Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 57934 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #525 on: September 13, 2018, 12:52:18 am »
Me too. And I'm DONE with arguing about it.

Talk about a fruitless pursuit.

Me, too.  Especially annoyed at having to argue with @Jazzhead because he, at least, respects the things Trump is doing.  But he keeps wanting Trump to 'change.' and no matter how many people explain to him that Trump will not change; in fact Trump has no reason to change, he wouldn't listen to reason even when I confronted him with the fact that he, himself, will not change nor will he consider trying to change.

Oh. well.  Does anyone remember what started this thread?  I think its time has past.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #526 on: September 13, 2018, 01:08:36 am »
@roamer_1

And you really are a mountain man,living the life,and roaming free in the mountains,right? No degrees,no white collar jobs,house,bank accounts,retirement fund,IRA's,etc,etc,etc?

Did I have all that? Well yeah... for a season. Turned out it was all a lie, and gone in a flash.

No... Pretty much everyone knows my story... I am not 'roaming free', having been struck down by illness and wound up in a wheelchair. Having experienced miraculous healing by the hand of the God you deny, I now concern myself with getting my body back, and then on to being free again. I am in my sixth year coming back. A long row to hoe.

I have none of those things, except that which I will mention hereafter. All of that was lost in my illness.

I own a stickframe cabin a mile from town, it's contents, a shed out back with all my tools, an old pickup, a trailer, and a minivan. I own one account, for receiving electronic payments, and busy myself fixing computers mostly for cash... the only part of three businesses left from the previous time. The rest of it cratered when I fell ill. What little I have been able to save is in the Bank of Earth in mason jars here and there.

Other than that, I am about to close on a 20 acre piece at the end of the dirt, backed on two sides by national forest. The next step. I will be felling trees there for a cabin as soon as I can find a tractor, and build a bandsaw mill... and will hopefully be living there by the end of next summer, with a barn and another stick frame cabin... Good Lord willing, and I don't fall down again. But if I do, then the next year. It is in Yahovah's hands, and not mine.

THEN, yes... I will be back where I belong. And a long road getting there.

But what has that to do with anything here?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #527 on: September 13, 2018, 01:21:01 am »
Confessing to laughing my ass off when I read that, too.

"Pragmatism can get you killed....."  roamer_1

LOL!   I'm convinced that @roamer_1 is pulling our legs.  He's a simple contrarian who, even when covered head to toe in shit...will not say 'Uncle'.   ....a real PIA.    :laugh:

I am absolutely serious, @DCPatriot . Break the laws of nature and you die. Your pragmatism would cause you to cross the ice on the river because of need, and the shortest route. My principles would tell me that almost regardless of the need, you never cross the ice. Find another way.

And 9 times out of ten, you might be right, but you can only be right so long... and then you are bound to be wrong - and the consequence is always the same.

I am listening to a guy named Paulides on youtube, going on and on about the mysterious disappearances and deaths in national forests... It is no mystery to me.

Offline corbe

« Reply #528 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:42 am »
   I for one, @roamer_1 admire your tenacity in Life and also what you bring here, to TBR.  I always attributed your clear thinking to living up there in 'Big Sky Country'. 
   I have to travel 150 miles west (towards Big Bend) to experience the Angels dropping matches from the sky.  I miss it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #529 on: September 13, 2018, 01:26:31 am »
Very gracious response, @roamer_1.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #530 on: September 13, 2018, 01:34:20 am »
I am absolutely serious, @DCPatriot . Break the laws of nature and you die. Your pragmatism would cause you to cross the ice on the river because of need, and the shortest route. My principles would tell me that almost regardless of the need, you never cross the ice. Find another way.

And 9 times out of ten, you might be right, but you can only be right so long... and then you are bound to be wrong - and the consequence is always the same.

I am listening to a guy named Paulides on youtube, going on and on about the mysterious disappearances and deaths in national forests... It is no mystery to me.

LOL!  You admit that 9 out of 10 times I may be correct...but that 90% accuracy rating STILL isn't good enough for you.

My friend, that's called 'life'.    You expect too much of yourself. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LMAO

« Reply #531 on: September 13, 2018, 01:39:42 am »
There are consequences to pragmatism but there’s also consequences to sticking to your principles
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #532 on: September 13, 2018, 01:49:40 am »
There are consequences to pragmatism but there’s also consequences to sticking to your principles

There are consequences getting out of bed in the morning.

You make decisions based upon the landscape. 

You can make a right turn on red...but you have to check.

Stubbornness...works better here.   This 'principle' bullshit is a smokescreen.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #533 on: September 13, 2018, 01:49:48 am »
   I for one, @roamer_1 admire your tenacity in Life and also what you bring here, to TBR.  I always attributed your clear thinking to living up there in 'Big Sky Country'. 
   I have to travel 150 miles west (towards Big Bend) to experience the Angels dropping matches from the sky.  I miss it.

If my life has taught me anything @corbe ... It is that nothing is more important than that which you miss. A front porch with a tin roof, a dirt road, family and friends. Good work for the hands. If you miss it, go and find it, before it is too late.

Simple things.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #534 on: September 13, 2018, 01:52:55 am »
LOL!  You admit that 9 out of 10 times I may be correct...but that 90% accuracy rating STILL isn't good enough for you.

My friend, that's called 'life'.    You expect too much of yourself.

I know how it looks to you @DCPatriot , my friend... I know how it looks to you. But it's that tenth time that is the difference.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #535 on: September 13, 2018, 01:55:42 am »
I know how it looks to you @DCPatriot , my friend... I know how it looks to you. But it's that tenth time that is the difference.

Yeah...but those missing people in the forest?   The ones you "understand"?

Those are the ones that also refused to cross the ice "...and took the long way home".    wink777

Online roamer_1

« Reply #536 on: September 13, 2018, 01:56:15 am »

No. Liberty has responsibilities.
Freedom has consequences.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #537 on: September 13, 2018, 01:59:48 am »
Yeah...but those missing people in the forest?   The ones you "understand"?

Those are the ones that also refused to cross the ice "...and took the long way home".    wink777

LOL! nope. Caution is everything in the woods. Taking chances is how you die.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #538 on: September 13, 2018, 02:00:46 am »
If my life has taught me anything @corbe ... It is that nothing is more important than that which you miss. A front porch with a tin roof, a dirt road, family and friends. Good work for the hands. If you miss it, go and find it, before it is too late.

Simple things.

Never mentioned this before and probably shouldn't now but I walked away from a $250k per year job some years ago in order to do just that and have never been sorry for even one second.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

Online roamer_1

« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2018, 02:16:59 am »
Never mentioned this before and probably shouldn't now but I walked away from a $250k per year job some years ago in order to do just that and have never been sorry for even one second.

Well, then you done better than me... The good Lord had to slap me upside the head with a 2x4 and sit me down for a decade so I could think it through....  :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #541 on: September 13, 2018, 02:23:06 am »
Well, then you done better than me... The good Lord had to slap me upside the head with a 2x4 and sit me down for a decade so I could think it through....  :shrug:

Actually my wife and I had a very long discussion over breakfast one Saturday morning during which many things were discussed.  About a month later God provided me with an off ramp and I took it.  You should know that I understand you and sincerely pray for all your dreams to come true.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #542 on: September 13, 2018, 02:23:50 am »
   I have planned next month to take my annual trek over to the Frio River at the base of the Guadalupe Mts.  Missed it last year.   Great Therapy.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #543 on: September 13, 2018, 02:56:36 am »
Actually my wife and I had a very long discussion over breakfast one Saturday morning during which many things were discussed.  About a month later God provided me with an off ramp and I took it.  You should know that I understand you and sincerely pray for all your dreams to come true.

Thanks very much for that @Bigun ... but it really ain't on me. I spent half my life jumping in the traces, and hitting the end of the chain... I am waiting on Him from now on.

Because it was Pete, I left off the other half of that deal... Down on the highway below the place, there's a decrepit general store, with an attached mechanic's shop and a school and a chapel/grange hall out back - all abandoned. It has hitchin posts all around it... It's hillbilly country, and pretty insular, so the feller what owns all that won't sell to me. But that is what the Father is pokin at me to do... I think the acreage is just to get me in the neighborhood.

That little complex used to be the center of that little hillbilly community. And they are hurting with it gone. It will never make any real money. I am a great mechanic, and computer tech, but surely not a grocer, or preacher, or school principle... but it looks like I am fixin to be.

Dunno. Like I said, I am trying to stay at heel and not get distracted by skwerls.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2018, 03:07:45 am »
   I have planned next month to take my annual trek over to the Frio River at the base of the Guadalupe Mts.  Missed it last year.   Great Therapy.

Good. While you are there, buy a chunk of it and don't come back... Have that therapy all the time.

John Denver has a line in 'Wild Montana Skies'... that tells my story:

There was something in the city that he said he couldn't breathe
And there was something in the country that he said he couldn't leave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYuy9p1Hd3Y

Shoulda never went... Even if it was just to town.  Been twenty years trying to get back :shrug:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #545 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:34 am »
Did I have all that? Well yeah... for a season. Turned out it was all a lie, and gone in a flash.

No... Pretty much everyone knows my story... I am not 'roaming free', having been struck down by illness and wound up in a wheelchair. Having experienced miraculous healing by the hand of the God you deny, I now concern myself with getting my body back, and then on to being free again. I am in my sixth year coming back. A long row to hoe.

I have none of those things, except that which I will mention hereafter. All of that was lost in my illness.

I own a stickframe cabin a mile from town, it's contents, a shed out back with all my tools, an old pickup, a trailer, and a minivan. I own one account, for receiving electronic payments, and busy myself fixing computers mostly for cash... the only part of three businesses left from the previous time. The rest of it cratered when I fell ill. What little I have been able to save is in the Bank of Earth in mason jars here and there.

Other than that, I am about to close on a 20 acre piece at the end of the dirt, backed on two sides by national forest. The next step. I will be felling trees there for a cabin as soon as I can find a tractor, and build a bandsaw mill... and will hopefully be living there by the end of next summer, with a barn and another stick frame cabin... Good Lord willing, and I don't fall down again. But if I do, then the next year. It is in Yahovah's hands, and not mine.

Thanks for sharing that @roamer_1   I am so sorry about your illness but you are obviously handling it like the strong soul you are.  May God bless you and make you whole again.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2018, 03:53:52 am »
Thanks for sharing that @roamer_1   I am so sorry about your illness but you are obviously handling it like the strong soul you are.  May God bless you and make you whole again.

Thank you @Emjay for your kind reply.  :seeya:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #547 on: September 13, 2018, 05:04:26 am »

roamer,

Thank you for posting.  God is good!  Be praying for you total healing over you.  And for your land and cabin you plan on building.  What an inspiration you are.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #548 on: September 13, 2018, 08:06:08 am »
roamer,

Thank you for posting.  God is good!  Be praying for you total healing over you.  And for your land and cabin you plan on building.  What an inspiration you are.

That is altogether too kind, @Chosen Daughter ...Knowing the row you have had to hoe, It means a whole lot. Hope things are well with you - and YES, God is good!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #549 on: September 13, 2018, 12:54:13 pm »
Me, too.  Especially annoyed at having to argue with @Jazzhead because he, at least, respects the things Trump is doing.  But he keeps wanting Trump to 'change.' and no matter how many people explain to him that Trump will not change; in fact Trump has no reason to change, he wouldn't listen to reason even when I confronted him with the fact that he, himself, will not change nor will he consider trying to change.

He'll have no "reason to change" until the dogs are staring down at him.   

I'm not sure exactly what we're "arguing" about, @Emjay.   We both respect Trump's policy directions (you perhaps more than me,  since I disagree strongly with his attitudes toward immigration),  and we both want those policy directions to continue.    But I see a storm bearing down if Trump can't change and start acting like a President.   Trump has his base,  but hasn't extended his appeal despite the current prosperity.   Carville's maxim - it's the economy, stupid - is about to proven wrong by reason of Trump's insistence that this election be about him.    And there are millions who will buy the argument that a Dem Congress is needed to provide a necessary check to Trump's megalomania.   

It was interesting to me that half of yesterday's letters to the editor in the Wall Street Journal commenting on the anonymous Times op-ed expressed relief that such "traitors" existed in the White House,  keeping the man-child President from doing something stupid.    Perhaps the subtle message is that we don't need Dems to check the President;  the GOP is quietly but effectively curbing his worst impulses.   And of course Trump's reaction is to go ballistic,  and underscore yet again the need for there to be adults in the room. 

As for me,  I will vote as I always have without regard to Trump.   I don't have to make a decision on him until 2020.     But it is foolish, IMO,  to place one's head in the sand and proclaim Trump can't change so I'd best shut my yap for the good of the team.   Trump has changed as much as anyone in public life that I know.   You're probably right that he won't heed well-intentioned advice, from folks who aren't his enemies.    But he'll change, one way or another.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide