Author Topic: 5 types of military suck that everyone loves to hate  (Read 449 times)

rangerrebew

5 types of military suck that everyone loves to hate
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:45:44 am »

5 types of military suck that everyone loves to hate

Life in the military isn't easy and it isn't for everyone. It's a place where, if you have a problem, you're most likely to get told by a salty, senior NCO to "suck it up, buttercup" while whatever problem you had is kinda just brushed under the rug.

Now, don't get this twisted: The military was one of the best things to happen in my life and the lives of many others. But there are plenty of things that seemed like minor inconveniences while in the service that would make heads roll in the civilian world. Everyone agrees that the following are objectively bad things, but they're almost always met with a casual, "meh. It happens."

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-culture/military-things-love-to-hate?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3

Offline endicom

Re: 5 types of military suck that everyone loves to hate
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:14:53 pm »

Anything you hate is "good training."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:01:49 pm »
No wonder veterans tend to do well in the oil patch. They've seen it all before, no one is shooting at you, and the pay is better....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:33 pm »
You are never, ever really dry or clean.

And....

What's that smell?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 02:52:41 pm »
I'd add what we used to call the "pucker factor".  When there is some important event at which attendance is required, everyone wants you there early to ensure there are no stragglers.  The problem comes when each subordinate level of command demands you be there early to meet the "be there early" demands of the next step up the chain.  So say the Regimental Commander wants everyone ready to roll in the afternoon, but wants to ensure everyone eats.  So, he sets formation for 1300, after lunch.  Battalion wants everyone there at 1245 to make sure nobody is late for regimental formation.  Then the company commanders set formation time for 1230, because they don't want to piss off the Battalion CO, the platoon commanders/sergeants want their people there at 1215. 

So now, you have people showing up at 1215 for a 1300 formation, and everyone misses lunch.

Good times!  Especially if the weather sucks....

I once saw that happen at a Change of Command/promotion ceremony for a colonel getting his first star.  He happened to be an egotistical pr*ck, and demanded everyone show up on the parade deck in full combat gear.  On blacktop, in the middle of July, on a day when we hit black flag heat conditions before 1100.  He then rambled on and on in his speech, as Marines who had been standing on that blacktop for over an hour started dropping like flies.

Al Gray, The Commandant of the Marine Corps, had come down personally from Washington to pin the stars on this guy.  So after the still-colonel finally finished rambling, and introduced General Gray, the Commandant walks up to the microphone and says "It is too bleep hot for any more of this bullshit.  Dismissed."  He refused to speak to the colonel, who had to pin the stars on himself.

Needless to say, that newly-minted General never got his second star....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:01:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »