Author Topic: Should Texas Schoolchildren Be Taught That Alamo Defenders Were ‘Heroic’?  (Read 2008 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Should Texas Schoolchildren Be Taught That Alamo Defenders Were ‘Heroic’?

A committee is recommending that the State Board of Education cut the word from the school curriculum standards because it is ‘value-charged.’
By
Carlos Sanchez
Date
Sep 6, 2018

The concept of defenders of the Alamo being heroic is engrained in the history of this state—and in the psyche of most Texans. The Alamo has been compared to the ancient Battle of Thermopylae, in which an outnumbered Greek army fended off a much larger Persian army for several days before being annihilated. But a committee streamlining the state’s history curriculum standards has removed the word “heroic” from a proposed revision of the curriculum because it is “a value-charged word.”

Last month, the advisory group, called the State Board of Education Social Studies TEKS Streamlining Work Groups and made up of educators and historians, voted to approve a final recommendation making a number of changes to the state’s history curriculum standards. The paragraph in the seventh-grade curriculum, in which Texas history is taught, currently reads as follows:

more
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/texas-schoolchildren-taught-alamo-defenders-heroic/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Hell yes they should be taught that and will be here in Texas I'll assure you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

In another ten years Texas schools will be calling Santa Ana's order to murder prisoners 'heroic'.

The "diversity" as being forced upon us by our government and media will eventually erase our history as we were taught it.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:06:27 pm by skeeter »

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Hell yes they should be taught that and will be here in Texas I'll assure you!

"Hell yes" is RIGHT!  Maybe it would do the students some good to remember the names of those who defended the Alamo.  Hell, I bet today's children don't even know who Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie are, much less how many Mexicans were fighting with the defenders.  My granddaughter, who has gone through 4 years of Texas education had never heard of the Alamo. I was stunned.  Needless to say, we are catching up on Texas history.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

My grandkids will indeed be taught that as they are home schooled.

Propaganda by the state is one reason home schooling is swelling.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

Should Texas Schoolchildren Be Taught That Alamo Defenders Were ‘Heroic’?

Is there any doubt?

No, there is no doubt.

Offline musiclady

DUHH............ OF COURSE they should................ because they WERE heroic!  *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Here is a novel idea:

Teach the history based on facts, good-bad-ugly. For example--

Custer's Last Stand did take place. Wounded Knee did take place.

Do we need to label participants from just one side, as "heroes?"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
They should teach the truth.  Not the subjective, progressive, post-modern "truth".

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

No.

They should be taught the facts and leave it at that, just like (they should be taught) in all other areas.

Moral/value issues should be addressed in the homes and the churches.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Similarly, the ten-person group recommends deleting the current standard that requires students be able to explain Travis letter from the Alamo.

The Travis Letter

Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat.  Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days.  If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt.  Col. comdt.

P. S.  The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

What sort of history will they teach?

Offline corbe

At the time Gen. Sam Houston told Bowie and Travis it was suicidal to stay there.  San Antonio had no strategic value in his campaign to gain Texas's Independence.
   They disobeyed orders and became a rallying cry as did Fannin's screw-up at Goliad.       
   HERO'S ALL!, for buying the Gen precious time to get his $hit together and whup azz..
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ridiculous. Why does this committee exist?

No.

They should be taught the facts and leave it at that, just like (they should be taught) in all other areas.

If one takes morality out of civics, one has no morality.

Machiavelli could not be more wrong.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

If one takes morality out of civics, one has no morality.

Machiavelli could not be more wrong.

What percentage of school teachers do you suppose feel that public funding for Planned "Parenthood" is moral? 

Are these the people we want teaching our children what's right and wrong?

Leave morality to the parents.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

What percentage of school teachers do you suppose feel that public funding for Planned "Parenthood" is moral? 

Are these the people we want teaching our children what's right and wrong?

Leave morality to the parents.
Morality is not in the eyes of the beholder.

It is absolute, in the eyes of God.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Morality is not in the eyes of the beholder.

It is absolute, in the eyes of God.

So, you want the government to teach our kids morality?

Offline skeeter

No.

IMO teach the facts without editorializing. The human mind is capable of discerning moral, heroic self sacrificing behavior when they see it and will judge accordingly.

So, you want the government to teach our kids morality?
no. never said that.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Board signals that ‘heroic’ Alamo defenders will stay in Texas history curriculum

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Board-signals-that-heroic-Alamo-defenders-13221959.php

Texas lawmakers led the charge against the proposals. Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick called it “political correctness.” Rep. Ted Poe, R-Atascocita, even showed up at Tuesday’s meeting to speak out against the changes, a move that surprised board members who said they’ve never seen a Congress member at a meeting before.

The short-lived battle over the Alamo’s role in the state’s social studies curriculum is emblematic of the culture wars that are often fought in the SBOE board room. The board’s authority over school curriculum in Texas made it ground-zero for a clash in 2017 over creationism in science textbooks. Earlier this year, hundreds of people held a rally to protest the board’s reluctance to create a Mexican-American studies course.

At Tuesday’s meeting, the board also discussed the possibility of removing the words “Moses” and “Judeo-Christian values” from the high school social studies curriculum, and debated over how the Civil War is described, but those topics took a backseat to the Alamo outrage.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I will never understand how Liberals came to the conclusion that Christian Spanish conquerors from Europe, are more deserving of American land than East Europe immigrants who are also from Europe.

Both took land from the natives. Both had slaves. What they did was very similar. How is one innocent and the other guilty when they were both simply competing over the same territory.

Do Liberals really imagine that the native and Black people in Texas would have been better off being ruled by the Conquistadors? Is that really a rational argument?

Well, this is another case when Liberals prove that they do not understand history, and they do not understand economics.

They have a misguided view that everything American is bad and everything not American (including Mexico the most violent, murderous, country in the world) is good. This, of course, is an insane, backwards way to think. The rest of the world sucks, big time. That is exactly why all the Hollywood Liberals and Blacks refuse to leave America. And it is why everyone in the world wants to live here. America is best country on Earth. If things in America were one tenth as bad as they claim, I would be gone tomorrow!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
no. never said that.

Then, obviously, I misinterpreted what you wrote.  What do you want schoolteachers to do?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Similarly, the ten-person group recommends deleting the current standard that requires students be able to explain Travis letter from the Alamo.

The Travis Letter

Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat.  Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days.  If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt.  Col. comdt.

P. S.  The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

What sort of history will they teach?

Must be out-of-state liberals who come to Texas to recreate the $h!tholes they fled getting on the committee. They have no understanding of Texas.
Principles matter. Words matter.