Author Topic: Beto in beta: Is Ted Cruz’s young challenger prepared for what’s about to hit him?  (Read 1651 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yahoo by Holly Bailey 9/5/2018

Democratic Rep. Beto O’Rourke hasn’t led in a single poll since he began his bid to unseat Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, but he has become a political sensation anyway, thanks in part to his endless reality show of Facebook live streams and video clips that have quickly gone viral.

First, there was the clip of the three-term congressman from El Paso, Texas, jamming with Willie Nelson on the Fourth of July, which was viewed a half-million times. Some 200,000 and counting watched O’Rourke skateboard around a Whataburger parking lot two weeks ago, the 45-year-old lawmaker letting out a “fshhhhhhoo” as he zoomed by the iPhone held by one of his staffers. An additional 88,000 watched O’Rourke fold his clothes at a laundromat during his month-long swing through Texas last month — a mundane glimpse at life on the campaign trail that sent at least one Facebook commenter into an open swoon over the Senate candidate’s ability to line up the seams on his shirts.

It was just a few days later that Beto-mania, as Texans have come refer to it, hit a new peak in the form of a viral video of O’Rourke defending NFL players’ right to protest during the national anthem. The clip had already garnered millions of views — to date, it has gotten at least 30 million on Facebook and almost 19 million on Twitter — when celebrities took notice. Kevin Bacon retweeted it (prompting a confusing counterattack from Cruz involving “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.”) Russell Crowe praised O’Rourke as a “dude.” LeBron James called it a “must watch.” And comedian Ellen DeGeneres invited O’Rourke to come on her talk show, where he is scheduled to appear Wednesday, generating another round of free publicity for campaign that has not struggled to get media attention.

Heading into the final stretch before Election Day, the political momentum in the race appears to be on O’Rourke’s side, with his attention-getting social media strategy, fawning media coverage (including a recent Vanity Fair piece that speculated he could run for president in 2020, even if he loses his bid for Senate), massive fundraising and packed crowds that seem to be growing bigger by the day.

Though O’Rourke has yet to pass Cruz in the polls, he’s gotten within single digits, including in an NBC/Marist poll last month that found him just 4 points behind his opponent — a shocking development in bright red Texas where a Democrat hasn’t won a statewide election since 1994. And the trend this year is for progressive insurgents to outperform their polling numbers when actual votes are cast.

But for all of this, there are growing concerns among some Democrats in Texas that O’Rourke might not be prepared to handle the coming onslaught of political attacks from Cruz and his well-financed allies, as Republicans battle to hang on to a seat that could prove critical for their control of the Senate next year.

Though the race has been intense for months, the GOP campaign to define and attack O’Rourke has ramped up in recent days, as Cruz and outside GOP groups launched new efforts to undermine O’Rourke’s character and stop his rise in the polls.

On Tuesday, after more than a week of attacking O’Rourke for his position on the NFL protests, Cruz published a 25-second clip of what his campaign claimed was proof that O’Rourke also supported burning the American flag. The video featured a snippet of O’Rourke’s rambling four-minute-long response to a voter who asked him about his support for NFL protests and whether he also supported flag burning during a town hall last week in El Paso.

More: https://www.yahoo.com/news/beto-beta-ted-cruzs-young-challenger-prepared-whats-hit-152252927.html

Online corbe

I refuse to believe beto is his major problem.  It's the precarious line he has to walk in this GOP, this election season, not much  different than it was in 2012. 
   Beto will flame out like abortion Barbie did, I don't believe these polls.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

“But the reality is, none of us know how to win a statewide campaign, and we all need to shut up and not get between something that’s working and November. And up until now, what Beto has been doing has been just fine. … Let him go out there and cuss and ride a skateboard and eat Whataburger and broadcast it on social. What he’s doing, it’s working.”

And this is why Ted Cruz is in the sad shape he is in. People are tired of the 1980's campaign formulas. Running attack ads and giving long boring speeches are dead. Hell, he has VA people running ads as Texans.

I find it amazing that after Trump handed Ted he ass to him working off the script that he didn't learn a damn thing about the new era of campaigning.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
“But the reality is, none of us know how to win a statewide campaign, and we all need to shut up and not get between something that’s working and November. And up until now, what Beto has been doing has been just fine. … Let him go out there and cuss and ride a skateboard and eat Whataburger and broadcast it on social. What he’s doing, it’s working.”

And this is why Ted Cruz is in the sad shape he is in. People are tired of the 1980's campaign formulas. Running attack ads and giving long boring speeches are dead. Hell, he has VA people running ads as Texans.

I find it amazing that after Trump handed Ted he ass to him working off the script that he didn't learn a damn thing about the new era of campaigning.

Frank, you'd be dangerous if you knew what you were talking about. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

@Frank Cannon

Here's a map of Texas showing the location of all gun owners:

Do you really think those people are going to vote for a left wing puke who has sworn to take their guns away from them?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

Do you really think those people are going to vote for a left wing puke who has sworn to take their guns away from them?

I don't know. I see a lot of stupid shit going on in your state as of late and people there may vote against their better interest because there is damn little a single Senator can do to ban guns.

BTW do you really believe that Austin is loaded with gun owners? That would be news to me.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@corbe

Love the new avatar.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't know. I see a lot of stupid shit going on in your state as of late and people there may vote against their better interest because there is damn little a single Senator can do to ban guns.

BTW do you really believe that Austin is loaded with gun owners? That would be news to me.

Yes, Austin is loaded with gun owners.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Just as every other nook and cranny of Texas.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Hey Frank, read the posters who hail from Texas on this website.

They are more representative of the people from this state than the newspapers out of Austin, Dallas and Houston that you might be reading to form those opinions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

Oh I'm sure....

Online corbe

@Frank Cannon     

Even G_d loves TEXAS

So this is for you (Yes, he is a Commie Ba$tard, but he's our's).  Joe Biden still suxs

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

Oh I'm sure....

For example, Travis County where Austin is located, is #8 on the Texas counties for most License to Carry Applications.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Reports/2017Fiscal/byCounty/25LicenseApplicationsIssued.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

For example, Travis County where Austin is located, is #8 on the Texas counties for most License to Carry Applications.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Reports/2017Fiscal/byCounty/25LicenseApplicationsIssued.pdf

Wow! 8000 licenses out of a population of over a million in Travis County. That's really something!

Offline thackney

Wow! 8000 licenses out of a population of over a million in Travis County. That's really something!

That is just new licenses in one year.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer