Author Topic: 'Cosby Show' star speaks out after being 'job shamed' for working at Trader Joe's: 'It hurt'  (Read 1510 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
There is no shame in bagging groceries. It is more honorable than acting.

Former "Cosby Show" actor Geoffrey Owens spoke out about the "job shaming" he said he experienced after photos of him working at a Trader Joe's were posted on Twitter.
"I was really devastated, but the period of devastation was so short," Owens told on "Good Morning America" while wearing his Trader Joe's name tag. "My wife and I started to read these responses from literally all over the world. Fortunately, the shame part didn't last very long." ......

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/cosby-show-star-speaks-job-shamed-working-trader-57587525

Offline ABX

Offline Frank Cannon

We have "job shaming" now? Give me an effing break.

Offline ABX

We have "job shaming" now? Give me an effing break.

Yep. A certain news network mocked him for having to now work as a grocery bagger. (aka, a real job)

Offline mountaineer

It just amazes me that anyone thought this was newsworthy. Good for this fellow for working to support his family. There's no shame in that. It's all work, and it's all honorable.

Now the story is such a big deal:
Tyler Perry offers ‘Cosby Show’ actor a job after public shaming
By Derrick Bryson Taylor
September 4, 2018 | 2:34pm

Geoffrey Owens may be heading back to Hollywood.

Just days after the “Cosby Show” actor was spotted working at a Trader Joe’s in New Jersey and being job-shamed by some media outlets, he is now being offered a new acting gig by Tyler Perry.

“#GeoffreyOwens I’m about to start shootings OWN’s number one drama next week,” the famous director and playwright shared on Twitter on Tuesday, referring to “The Haves and the Have Nots.” “Come join us!!! I have so much respect for people who hustle between gigs. The measure of a true artist.”

Despite the generosity from Perry, Owens shared in a Tuesday “Good Morning America” interview that he didn’t want any handouts from this recent burst of publicity.

“I wouldn’t feel comfortable getting acting jobs from this event,” said Owens. “I wouldn’t mind getting auditions. I don’t mind if people call me to try out for things, due to what’s happened … I want to get a job because I’m the right person.”  ...
More at NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

It just amazes me that anyone thought this was newsworthy. Good for this fellow for working to support his family. There's no shame in that. It's all work, and it's all honorable.

Now the story is such a big deal:More at NY Post

Tyler Perry is one of the good guys in the entertainment industry.

Offline ABX

Some good can come from this, we get to learn what people are really like.

Offline thackney

Among the jobs I have been paid to do include garbage pick up and driving the honey wagon.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

A little bit of personal perspective here: I was a lawyer. I hated being a lawyer, so I quit that profession and entered culinary school, so I've been a lawyer, and I've been a $6 per hour restaurant cook. There's no shame in working. Just do your job, keep your nose clean and support your family. Mr. Owens has earned my respect.

Offline Frank Cannon

Tyler Perry is one of the good guys in the entertainment industry.

Like hell. He created this abomination of a series.....

Offline Frank Cannon

A little bit of personal perspective here: I was a lawyer. I hated being a lawyer, so I quit that profession and entered culinary school, so I've been a lawyer, and I've been a $6 per hour restaurant cook. There's no shame in working. Just do your job, keep your nose clean and support your family. Mr. Owens has earned my respect.

Most people would consider leaving lawyering for cooking, construction, truck driving, cleaning the stalls at an adult book store a step up in life.

Offline mountaineer

Most people would consider leaving lawyering for cooking, construction, truck driving, cleaning the stalls at an adult book store a step up in life.
I would gladly do all but the last. No adult book stores, no way, no how.

Offline musiclady

Good for Geoffrey!!

I hope he gets all that yummy Trader Joe's food at a discount!

Their Maple Cookies are to die for!  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

One thing about Frank, he never sets his sights too low.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Amen, @mountaineer.   

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_wiXgRWrIU

If that dress suit was any shorter, she would be wearing a tee-shirt.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:39:59 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

Now you are job shaming.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I did retail for 13 years. It was honorable work, despite what today's generation thinks.

If retailers didn't pay garbage wages and insist on crazy shifts all the time, I might have stayed in it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024