Author Topic: Hewitt City Council votes 4-2 to fire city attorney at mayor's urging  (Read 591 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WacoTrib By KRISTIN HOPPA 9/4/2018

In a nine-minute special meeting Tuesday, Hewitt City Council members voted 4-2 to oust City Attorney Charles Buenger, who has handled a barrage of accusations by city employees against Mayor Ed Passalugo and certain council members.

In a meeting called by Passalugo, the council voted to end a legal services contract with Buenger, who has represented the city since 1981. The council voted to replace his law firm, Buenger & Associates, with Haley & Olson, P.C.

Passalugo told the council that he has lost confidence in the legal advice Buenger has given in the last several months. He said he discussed the decision with his personal attorney, who is defending him against the employee complaints.

“Myself, along with my (personal) attorney has said the only way to fix this is to make a change,” Passalugo said during the meeting. “That is why I called this special meeting.”

City employees have filed at least 12 separate complaints against elected officials, including Passalugo, council members James Vidrine and Kurt Krakowian, who resigned July 13. Of the complaints, four were specifically against Passalugo; five were specifically against Krakowian; two named both Passalugo and Vidrine; and one complaint was directed at all three men.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/greater_waco/hewitt/hewitt-city-council-votes---to-fire-city-attorney/article_70426023-144e-53eb-8094-e886b29c18e9.html