Author Topic: 'It's not right': Shoppers angry over Walmart charging more for plus-size clothing  (Read 2988 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

'It's not right': Shoppers angry over Walmart charging more for plus-size clothing
CBC/Canada, Aug 25, 2018, Sophie Harris

Walmart Canada is facing criticism for charging more for plus-size clothing, a policy some shoppers consider an unjust "fat tax." 

"It's unacceptable," said Walmart shopper Shannon Mozak, of Edmonton, who sometimes buys plus sizes. "It's a form of shaming people."

Walmart and some other retailers mark up their plus-size clothing with the justification that bigger sizes cost more to produce.

They also charge a single lower price for a wide range of standard sizes — from extra small to extra large — leading many plus-size shoppers to question why only they must pay more.

"It's not right," said Michaela duChêne, who wasn't aware she was paying more for Walmart's plus sizes until an in-store sales sign revealed a price difference.

More:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/walmart-plus-size-clothing-price-1.4796192

Silver Pines

Plus size uses more material, doesn't it?  What do they want, fat people fabric reparations?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have to pay more for tall clothes.   :shrug:

Offline corbe

Don't skinny people have rights too?   :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

When I used to sew my own clothes, it cost me more to make a big flowing skirt, then a slim pencil skirt.  Just the facts.  Bigger sizes cost more to make. Easy to figure out. lol.

I had to buy more yardage of the cloth, to make that gathered skirt.  So people are upset they are fat? Lose weigh and then buy the smaller size.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Plus size uses more material, doesn't it?  What do they want, fat people fabric reparations?

It isn't just material. 4x will have a smaller market than SML, so smaller quantities will be made and ordered so the overhead, especially for automated processes, is greater.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Omar always charges by the tent size.  I don't see a problem.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
This is silly. More fabric more cost.

Welcome to idiocracy.

Mike Judge really had people pegged.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

It isn't just material. 4x will have a smaller market than SML, so smaller quantities will be made and ordered so the overhead, especially for automated processes, is greater.

@AbaraXas

You would be surprised.  An employee in a department store told me to grab whatever I thought I liked in a size small and bring it back later, because the smalls and mediums are being squeezed out by the "x" sizes.  People are getting bigger.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@AbaraXas

You would be surprised.  An employee in a department store told me to grab whatever I thought I liked in a size small and bring it back later, because the smalls and mediums are being squeezed out by the "x" sizes.  People are getting bigger.

More people are fatter than at any time before in the history of the United States..  Which is a good thing.  All those years of average live expectancy returning to 1940 levels.  That will make Social Security solvent longer.  Eat Drink and be buried young.

Offline dfwgator

They can always go to Thornton Melon's Tall & Fat Stores

! No longer available

Online mountaineer

Exactly. And if you dare point that out, you'll get accused of "fat shaming," a phrase that should be removed from the English language.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Being I am about 6'4" tall (over 22olbs now), I often get the 2x sizes and it costs on average a lot less than my much smaller wife.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline dfwgator

It's not fair I have to pay $50 to fill up my SUV, when somebody with a Honda Civic only has to pay $30 to fill up theirs'.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@AbaraXas

Yet airplane seats keep shrinking...they keep shrinking them down. Weird.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
@AbaraXas

I have noticed anything in a small size is starting to disappear from store shelves. Dollar General doesn't even carry most apparel in that size; their smallest size is medium now.

Then again, most of the items I've seen on a clearance rack are usually size small, so I can see why they decided to cut back. (Being of slim build has its benefits... for now anyway.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What I want to know is why small people, skinny, short , whatever aren't bitching because so often their clothes coat as much as the ones for larger people. Do you ever wonder when you shop for children and it costs as much as for an adult?

Offline corbe

I knew the cacomorphobia would be strong with this one.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

Omar always charges by the tent size.  I don't see a problem.

This thread is crying out for Al Bundy

! No longer available

Silver Pines

Exactly. And if you dare point that out, you'll get accused of "fat shaming," a phrase that should be removed from the English language.

@mountaineer

I'm sure I read somewhere about a woman throwing a fit about fat-shaming after her doctor told her she needed to lose weight.

Silver Pines

I have noticed anything in a small size is starting to disappear from store shelves. Dollar General doesn't even carry most apparel in that size; their smallest size is medium now.

Then again, most of the items I've seen on a clearance rack are usually size small, so I can see why they decided to cut back. (Being of slim build has its benefits... for now anyway.)

@jmyrlefuller

I better start looking at clearance racks, lol.

Silver Pines

Online mountaineer

I'm sure I read somewhere about a woman throwing a fit about fat-shaming after her doctor told her she needed to lose weight.
She should have met my mother,  who once said in passing I was "firmly packed." I put myself on a diet and fitness regimen the next day.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline corbe

Just 'more' of yall to Love.
   There's a lot to remain unsaid for the pleasures of the pleasantly plump.

Offline Wingnut

She should have met my mother,  who once said in passing I was "firmly packed." I put myself on a diet and fitness regimen the next day.

If you had been a boy you would have shopped in the "Husky" department at Sears or Jacques Penne.