Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 57746 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 06:11:33 pm »
@Emjay

How exactly did Ben's tweet "deride the Republican Party"?  Please be specific.

(And for the record, nothing makes the Republican Party look worse than seeing Republican politicians reneg on their promises once elected.  Sasse has remained true to his.)

Without going back and reading the exact wording, I believe he replied to a tweet asking if he ever thought about changing parties and he said he did.

I believe that carries at least a whiff of derision for the Republican Party and it was a huge mistake.  Not totally unforgiveable if he quickly attempts to explain and disclaim.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 06:12:28 pm »
McConnell redeemed himself when he jumped on the Trump Train back in early 2016 just to keep Ted Cruz out of the White House.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 06:13:13 pm »
@Emjay

He hanged himself?

COOL! I hadn't heard.

Not yet, Sneaky, but he has done a masterful job getting the Kavanaugh hearings through the Senate.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 06:13:58 pm »
as I said upthread:

“Pretty much the only “conservatives” who criticize Sasse are members of the trump fanboy club because he has on occasion criticized trump.”

And the usual suspects are chiming in, proving my point exactly....
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 06:14:53 pm »
as I said upthread:

“Pretty much the only “conservatives” who criticize Sasse are members of the trump fanboy club because he has on occasion criticized trump.”

A QED moment indeed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:20 pm »
I tweeted back, thanking him for the speech, but asking him shouldn't he be more pissed at McConnell and the turncoats for not getting anything done?

If he doesn't like Trump's demeanor, to each his own I guess, but if we're focused on results, the problem lies in the very body he serves in.

Are you on Twitter as Free Vulcan?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 06:18:51 pm »
as I said upthread:

That is ridiculous.  I posted yesterday on the hearings thread how impressed I was with Sasse.

And I have repeatedly stated that the only reason I am upset by his tweet is that I do like him and don't want him to throw his political future away.

Do you have any sensible response?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 06:20:27 pm »
Are you high?
@Hoodat @Axeslinger @Chosen Daughter
I was actually being sarcastic to make a point.  I think Sen Sasse is fully awesome and he could be the future of the party that splinters off the GOP.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:21:45 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 06:25:14 pm »
I was actually being sarcastic to make a point.  I think Sen Sasse is fully awesome and he could be the future of the party that splinters off the GOP.

By the time a viable party with a chance of winning could splinter off of the GOP, even Sasse will be too old to run.

His only chance for a political future will be to stick with and try to improve the Republican Party.  We have a small but growing number of really smart Senators who can accomplish this, especially if we can add to their ranks and get rid of the deadwood.  Lee, Cruz, Sasse ... to name a few.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 06:25:25 pm »
Without going back and reading the exact wording,  .  .

There's your first mistake.

I believe he replied to a tweet asking if he ever thought about changing parties and he said he did.

I didn't ask you what he replied to.   I asked you what he said.  Specifically, how did Ben's tweet "deride the Republican Party"?

I believe that carries at least a whiff of derision for the Republican Party and it was a huge mistake.

So now it's minimized to "at least a whiff of derision"?  And all this was done without actually reading what he tweeted?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 06:27:33 pm »
The reason I am so upset about this is that I like Sasse a lot and I think he has a future in the leadership of the country.

But it is childish and thoughtless for him to throw it away in a silly tweet.

Ted Cruz is probably equally disgusted with some of the Republicans but he would never do that.

Ben is young, good-looking and incredibly smart.  I hate to see him throw it away on some pie-in-the-sky notion of some perfect party out there somewhere.

He has to work within the party and he won't get anywhere by making an enemy of his own party.

There is no Republican party anymore.  It is a huge experiment in reality show.

For years, talking about running for the presidency has been somewhat of a hobby for Donald Trump. The first time was in 1987, when, instead of buying ad space to promote his new book, he gave speeches hinting at the possibility of a run. In 1999, he suggested to Larry King that Oprah Winfrey would be his first choice for a vice president. Gwen Ifill traces his trajectory to the nomination.

Read the Full Transcript

Read the Full Transcript

GWEN IFILL:

Tonight, we continue our series exploring Donald Trump’s life, his transformation from businessman to reality TV star, to presidential nominee.

In this final installment, we look at Trump’s political transformation to billionaire populist.

In retrospect, this scene seemed inevitable, Donald Trump, surrounded by the trappings of wealth and celebrity, staking his claim to the world’s most powerful office.

DONALD TRUMP, (R) Presidential Candidate:

I am officially running for president of the United States, and we are going to make our country great again.

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)

GWEN IFILL:

His candidacy was initially dismissed as a prank, a long shot. But, in fact, it was 28 years in the making.

Gwenda Blair is a Trump biographer.

GWENDA BLAIR, Author, “The Trumps”:

It’s not the first time, second, third, fourth, or even fifth. It’s the sixth time that he has talked about being president.................................

cont.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/2016-donald-trump-history-toying-presidential-run

Under a President Donald Trump, the Republican Party would become a different one, a broad, populist coalition focused on workers who have gone too long without a raise and on social programs the party establishment has long seen as anathema to its long-term success.

“Love the question,” Trump said in response to a question from Bloomberg Businessweek's Joshua Green in a profile of Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus published Thursday. The article bears the headline, "How to Get Trump Elected When He’s Wrecking Everything You Built."
“Five, 10 years from now — different party. You’re going to have a worker’s party," Trump said in the May 17 interview. "A party of people that haven’t had a real wage increase in 18 years, that are angry."

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-gop-workers-party-223598

The many ways in which Donald Trump was once a liberal’s liberal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/07/09/ths-many-ways-in-which-donald-trump-was-once-a-liberals-liberal/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f6f5d6c2dc3a

And is it any wonder that Trump would call Manafort a good man even though he clearly broke the law?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/08/21/trumps-business-of-corruption
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
There's your first mistake.

I didn't ask you what he replied to.   I asked you what he said.  Specifically, how did Ben's tweet "deride the Republican Party"?

So now it's minimized to "at least a whiff of derision"?  And all this was done without actually reading what he tweeted?

What is wrong with you?  Give it up.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 06:32:11 pm »
Ben Sasse Conducts a Two-Minute Master Class in American Civics

By David French     |     September 4, 2018 6:50 PM

Look, I’m the first to admit I’m biased about Ben Sasse. I consider him a friend, and my wife has worked for him on various projects. I like Ben Sasse, but I like Sasse in part because of moments like this — moments when he puts on what is best described as a short master class in civics and the role of the judiciary in the American constitutional republic. Watch and learn:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1037052337234366465

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kavanaugh-hearings-ben-sasse-civics-lesson-supreme-court/

THIS is Conservatism!

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 06:34:12 pm »
By the time a viable party with a chance of winning could splinter off of the GOP, even Sasse will be too old to run.

His only chance for a political future will be to stick with and try to improve the Republican Party.  We have a small but growing number of really smart Senators who can accomplish this, especially if we can add to their ranks and get rid of the deadwood.  Lee, Cruz, Sasse ... to name a few.

Just to be clear "Lee, Cruz, Sasse" are the "really smart Senators" not the "deadwood?"  Agreed. wink777

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 06:37:29 pm »

I hope he takes you to nirvana...The band... not the plain of existence
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 06:37:55 pm »
   Hey Sasse, Come to our party and bring your Friends Cruz, Lee, Jordan, Meadows and the other like minded Congress Critters.  It's a low mileage vehicle with a full frame and we can drop a 454 in it.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 06:38:15 pm »
Disappointing for Sasse to tweet this after the great speech at the Kavanaugh hearing. Would he actually consider joining the party of abortion and open borders?
Principles matter. Words matter.

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 06:39:30 pm »
I hope he takes you to nirvana...The band... not the plain of existence
I just hope I can shower less after saying I still have conservative opinions.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 06:40:11 pm »
Just to be clear "Lee, Cruz, Sasse" are the "really smart Senators" not the "deadwood?"  Agreed. wink777

I had to read it twice too.  I thought she was suggesting they were the deadwood.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 06:43:21 pm »
I just hope I can shower less after saying I still have conservative opinions.

It is important to build up a protective crust.  Showering too much makes you susceptible to illness and liberal thoughts......  Both are detrimental to your overall well-being
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 06:43:38 pm »
Disappointing for Sasse to tweet this after the great speech at the Kavanaugh hearing. Would he actually consider joining the party of abortion and open borders?

I never even thought that someone would suggest that but you did.  LOL! 

At Trumps rally he suggests to the crowd we love Judge Jeanine don’t we?  Cheers from the Trump fans!!  But Judge Jeanine describes herself and it is a far cry from “Republican” , at least as I know it.  And more closely describes what Ted Cruz accurately said during a Presidential debate which was “New York Values”........................

During an appearance at the Crime Victims Resource Center, Pirro described herself this way: "I am red on fiscal policy. I am conservative and I support the Bush tax cut." She added, however: "I have broad blue stripes when it comes to social issues... I am a woman who is a moderate in New York."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanine_Pirro

It might be more of a case of not knowing what Republican party is anymore.  But I assure you that Sasse would not be going left, but toward the original intent of the government set up by the Founding
Fathers.

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »
It might be more of a case of not knowing what Republican party is anymore.  But I assure you that Sasse would not be going left, but toward the original intent of the government set up by the Founding
Fathers.

Oh you and your conservative values, integrity, freedom, and Constitutional limits.  Outdated.  Loser.  Sad.  Many people are saying this.  /sarc...just in case it's needed
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:57:47 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 06:57:27 pm »

Thanks @austingirl for bringing a little sanity back to this discussion.

Sasse wasn't hinting that he was attracted to the democrat party.  He was expressing dissatisfaction with the Republican Party and hinting (or saying) that he'd considered changing parties.

I was disappointed, just as I am disappointed when semi-sane people like @corbe dream about a Constitution Party.

Any attempt at all to create a third party right now would just weaken the Republican Party and leave the door wide open for democrats.  With the democrat party as filled with a mix of crazy and crazier, it would lead to complete disaster.

The best chance a third party ever had or ever will have was Dallas Billionaire H. Ross Perot.  This guy managed to attract a LOT of people and all he succeeded in doing was getting Clinton elected.

A lot of people got hysterical at me on this thread because I was upset with Sasse even though I made it clear that I like Sasse very much and think he is one of the great (white) hopes for the party.

I do not want him to drift over into Never Never Land because of annoyance with Republicans.  We're on a pretty good roll right now even with Trump and should soon have two really good new Justices in the court.  I am thrilled with Kavanaugh.  He did not put a foot wrong.  Could Trump have nominated two better people?  Don't see how.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
   Hey Sasse, Come to our party and bring your Friends Cruz, Lee, Jordan, Meadows and the other like minded Congress Critters.  It's a low mileage vehicle with a full frame and we can drop a 454 in it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2018, 07:05:25 pm »
Thanks @austingirl for bringing a little sanity back to this discussion.

Sasse wasn't hinting that he was attracted to the democrat party.  He was expressing dissatisfaction with the Republican Party and hinting (or saying) that he'd considered changing parties.

I was disappointed, just as I am disappointed when semi-sane people like @corbe dream about a Constitution Party.

Any attempt at all to create a third party right now would just weaken the Republican Party and leave the door wide open for democrats.  With the democrat party as filled with a mix of crazy and crazier, it would lead to complete disaster.

The best chance a third party ever had or ever will have was Dallas Billionaire H. Ross Perot.  This guy managed to attract a LOT of people and all he succeeded in doing was getting Clinton elected.

A lot of people got hysterical at me on this thread because I was upset with Sasse even though I made it clear that I like Sasse very much and think he is one of the great (white) hopes for the party.

I do not want him to drift over into Never Never Land because of annoyance with Republicans.  We're on a pretty good roll right now even with Trump and should soon have two really good new Justices in the court.  I am thrilled with Kavanaugh.  He did not put a foot wrong.  Could Trump have nominated two better people?  Don't see how.

That's the same thing the Whigs told Lincoln in 1858 and we know how that turned out @Emjay The War of Northern Aggression, so you may have a point. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.