Author Topic: The Shame of the Church  (Read 793 times)

Offline endicom

The Shame of the Church
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:10 pm »
American Greatness
Michael Walsh
Aug. 15, 2018

The release yesterday of a state grand jury report on the widespread sexual abuse of minors by priests in six Pennsylvania dioceses only serves to confirm—as if further confirmation were necessary—that there is a deep moral rot in the heart of the Roman Catholic Church, and one that will not be easily eradicated.

“We, the members of this grand jury, need you to hear this. We know some of you have heard some of it before. There have been other reports about child sex abuse within the Catholic Church. But never on this scale. For many of us, those earlier stories happened someplace else, someplace away. Now we know the truth: it happened everywhere.” 

Even in a faith founded upon the notion that there is no such thing as an unforgivable sin, should the penitent be sincere, what has been occurring in the church over the past 70 years or so would surely test the mercy of Christ himself.

More... https://amgreatness.com/2018/08/15/the-shame-of-the-church/

Offline Victoria33

Re: The Shame of the Church
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:40:43 pm »
"...that there is a deep moral rot in the heart of the Roman Catholic Church, and one that will not be easily eradicated."

This happened in Pennsylvania - not every Catholic Church in the world - don't paint every Catholic Church/Priest as the one in Penn.  I go to a Catholic church, fine chuch, Priest who graduated from Texas A&M and was a sharp shooter in the US Marines.  Fine church.  Also, Priests do not determine what I or others believe.  We believe in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  Priests are human and screw up just like ministers in other churches screw up.  Popes in the past have also screwed up - they are all human - not God.

This Grand Jury report goes back for 70 years.  I read some of the report and it includes Priests, Clergy, and school teachers.  If any are alive now, within the time limitation of the deeds, they need to be arrested and tried in court.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:19:26 pm »
"...that there is a deep moral rot in the heart of the Roman Catholic Church, and one that will not be easily eradicated."

This happened in Pennsylvania - not every Catholic Church in the world - don't paint every Catholic Church/Priest as the one in Penn.  I go to a Catholic church, fine chuch, Priest who graduated from Texas A&M and was a sharp shooter in the US Marines.  Fine church.  Also, Priests do not determine what I or others believe.  We believe in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  Priests are human and screw up just like ministers in other churches screw up.  Popes in the past have also screwed up - they are all human - not God.

This Grand Jury report goes back for 70 years.  I read some of the report and it includes Priests, Clergy, and school teachers.  If any are alive now, within the time limitation of the deeds, they need to be arrested and tried in court.

We've learned a lot these past few decades. Learned what few of us wished to know. Learned that people in professions involving youth would include too many sexually attracted to youth. And that there are more such people than we imagined. Sad but true.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:24:05 pm »
Over at the forums at Catholic.com, someone said the percentage of priests involved in this represents 4.06% or so of all priests for that area for the time period. The thing is, is that when a church, diocese, archdiocese is sued, it can be for millions over one single individual. . They also just came off having a big problem in the country of Chile and Australia too.  Those are separate stories I have not read heavily on.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:24:51 pm by TomSea »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:09 pm »
Over at the forums at Catholic.com, someone said the percentage of priests involved in this represents 4.06% or so of all priests for that area for the time period. The thing is, is that when a church, diocese, archdiocese is sued, it can be for millions over one single individual. . They also just came off having a big problem in the country of Chile and Australia too.  Those are separate stories I have not read heavily on.

I, too, have also read that this is not a unique problem for the church in America, but worldwide.