslinger   Are you saying you were NOT referring to me?

Offline the_doc

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:56 pm »
NeverTrumpers tend to purge themselves. I have no problem with Sasse being in the GOP. But I do
think he is stupid to want to see Hillary as POTUS. No serious conservative would want to see that.
In the real world you have to make hard choices. Thankfully there were enough of us to save the
country from Hillary. You can thank us later.

Whoa,  I never heard that Sasse wanted to see HRC as POTUS.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2018, 08:08:23 pm »
Nope!  Not that entertaining.

@Emjay

Hmmmm....I notice you didn’t bother to answer the very polite question I asked you upthread...I wonder why that would be?!?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
Sasse is a NeverTrumper.

I don't think so @jpsb   People over on TOS cannot stand him because he wasn't for Trump during the primaries.  But I don't think he's an NTer now.  I could be wrong but I think he respects the job Trump is doing even though Trump's personality may grate on him.

It is entirely possible for a sane person to realize that Trump is doing a decent job as President and support him in that role even while being somewhat offended by some of his personal traits.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:10 pm »
Disappointing for Sasse to tweet this after the great speech at the Kavanaugh hearing. Would he actually consider joining the party of abortion and open borders?

You assume a binary choice, which is a falsity.
And might I say that the Republicans are also a party of abortion and open borders... you may only argue as to the degree.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2018, 08:13:27 pm »
@Emjay

Hmmmm....I notice you didn’t bother to answer the very polite question I asked you upthread...I wonder why that would be?!?

Good luck with that.  I'm still waiting for her to point out the part of Sasse's tweet that "derided the Republican Party".
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2018, 08:13:55 pm »
That's because because @the_doc is using a Trumpian technique described by President Trump in his competently written and grammatically correct book Art of the Deal as "truthful hyperbole."

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2018, 08:15:58 pm »
NeverTrumpers tend to purge themselves. I have no problem with Sasse being in the GOP. But I do
think he is stupid to want to see Hillary as POTUS. No serious conservative would want to see that.
In the real world you have to make hard choices. Thankfully there were enough of us to save the
country from Hillary. You can thank us later.

@jpsb

So...do tell...

Sasse has the third highest conservative rating behind only Mike Lee and Rand Paul...so by your statement above, he is not a serious conservative, yet his rating puts the lie to your nonsense...so I guess we shall infer that the ONLY thing in your fevered brain that qualifies as “serious conservative” is supporting trump?

It’s a logical conclusion from your “facts” as you’ve stated them above.  Thanks for going on record and posting the trumper lunacy for all to see.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2018, 08:17:50 pm »
Don't be childish @Axeslinger   Are you saying you were NOT referring to me?
@Emjay
Are you admitting you are a member of the trump fanboy club?  Well that certainly would put many of your comments in a new light...

Offline jpsb

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »
@jpsb

Oh look!!! Another one proving my point!

Y’all are so utterly predictable.

Nope just telling the truth

In early 2016, while both parties' presidential primary election seasons were in progress, Sasse announced that he would not support Republican front-runner Donald Trump should Trump become the party's candidate; he was the first sitting senator to make such an announcement. Sasse questioned Trump's commitment to the U.S. Constitution, in particular accusing him of attacking the First Amendment; he stated that Trump had refused to condemn the Ku Klux Klan; and he suggested that Trump "thinks he's running for King". He stated that if Trump won the party's nomination, then he would vote neither for him nor for Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, but would probably "look for some third candidate—a conservative option, a Constitutionalist". According to a Sasse spokesman, he did not say that he would necessarily leave the party if Trump was nominated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Sasse

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2018, 08:20:52 pm »
I don't think so @jpsb   People over on TOS cannot stand him because he wasn't for Trump during the primaries.  But I don't think he's an NTer now.  I could be wrong but I think he respects the job Trump is doing even though Trump's personality may grate on him.

It is entirely possible for a sane person to realize that Trump is doing a decent job as President and support him in that role even while being somewhat offended by some of his personal traits.

@Emjay

Finally!!! Thank you for finally seeing the light for what 99.9% of the NTs on this site have been saying for 2+ years.   I will assume you will encourage your AT buddies to cease their Perpetual derision towards us. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2018, 08:23:36 pm »
@Emjay

Finally!!! Thank you for finally seeing the light for what 99.9% of the NTs on this site have been saying for 2+ years.   I will assume you will encourage your AT buddies to cease their Perpetual derision towards us.

The last intelligent post on this thread  was a couple of pages ago before the NTers woke up from their hangovers.  I won't be posting on this particular thread until Mesaclone or Maj Bill Martin gets on it.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2018, 08:23:42 pm »

That you wouldn’t know a “serious conservative” if they walked up and kicked you in the ass?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2018, 08:23:47 pm »

Not even close Emjay.  Sasse has been very outspoken about Trump and continues to be when appropriate.  You have misunderstood his speech during the Cavanaugh confirmation hearings.  It wasn't a cheering speech to affirm Trumps Supreme Court Choice.  It was a speech about government and how we should determine whether Cavanaugh is the right choice, which I believe he thought he is.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2018, 08:26:45 pm »
The last intelligent post on this thread  was a couple of pages ago before the NTers woke up from their hangovers.  I won't be posting on this particular thread until Mesaclone or Maj Bill Martin gets on it.
@Emjay

Yes...run along...until others come along who will back up your bias come to save you...

Offline jpsb

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »

One of two people was going to be POTUS. Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. Any conservative that
did not vote R was helping Hillary. Any liberal that did not vote D was helping Trump. Since one of
them was going to get elected. Only in la la land was there a viable 3rd option. Understand that I
have thrown my vote away before too. I just could not bring myself to vote McCain in 2008 so I
went third party. Immigration is primary issue to me and McCain meant amnesty so I just could
not pull the lever for him. I effectively helped Zero.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2018, 08:29:10 pm »

He stated that if Trump won the party's nomination, then he would vote neither for him nor for Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, but would probably "look for some third candidate—a conservative option, a Constitutionalist".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Sasse

Wow.  Someone unwilling to sacrifice his Conservative convictions.  Thanks for posting.  I like Sasse even more after reading that.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2018, 08:29:58 pm »
You can thank us later.

That will never happen.  We have nothing to thank you for except excusing larger trillion dollar deficits and a continuous 'us versus them clownshow'.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
I effectively helped Zero.
Why would I listen to an Obama lover?  J/K It's OK America survived, and it will survive Trump too.  Perhaps even thrive when he is impeached.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2018, 08:37:05 pm »
One of two people was going to be POTUS. Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. Any conservative that
did not vote R was helping Hillary. Any liberal that did not vote D was helping Trump. Since one of
them was going to get elected. Only in la la land was there a viable 3rd option. Understand that I
have thrown my vote away before too. I just could not bring myself to vote McCain in 2008 so I
went third party. Immigration is primary issue to me and McCain meant amnesty so I just could
not pull the lever for him. I effectively helped Zero.

@jpsb

Hahahahaha the hypocrisy is rich with you...you bash people for doing the EXACT same thing you did in the election before?!?
Thank you for showing all of us that everything you say is merely self-serving and is free to be ignored!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:37:50 pm by Axeslinger »