Author Topic: Opinion Requested  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Suppressed

Opinion Requested
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:24:17 pm »
I asked Alexa (connected to Amazon Music) to play "ethereal music".  She came back with "Ambient Music" playlist.

Most of it is fine, but then there are some odd ones.  I don't know a lot about music, and I don't know the definition of "Ambient".  Am I wrong for thinking the following doesn't belong on that playlist?

! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Opinion Requested
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
Great Caesar's ghost!  WTF was that, and did it jolt you awake?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:04:13 pm »
"Ambient music" is a kind of audible fog. "Ethereal" music is atmospheric, in that it centers on a steady or pulsing tone, but frequently contains elements of more traditional music (including lyrics and instrumentation). The Beatles album Magical Mystery Tour was built around this concept. And also, a lot of marijuana.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:43:06 pm »
"Ambient music" is a kind of audible fog. "Ethereal" music is atmospheric, in that it centers on a steady or pulsing tone, but frequently contains elements of more traditional music (including lyrics and instrumentation). The Beatles album Magical Mystery Tour was built around this concept. And also, a lot of marijuana.

I don't know if there is enough weed in the world.  Did you hear that link?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »

That was the collective sound of every progressives wail the night Trump won the election.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:08:33 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:19:17 pm »

Doesn't Inya music fall into that category?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:22:01 pm »
If it ain't Yacht Rock my Alexa don't play it.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:38 pm »
"Ambient music"  "Ethereal music" "Inya music"?  It is all bourgeois bullshit.  There are only two kinds of music.  Country music and Western music.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:29:44 pm »

That's EXACTLY what it did!   9999hair out0000

I should just gone for 10 hours of Eventide! @Hopalong Ginsberg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:10:08 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:18:03 am »
I asked Alexa (connected to Amazon Music) to play "ethereal music".  She came back with "Ambient Music" playlist.

Most of it is fine, but then there are some odd ones.  I don't know a lot about music, and I don't know the definition of "Ambient".  Am I wrong for thinking the following doesn't belong on that playlist?

! No longer available

Now That's funny, but actually does fit the category.

The term Ambient for music is generally conceded to trace back to Robert Fripp and Brian Eno in the 70s.

Wind on Water, from their 2nd album.

! No longer available

However, today it's become a catch all for music often without chord changes, or much structure at all, just Drone on over one constant pedal tone/bass note, and Noodle/Snooze.

It's now a way for people who know almost Nothing about music at all to define themselves as musicians, like your example.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:25:32 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com