Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 57751 times)

Offline corbe

GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party

By Morgan Gstalter - 09/08/18 10:24 AM EDT

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) acknowledged on Twitter Saturday morning that he “regularly” considers leaving the Republican Party.

Sasse responded to a Twitter user who said they switched from being a member of the Democratic Party to being a "no-party" voter and asked the GOP senator if he ever considered following suit.

“Yep — regularly consider it (except the 'from Dem' part)” Sasse wrote. Sasse frequently criticizes his own party and President Trump.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/405691-gop-senator-acknowledges-that-hes-regularly-considers-leaving-republican
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:58:38 pm »
He's clearly part of the Deep State...when was he elected?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 05:11:52 pm »
I thought Nebraska was set up a bit more for independents, they do have that one legislative branch there, one legislative body. But good for Ben Sasse.  At the least, Nebraska is more of a place, one might be able to say this in a safer way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:20:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 05:12:55 pm »
He's clearly part of the Deep State...when was he elected?

@Once-Ler

Um wow...I think you pegged this one about 180degrees out of phase.   Sasse was elected in 2015.  Do a YouTube search for “Ben Sasse Kavanaugh hearing” and see if that strikes you as a deep stater.     Pretty much the only “conservatives” who criticize Sasse are members of the trump fanboy club because he has on occasion criticized trump.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:14:01 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:26:38 pm »
Sasse didn't qualify that tweet much as to why, other than the exodus from the party started with Bush. Which didn't stop The HIll from morphing it into what they wanted it to be, and adding pseudo-Republicans like Comey, Schmidt, and Boehner.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 05:27:52 pm »
@Once-Ler

Um wow...I think you pegged this one about 180degrees out of phase.   Sasse was elected in 2015.  Do a YouTube search for “Ben Sasse Kavanaugh hearing” and see if that strikes you as a deep stater.     Pretty much the only “conservatives” who criticize Sasse are members of the trump fanboy club because he has on occasion criticized trump.

Amen!!!  The problem with Sasse?..............There isn't any.  The problem is with the Trump administration smearing good Americans who have taken oaths to serve.  This Senator knows his job.  He understands the Constitution and the separate powers of government.  He is a good man that loves his country and his family.

And likely if Ben Sasse said the swamp needed to be drained he would be talking about restoring the government to the original purposes of their powers.  To fight crime in our government and those who would diminish what was given to us by the Founders.  He certainly would not think that he could drain half of the swamp.

And if Ben Sasse ever runs for President he has my vote.  No matter who he is running against.

Expand more:

The other night I watched Trump at his rally on FOX News.  Who does he love?  Shawn Hannity, and Judge Jenine.  Who are they?  Television personalities, that who.  Judge Jenine is hardly judge at all.  I have read her biography.  She describes herself as fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  Shawn Hannity is opinion personality on FOX News.  What have either done for the country besides continually sell Donald Trump, and believe me he needs selling.  Because he contradicts himself continuously.  Wants a wall but signs bloated bills that strap our children with debt with no clear funding.  He keeps shouting about draining the swamp yet when Manafort and Cohen are found guilty of crimes he tweets what good men they are.  Complains that Sessions is doing his job bringing charges against Republicans.  Like a child saying your picking on us. 

The fan club has "picked" on Ben Sasse but I am certain that he is better than the majority of Trumps Administration which is falling apart. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:42:10 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 05:32:23 pm »
Sasse didn't qualify that tweet much as to why, other than the exodus from the party started with Bush. Which didn't stop The HIll from morphing it into what they wanted it to be, and adding pseudo-Republicans like Comey, Schmidt, and Boehner.

That tweet was a mistake and took a bit of the Sasse luster off for me.  Ben made a huge impression with that mini-speech at the hearing.  It's even been posted on my Facebook page.  It had me thinking of a future President Sasse and maybe a few other people as well.

But he will be throwing away his future completely if he says another word about leaving the Republican Party. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 05:37:04 pm »
That tweet was a mistake and took a bit of the Sasse luster off for me.  Ben made a huge impression with that mini-speech at the hearing.  It's even been posted on my Facebook page.  It had me thinking of a future President Sasse and maybe a few other people as well.

But he will be throwing away his future completely if he says another word about leaving the Republican Party.

I tweeted back, thanking him for the speech, but asking him shouldn't he be more pissed at McConnell and the turncoats for not getting anything done?

If he doesn't like Trump's demeanor, to each his own I guess, but if we're focused on results, the problem lies in the very body he serves in.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 05:41:05 pm »
Ben needs to shut his Twitter mouth even more than Trump does.

It's one thing for petulant TBR posters to deride the Republican Party.

It's quite another for a Republican Senator to do so.

I hope he will quickly clarify this, perhaps by saying something like, The Republican Party is not perfect and I'm occasionally dissatisfied with various actions but it remains the country's only hope to remain a Republic.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »
I tweeted back, thanking him for the speech, but asking him shouldn't he be more pissed at McConnell and the turncoats for not getting anything done?

If he doesn't like Trump's demeanor, to each his own I guess, but if we're focused on results, the problem lies in the very body he serves in.

McConnell has redeemed himself a tiny bit lately.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 05:46:37 pm »

True, gotta give him props for the judges.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 05:47:47 pm »
True, gotta give him props for the judges.

Yep!  And how important is that !!!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 05:53:35 pm »
He's clearly part of the Deep State...

Are you high?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 05:53:47 pm »

Who cares?  You wait on every word from Trump as do all of his fan club.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline darroll

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 05:56:49 pm »
Gee....
This just proves that libs run as Republicans just to get elected. Congress is full of these.
Does this remind anyone about the latest crap?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 05:57:12 pm »
Who cares?  You wait on every word from Trump as do all of his fan club.

You should get an award for that post.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 05:58:15 pm »

Republican means little since last election.  Trump selects the "Republicans" he thinks are "Republicans", the rest are dumped on like Ben Sasse.  And Trump isn't Republican.  If you have read the history of his political aspirations he took them in name only because he knew a third party could not win.  He has even described what he said his party would be and it is Workers Party.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 05:59:25 pm »
You should get an award for that post.

Thank you, I will take it but it wasn't my best!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 06:00:47 pm »
The reason I am so upset about this is that I like Sasse a lot and I think he has a future in the leadership of the country.

But it is childish and thoughtless for him to throw it away in a silly tweet.

Ted Cruz is probably equally disgusted with some of the Republicans but he would never do that.

Ben is young, good-looking and incredibly smart.  I hate to see him throw it away on some pie-in-the-sky notion of some perfect party out there somewhere.

He has to work within the party and he won't get anywhere by making an enemy of his own party.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 06:01:14 pm »
Thank you, I will take it but it wasn't my best!

Oh, but it was.  It was your very best.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 06:03:48 pm »
Ben needs to shut his Twitter mouth even more than Trump does.

It's one thing for petulant TBR posters to deride the Republican Party.

It's quite another for a Republican Senator to do so.

@Emjay

How exactly did Ben's tweet "deride the Republican Party"?  Please be specific.

(And for the record, nothing makes the Republican Party look worse than seeing Republican politicians reneg on their promises once elected.  Sasse has remained true to his.)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 06:05:23 pm »
Sasse is a squish.  I stand with @Frank Cannon on him.  Which is with a boot on his scrawny neck.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 06:06:58 pm »
GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party

By Morgan Gstalter - 09/08/18 10:24 AM EDT

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) acknowledged on Twitter Saturday morning that he “regularly” considers leaving the Republican Party.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out,bubba!

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 06:09:38 pm »

@Emjay

He hanged himself?

COOL! I hadn't heard.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 06:11:01 pm »
Are you high?

@Once-Ler   @Hoodat

This is Once-Ler. How could you tell?