Author Topic: Will We Ever Stop Using Rockets to Get to Space?  (Read 2112 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Will We Ever Stop Using Rockets to Get to Space?
« on: August 20, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »
Space.com By Ross Pomeroy 8/19/2018

On March 16, 1926 in Auburn, Massachusetts, American engineer Robert Goddard launched the first liquid-fueled rocket. The flight lasted a mere 2.5 seconds and ended anticlimactically 181 feet away in a snow-covered cabbage field, but it would prove to be one of the most significant flights in history.

Ninety-two years later, liquid-fueled rockets are the norm for spaceflight. Towering, explosive behemoths standing sixty times taller than Goddard's original rocket blast humans beyond the boundaries of Earth's atmosphere. Each launch is a true spectacle, offering testament again and again to humankind's collective potential to transcend barriers and reach new heights through brains and cooperation.

But will rockets remain our primary transportation to space into the far flung future? Or will they eventually be replaced by new methods and technologies?

Rockets, after all, are far from perfect. Fourteen astronauts have died during launches. By chemical engineer Don Pettit's calculation, "sitting on top of a rocket is more dangerous than sitting on a bottle of gasoline!" He ought to know, he's done it a few times. Pettit has flown five missions to the International Space Station and has tallied 369 days, 16 hours, and 41 minutes in space. At age 62, he's NASA's oldest active astronaut.

High costs are also an unfortunate drawback of rocket launches. Since roughly 85 percent of a rocket's mass must be taken up by propellant, there's little room left for cargo. That makes booking a ticket to space exceedingly expensive – around $10,000 per kilogram to reach low-Earth orbit.

More: https://www.space.com/41432-will-we-ever-stop-using-rockets-to-reach-space.html

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Will We Ever Stop Using Rockets to Get to Space?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:21:54 pm »
Not until there is a materials breakthrough that allows an elevator to be built

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 04:57:49 pm »
Not until there is a materials breakthrough that allows an elevator to be built

AND a breakthrough to prevent terrorism against such a vulnerable target (especially for its presumed location).
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:41:24 am »
AND a breakthrough to prevent terrorism against such a vulnerable target (especially for its presumed location).

:thumbsup:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 11:51:58 am »
There are many who believe that we have aircraft which can achieve orbit now. They are not being made public.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 12:39:21 pm »
There are many who believe that we have aircraft which can achieve orbit now. They are not being made public.

British aerospace firm Reaction Engines Limited (REL) is working on an aircraft that will be able to transport passengers anywhere in the world in just four hours, while also being able to reach outer space.

https://futurism.com/skylon-plane-can-fly-anywhere-world-4-hours/

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:19 pm »

Doesn't an aircraft require air?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 03:40:06 pm »
Doesn't an aircraft require air?

Thrusters/Boosters I don't know the details of it, and if I did I couldn't discuss it anyway.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 04:53:48 pm »

Probabky the same folks who tout 100 mpg carbureurators, Mystical pyramids, crystals, and magnetic water softeners.....

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 05:07:00 pm »
The Skylon is powered by a new kind of engine known as a SABRE. The company is already testing the engine system and is planning the first test flights for 2019. REL asserts that this engine will be capable of operating as a jet engine and a rocket engine. Amazingly, it will have the ability to power an aircraft at up to five times the speed of sound within the atmosphere, or it could send a craft directly into Earth’s orbit at 25 times the speed of sound.

A number of tests (more than 700, thus far, including experiments that analyze the structural integrity and aerodynamic stability) have so far proven successful. If things continue to unfold as planned, David Willetts, the United Kingdom’s Minister for Universities and Science, believes that this design will completely alter the way that we travel and the way that we get to space.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »
I'll believe when I see it in action. The Brits have been taking about Skylon for at least 20 years but wanted someone else to fund the research.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 04:32:52 am »
If you go to a Grateful Dead concert you can get to space....without a rocket.

Just kidding.
(I’m in a silly mood it’s past my bedtime)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 04:37:49 am »
I can't imagine a spaceship not being propelled with rockets to get into space. A space-to-space spacecraft, such as launching from the ISS, an asteroid or other low gravity situation could do it without rockets. These new sunbeam accelerated craft could travel using the pressure of sunlight and lasers but outside of science-fiction I am not aware of anything that could launch a craft into space without rocket fire.
I won't accept.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 01:20:35 pm »
I can't imagine a spaceship not being propelled with rockets to get into space. A space-to-space spacecraft, such as launching from the ISS, an asteroid or other low gravity situation could do it without rockets. These new sunbeam accelerated craft could travel using the pressure of sunlight and lasers but outside of science-fiction I am not aware of anything that could launch a craft into space without rocket fire.

The trouble with solar sails is that the acceleration is so slow that the crew would die from radiation poisoning in the Van Allen Belts. The only practical way to use a sail is to have a bigass laser to shoot at it so you can get some decent acceleration.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »
Thrusters/Boosters I don't know the details of it, and if I did I couldn't discuss it anyway.

Which is still, essentially, a rocket:  something that uses exothermic chemical reactions to expel a lot of mass in one direction in order to push the vehicle in the opposite direction.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:24:59 am »
Project Orion
https://www.webcitation.org/5uzTHJfF7?url=http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD%3DADA306631%26Location%3DU2%26doc%3DGetTRDoc.pdf

Now Orion is another beast entirely, and is workable with technology we have now. No need for a anything new to be developed.

Online rustynail

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 12:41:03 am »
Build a road.