Author Topic: How Social Justice Killed the Golden Age of Television  (Read 3942 times)

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
How Social Justice Killed the Golden Age of Television
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:39:39 pm »
from www.americanaprime.com

#How Social Justice Killed the Golden Age of Television

Here is a fun experiment you should do sometime: rewatch some of your favorite shows from years ago and apply to them today’s standards and sensibilities. What you will find is that you will be shocked at how far over today’s social justice line many of those shows were, especially those in the period that I define as the Golden Age of Television. We’ve seen incredible TV shows in many different generations, going back to I Love Lucy and Bewitched through the Simpsons and Seinfeld, and up to the more recent era of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. So what then would be the Golden Age, and how do you define it?

First, one should define the Golden Age of TV as a time when creativity peaked, and writers were free to see their visions come alive on screen, without any shackles; where the quality was overwhelmingly high across multiple shows, genres, and channels. I am aware there are those who ascribe that term to the 1950’s and a second in the late 90’s. I define the beginning of the Golden Age as January 10, 1999, with the pilot of the Sopranos. The Sopranos ushered in a new era of TV, with a nearly unheard of levels of critical acclaim, and brought about the ability for studios to take the gloves off writers to tell more engaging stories. For the first time, television could meet and in many cases exceed the storytelling of movies. The HBO triple threat of Sopranos, The Wire, and OZ, all firing in succession, showed what was possible with modern dramas. In a rush to capitalize on this newfound freedom and chasing HBO to the awards and ratings line, virtually every studio went all in on hardcore dramas. In addition to the quality being churned out yearly by HBO, two of my favorite series of all time premiered within a year of one another: The Shield in 2002 and Battlestar Galactica in 2003.

From approximately 1999 to 2015, television was scintillating virtually every week. My DVR was packed during that time with unbelievably high-quality tv in both the drama and comedy realms. From FX hitting home run after home run in the Shield, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, Sons of Anarchy, and more to HBO continuing their legacy of greatness, and the emergence of Netflix and Amazon, this span of time included the highest density of greatness ever seen on television. All good things come to an end, and as time went on, I started to notice my DVR wasn’t quite as full as it used to be. Everything from drama to stand up comedy seemed to be reduced dramatically in the quality and quantity I had become accustomed to having. Don’t get me wrong; there are still great shows out there, but not to the level that we had in the Golden Age. Recently, I rewatched my favorite series, Battlestar Galactica, and I think I’ve figured out where the Golden Age went.

Social Justice killed it.

In rewatching BSG and thinking back to that era, I had forgotten how far shows were willing to go to tell a story, and networks were quite willing to run storylines you couldn’t possibly get away with in the modern era. Even innocuous shows like the Office likely would never get made in today's climate of oppressive social justice without severe alterations. The Shield, which I believe to be the best police show ever created, would have ZERO chance of being green-lit in 2018. The reason for all of this?

Writer’s handcuffs and the boycott outrage machine.

In writing my own novel, I’ve done a tremendous amount of research on the do’s and don’ts of writing fiction. Read any number of recent articles entitled “10 Mistakes Writers Make,” and you will be presented with a litany of things you should not write about or characters you shouldn’t have. A great example of this is YouTuber/Writer Jenna Moreci, who has a massive hit channel on YouTube with many videos telling you what the “rules” are for writing, with a distinctly left-wing bent. After watching about 10 of these types of videos, I came to the conclusion that modern writers are shackled to an incredibly lengthy list of handcuffs, to stay on the pleasant side the social justice warrior crowd. For example, it used to be that representation was one of the most significant problems, as people wanted to see more diverse casting decisions. Once that came to fruition, then it became about dictating how those people were written. Keep in mind, no one has a problem with the representation of minorities, but that is no longer enough, now they have to be portrayed exactly a certain way to conform to these rigid guidelines.

Let me give an example, featuring the show I consider to be “Patient Zero” in the new era of social justice TV: Quantico. Back in 2016, the writers for this show came out and stated explicitly that they would never have a Muslim terrorist on the show, becoming one of the first times that writers publicly took certain types of characterizations off the table. Fast forward to 2018, ABC and the show’s writers were forced to issue a public apology for a storyline involving Indian Nationalists framing Pakistanis for a terrorist act. Think of it: one of the most politically correct shows on television, featuring an Indian lead, still got crushed for veering off the social justice highway even for a moment. It turns out that doing so much restricting of your characters and storytelling doesn’t make for particularly compelling TV, as Quantico was canceled after three seasons.

There’s another elephant in the room: the complete lack of black or minority villains. Shabazz Malikali wrote an excellent article on this over two years ago that remains true: Hollywood is petrified of making black villains. Go ahead and google the phrase “black villain on tv” and you get a grand total of nothing. Outside of the all black properties like Luke Cage or Empire, there are zero black villains on any mainstream TV show. The problem used to be representation, as in there aren’t enough black people on TV, now the problem is that all black characters have to be portrayed as comically overpowered in every situation, giving them no actual arcs, depth, or flaws. Also, one can go right down the line of every ethnicity, gender, or orientation and find the same. Essentially, 99% of the time your villain has to be miscellaneous rich white guy number 424, relegating minorities to playing superhuman caricatures of real people.

To sum up: the rules that were created with good intentions have spiraled out of control, stifling creative expression across all forms of media. Books, TV, and to a lesser extent, movies have all become artistically subverted to a fascistic left-wing orthodoxy that demands rigid adherence to the rules; thus creating a stale environment where every show has to follow a long list of guidelines in order to ever get produced. Since every show is working from the same social justice guidelines, it stands to reason they would share many of the same characteristics, inducing boredom with everyone competing to see how woke they can be. Maybe it’s possible that the Trump era killed TV, as he scared liberals so drastically that they figured maybe they needed to crack down further on the culture; making sure to pound home their message in a more blatant manner. Whatever the reason, it is highly likely we will be seeing average TV for the foreseeable future.

Steve
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline dfwgator

Re: How Social Justice Killed the Golden Age of Television
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 02:42:45 pm »
Leftists have pretty much ruined all forms of entertainment, including sports.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 02:46:37 pm »
When Jonathan Quail Higgins becomes Juliet Higgens you know they've gone too far.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »
LOL! This is funny. I have no idea what any of those shows are about... Don't know any, except the Shield, which I might have seen a few episodes of.

I am so happy I unplugged from all that crap.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:28:30 pm »
More and more when I watch TV, I feel like going "Elvis" on my TV.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:38:06 pm »
Cable company called and offered me free cable for 3 months if I will only let them come hook it up...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh hell no.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 02:31:51 am »
Everybody has their own ideas about a "Golden Age" for tv.  Much of it depends on how old you are. Just like music and movies people will most likely claim their own era of coming of age as the best.
There have been some pretty good tv shows in the past twenty years. The wife and I liked "The Sopranos" and think "Breaking Bad" is the best program we've ever seen. There have been a few other series we've liked like the "CSI" series with William Peterson and Gary Sinise.
I liked "Justified" with Tim Olyphant, "Ray Donovan,"  and we liked "Dexter" even though I though the character of Dexter's sister played by Jennifer Carpenter was the single most irritating/obnoxious tv character I've ever watched. Nobody is that foul mouthed. Which seems to be a huge problem with many cable tv characters. Many of them are foul-mouthed louts or loutettes. I've got some friends who are not too shy about using certain words, but even they weren't as promiscuously foul-mouthed as today's tv characters.
But look at the overall amount of shows and the pct. of dreck. There is far more quantity than quality.
Even during my youth there were more garbage shows than good shows. But there was usually something on every night worth watching. Even the PBS had good shows on most nights. Now even PBS has only a few shows worth watching.
That's long passed. Now the wife and I are down "Better Call Saul" as far as shows we look forward to. There were a few other ones, but all on cable.
There are virtually no shows on network tv that we watch. "CSI Las Vegas" was the last one we watched.
So while there are good shows here and there, for the most part modern tv is awful.
I don't know if younger viewers realize exactly how p.c. most tv shows are today. That goes for movies as well.
I guess I'm just an old fogey, but most tv shows I like to watch are westerns that I wasn't able to see when I was younger because for a number of years we only got one or two channels.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:33:32 am by goatprairie »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 07:05:19 pm »
LOL! This is funny. I have no idea what any of those shows are about... Don't know any, except the Shield, which I might have seen a few episodes of.

Trying to figure out why you are commenting on a thread you have no interest in.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 07:10:07 pm »
Trying to figure out why you are commenting on a thread you have no interest in.

Keep trying... You'll get it...
Get out your crayons and draw some pictures...

:thumbsup:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 03:10:37 am »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 04:49:21 am »

Because the thread is about how uninteresting TV is?  Sounds on topic to me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 05:50:47 am »
There have been some pretty good tv shows in the past twenty years. The wife and I liked "The Sopranos" and think "Breaking Bad" is the best program we've ever seen. There have been a few other series we've liked like the "CSI" series with William Peterson and Gary Sinise.

I went to a Lt Dan Band concert.  It was hours after Sinise learned that his show had been cancelled, and included his first public comments.  He thanked the network for the money they had paid him over the years which helped in his efforts to support the troops.  That was pretty much it.  Guy's a class act in my book.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 11:16:55 am »
@AmericanaPrime

Good article, went to your website, looked around, read some more, watched your videos on macs, which were great, subscribed, will watch more when I have more time.

Use to write for a reality tv website back at the start of the millennium. Totally agree with you on TV, but there are some hidden gems on Netflix and amazon prime.

Anyway, just wanted to say...good work. And welcome here, it’s a nice place.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 01:07:26 pm »
I noticed the same thing just on my own. So many times I will watch a tv show or movie and they are depicting gang criminals or street thugs which are obviously supposed to be Blacks or Latinos and yet all the actors portraying these characters are White guys. OK. You can use White actors if you want to, but we all still know what you are talking about. You're not fooling anybody.

The same with so many movies about terrorists and terrorism. We know they are depicting Muslims, and yet they won't say it. All the actors are White guys and the organization is some White extremist group. Yea Right. Like there are so many of those around the world killing random people on the street.

Hollywood can portray their own little fantasy world of White=bad Ethnic=good if they want to, but they are not fooling us. We know what they are talking about regardless of how many White people they shoehorn into roles for which they do not fit.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 01:12:33 pm »
I started losing interest when Dick Wolf's various "Law and Order" shows started defining "evil" as Christian, anti-abortion, military veteran or large corporation, and "good" as Muslim, welfare crackhead mother or persecuted homosexual.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 01:42:59 pm »
@AmericanaPrime

Good article, went to your website, looked around, read some more, watched your videos on macs, which were great, subscribed, will watch more when I have more time.

Use to write for a reality tv website back at the start of the millennium. Totally agree with you on TV, but there are some hidden gems on Netflix and amazon prime.

Anyway, just wanted to say...good work. And welcome here, it’s a nice place.

Thank you for the kind words!
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »
I started losing interest when Dick Wolf's various "Law and Order" shows started defining "evil" as Christian, anti-abortion, military veteran or large corporation, and "good" as Muslim, welfare crackhead mother or persecuted homosexual.

@mountaineer I kinda lost it when Lenny Briscoe died. But I still believe it’s better than a lot of dreck on tv now.

I like the astronomy shows on the science channel. And the baby animals on animal planet when I’m bored, or sick or sad, because how can puppies and kittens not make you happy, even if the show is aimed at small children ?

And I’ll watch a cooking show if it’s a chef that’s really going to show you how to cook something.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 01:53:43 pm »
Thank you for the kind words!

You’re welcome!
I see you’re into Macs-supposedly new watch is getting a complete makeover and new computers and phones to be unveiled in two weeks

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 02:17:22 pm »
I remember watching an episode of NCIS with Mark Harmon. The episode concerned a terrorist bombing supposedly committed by an Islamist terrorist group. 
When one of the characters said something about the bombing certainly being committed by Islamic terrorists, Harmon's character remarked about all those bombings of abortion clinics by Christian fundamentalists.
That was it for me.  I couldn't watch another episode despite the wife liking the show.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 02:40:33 pm »

I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy watching STARZEncore Westerns.

Cheyenne, Wagon Train...

Sometimes I laugh when Cheyenne is alone with a beautiful woman with his shirt off, and he's still calling her ma'm.

Today, she'd jump on him in a New York Minute.  Clint Walker??  R U kidding me?

Back then, he excuse himself and stop and pet the dog on the way out.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 02:55:11 pm »
Because the thread is about how uninteresting TV is?  Sounds on topic to me.

Hmmm...okay.   

Thought it was about how current social mores has affected plot lines and sexual roles in entertainment...hell, society.

@goatprairie has a good take here.

At 72, I have a completely different 'library' from which to choose than a person half my age.

Joel McCrae and Audie Murphy babysat me when I was growing up.   Not Grand Theft Auto or Madden 2018.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 03:14:51 pm »
I liked Lenny, too, @Freya !

We generally watch nature shows or history documentaries (filtering out the political propaganda inherent in both, e.g., "climate change" nonsense). Oh yes, and Dr. Pol. It's so nice to see small town and rural America portrayed positively.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

@AmericanaPrime

Bugs was the greatest comic ever  and Mel Blanc was a genius.

Bullwinkle was second, imho

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 04:14:00 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

@AmericanaPrime

Bugs was the greatest comic ever  and Mel Blanc was a genius.

Bullwinkle was second, imho

:thumbsup:
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com