Author Topic: Beto O'Rourke is covering 250 miles a day to win over rural Texans. Is he winning or just wasting ti  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle By Kevin Diaz 8/12/2018

EL PASO — Beto O'Rourke likes to tell the story of a campaign stop in Archer City, a highway junction of about 1,750 souls on the north central plains that was portrayed as a dying Texas town in "The Last Picture Show."

On his way to a town hall at Murn's Cafe, O'Rourke says a local approached him with a picture of his dad posing with Lyndon Johnson in 1948. As far as anyone could recall, LBJ's stop — he landed in a helicopter in front of the courthouse — was the last time a Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate had campaigned there.

O'Rourke's visit came during a sweep of all 254 counties in Texas over the past year. Many of the miles were clocked in a white Dodge Grand Caravan. It was a trip that would have been easy to dismiss as a one-time campaign stunt. But this month, he was back in rural West Texas as he launched a 34-day road trip across the state.

It's a new playbook, born of Democratic futility in Texas.

The first three days of O'Rourke's journey took him 765 zig-zagging miles — from a friendly, Latin-flavored send-off in downtown El Paso to sparsely-attended stops in gun-friendly Republican strongholds like Muleshoe, in Bailey County, where he would get quizzed by skeptical locals about the Second Amendment.

The time and effort the El Paso congressman is investing in small-town Texas has become a hallmark of his small-dollar, no-PAC campaign to unseat incumbent GOP Sen. Ted Cruz, a former presidential candidate and conservative icon who won the state by 16 points in 2012.

It also represents a quantum shift in Democratic strategy in the Lone Star State, which has always relied on running up the numbers in the large urban enclaves of Austin, Houston and San Antonio. The desolate cow towns that dot the state's vast expanses make wonderful backdrops for homey political campaigns, but the resources O'Rourke is throwing at his statewide strategy suggest that it's about more than creating a Norman Rockwell tableau.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Beto-O-Rourke-has-chance-of-beating-Ted-Cruz-13141321.php

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Beatoff is wasting gas and time coming to rural areas. He should stick to the big cities where they love and understand corruption.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline thackney

Archer County went 88% for Trump in 2016.

https://elections.sos.state.tx.us/elchist319_race62.htm

They voted 83% for Cruz in 2012.

https://elections.sos.state.tx.us/elchist164_race832.htm

In the 2016 Republican Primary for President, they were 49% for Cruz and 29% for Trump.

https://elections.sos.state.tx.us/elchist273_race62.htm

In 2016 Democrat Primary for President, they had 161 voters show up, compared to 2,470 in the Republican.

https://elections.sos.state.tx.us/elchist233_race62.htm

Good Luck with that.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
800 people came to see him last night. When Cruz came to town, according to local reports, 150 people showed up.

A lot of this it seems, is how the media built it up. I found 3 articles announcing Francis's visit before it happened. The local rag didn't report on Cruz's visit until after the fact.

Political demographic wise, it should still be an easy win for Cruz, but he still should fight like he is 20 points down. Take nothing for granted. These Whataburger jokes are backfiring. Even Whataburger tweeted a mockery of it.

Offline corbe

Archer City is what Larry McMurtry based his epic 'The Last Picture Show' on.  20 years ago when I was there I observed that it is still a depressing little town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Picture_Show
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GrouchoTex

800 people came to see him last night. When Cruz came to town, according to local reports, 150 people showed up.

A lot of this it seems, is how the media built it up. I found 3 articles announcing Francis's visit before it happened. The local rag didn't report on Cruz's visit until after the fact.

Political demographic wise, it should still be an easy win for Cruz, but he still should fight like he is 20 points down. Take nothing for granted. These Whataburger jokes are backfiring. Even Whataburger tweeted a mockery of it.

I'm seeing the same thing.
I am hearing a lot about Cruz visiting several towns, but only after the fact.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm seeing the same thing.
I am hearing a lot about Cruz visiting several towns, but only after the fact.

Same here.

Offline ABX

Same here.

Reports of 750-1000 in Tyler today. (I'm actually surprised who all I know who I see go and cheer for him, people I never thought would support a Democrat- they are caught up in the pop culture game).

The last time I found that Cruz was in Tyler, he visited a group of 25 doctors.

Take nothing for granted, fight like you are 20 points down because if you don't your opponent will.

Offline ABX

Some quotes on Facebook by friends and associates I know from yesterday and today's events. (names redacted).

This one is from a lady who owns a large real-estate agency who I thought was a Trumper. (she may have been, about pop culture, not party)
Pumped about BETO! Standing room only! More than 800 cheering him on. Proud my daughter Hope and couple of her buds decided to see what Beto is all about. Go next generation!

Small business owner:
Took my and my ex-hubs recycling to Gladewater yesterday. If course I was wearing my Beto for Texas T. Made sure everyone there was registered to vote and invited them all to come see Beto today!
Also from her
Republicans, voting for Beto is the first step to erasing the hatred running rampant in this beautiful country.

Attorney and multiple business owner (and very right leaning usually):
Beto is in Longview today. Normally I wouldn’t go see him, but Sen. Cruz makes him sound totally awesome. Mr. Senator, I know you’re not from here, but you realize we ❤️ #whataburger, right?

Retired business owner:
Beto brought the house down today at the Summit Club In Longview. Standing room only , over 800 people! Beto really gave a powerful message today regarding teachers & his plan to increase their pay & lower their insurance costs!

Salon owner (only about 20 years old):
Beto was great! I even got to personally ask him a question pertaining to my first amendment rights.

I've been seeing this stuff all yesterday and today from people I never would have suspected would support him. Either business owners, some who lean Conservative (and past Republicans) and young people who usually wouldn't even be involved.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Remember when the vocal "majority" said Hillary was a shoe in?

Yeah... hold that thought Paddy O'Furnature supporters. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

Remember when the vocal "majority" said Hillary was a shoe in?

Yeah... hold that thought Paddy O'Furnature supporters.

The point is not to be complacent. If you go in with the attitude it is a 'shoe in', and so does your neighbor, and so does their neighbor, and so on, pretty soon, enough could decide it is no big deal if they don't go to vote or just sit at home instead of volunteer.

Right now, there is a big vacancy in Republican volunteers throughout the State. People just aren't showing up to work, to man phones, to put out signs. They think it isn't a battle they have to fight for.

Complacency kills.

Offline Idiot

The point is not to be complacent. If you go in with the attitude it is a 'shoe in', and so does your neighbor, and so does their neighbor, and so on, pretty soon, enough could decide it is no big deal if they don't go to vote or just sit at home instead of volunteer.

Right now, there is a big vacancy in Republican volunteers throughout the State. People just aren't showing up to work, to man phones, to put out signs. They think it isn't a battle they have to fight for.

Complacency kills.

Sen. Cruz was here last week.  He just doesn't come across well as a speaker.  I love his stances on issues....but no charisma at all.

Offline ABX

Sen. Cruz was here last week.  He just doesn't come across well as a speaker.  I love his stances on issues....but no charisma at all.

That's sad because he can be an absolute brilliant speaker. Especially when he is off the cuff.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I really don't understand when people say that.  I've heard him a number of times and he's a great speaker.  Did you go to the event?

But, he does not come across well on TV.  Not sure why, but he frequently doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:07:20 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What's he talking about on the campaign trail?  What are Cruz's top three "to do" items?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
"Most candidates run on a list of issues, but Ted has always run on his record."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What's he talking about on the campaign trail?  What are Cruz's top three "to do" items?

Here's the blurb from a recent email:

August 12, 2018

Greetings,

This week, I had the pleasure of visiting our brave servicemen and women and Texas military communities during my statewide ‘Texas Defends America’ tour, which included Lackland, Goodfellow and Dyess Air Force Bases and Fort Hood. At these bases, I received updates on training operations and long-term investments that will benefit and improve our military. I am proud to have secured over 30 provisions in FY19 NDAA which benefit Texas and support America’s national security interests at home and abroad. In the challenging environment we live in today, peace through strength is best achieved with a strong, well-funded military. There is no state in the union that loves and values our active duty military and our veterans the way the state of Texas does.

On Wednesday, I participated in a ‘Defend & Reform’ town hall hosted by Concerned Veterans for America (CVA) in San Angelo, where I answered questions from attendees and discussed the issues affecting veterans and their families. As a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, I fight for our military service members and work to ensure that meaningful reform is occurring at the Department of Veterans Affairs to properly support them when they transition to civilian life. That’s why I introduced the V.E.T. Protection Act earlier this year following a January 2017 Government Accountability Office (GAO) Report concerning the abuse of official time practices and union activities by employees at the VA. Each year, VA employees spend over a million hours on union organizing and other activities instead of caring for veterans. That is an enormous amount of time that should be devoted to our veterans. My bill would limit the amount of time VA employees can devote to union activity. The central mission of the VA should be caring for veterans, not spending time on political activities.

I also visited the Coast Guard Air Station in Houston, where I received an update on Coast Guard operations conducted in South Texas, a briefing on the lessons learned following Hurricane Harvey, and the preparations taking place for the 2018 hurricane season. Hurricane Harvey was unlike anything Texas had ever seen before, and without the help of the brave men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard, many Texans would not have made their way through it. Without hesitation, and despite facing personal loss and property damage to their own homes, the Coast Guardsmen jumped into action and led rescue and recovery efforts. Texas continues to rebuild stronger than ever, and we owe these brave men and women our gratitude. From the floodwaters of hurricanes to the shores of foreign conflict, Texas continues to lead the nation in military readiness and defense.

As we continue to rebuild from the unprecedented devastation from Hurricane Harvey, we must also take all steps necessary to prepare for the hurricane season ahead. For those seeking information or assistance during the recovery and rebuilding process, please do not hesitate to contact my office or use the federal and state resources listed here. For those seeking preparedness information and resources, please refer to the federal and state resources listed here.

Please read below for an update from this last week.

Keep Texas Strong,

Ted Cruz

Sen. Cruz issued a statement applauding the administration's enforcement of U.S. sanctions on Iran. Read more...

Sen. Cruz kicked off the ‘Texas Defends America' tour, a week-long tour of Texas military bases, with a visit to Military City, USA. Read more...

Sen. Cruz (R-Texas) on Tuesday continued his ‘Texas Defends America’ tour, a week-long tour of Texas military bases, with a visit to the Coast Guard Air Station in Houston. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Wednesday continued his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Goodfellow Air Force Base. Read more...

On Wednesday, Sen. Cruz participated in a ‘Defend & Reform' town hall hosted by Concerned Veterans for America (CVA) in San Angelo as part of his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Thursday continued his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Dyess Air Force Base where he received an update on the B-1 bomber force, C-130J airlift operations, and preparations for the B-21 “Raider,” a long-range strike bomber. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Friday continued his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Georgetown, where he participated in a ceremony hosted by ‘Helping a Hero.' Read more...

Sen. Cruz issued a statement in response to Hamas's escalating terror attacks in Israel. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Friday concluded his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Fort Hood. Read more...

Read more...

Sen. Cruz kicked off the ‘Texas Defends America' tour, a week-long tour of Texas military bases, with a visit to Military City, USA. Read more...

Sen. Cruz (R-Texas) on Tuesday continued his ‘Texas Defends America’ tour, a week-long tour of Texas military bases, with a visit to the Coast Guard Air Station in Houston. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Wednesday continued his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Goodfellow Air Force Base. Read more...

On Wednesday, Sen. Cruz participated in a ‘Defend & Reform' town hall hosted by Concerned Veterans for America (CVA) in San Angelo as part of his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Thursday continued his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Dyess Air Force Base where he received an update on the B-1 bomber force, C-130J airlift operations, and preparations for the B-21 “Raider,” a long-range strike bomber. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Friday continued his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Georgetown, where he participated in a ceremony hosted by ‘Helping a Hero.' Read more...

Sen. Cruz issued a statement in response to Hamas's escalating terror attacks in Israel. Read more...

Sen. Cruz on Friday concluded his statewide ‘Texas Defends America' tour with a visit to Fort Hood. Read more...

The full press releases may be viewed here.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:22:11 am by Sanguine »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Some quotes on Facebook by friends and associates I know from yesterday and today's events. (names redacted).

This one is from a lady who owns a large real-estate agency who I thought was a Trumper. (she may have been, about pop culture, not party)
Small business owner:Also from her
Attorney and multiple business owner (and very right leaning usually):
Retired business owner:
Salon owner (only about 20 years old):

I've been seeing this stuff all yesterday and today from people I never would have suspected would support him. Either business owners, some who lean Conservative (and past Republicans) and young people who usually wouldn't even be involved.

@AbaraXas

Maybe you can tell your FB buddies that when Cruz was arguing in front of the Supreme Court, Beatoff was playing in a band and driving drunk. :shrug:
Principles matter. Words matter.

"Most candidates run on a list of issues, but Ted has always run on his record."

Cruz is running on his Senate record?

Here's the blurb from a recent email:

That's quite a blurb  :laugh:

And I walk away convinced Cruz is pro-military.  And that's good.

Immigration?  Border security?  Taxes?  Healthcare? --- What agenda is he taking back to the Senate with him?

The bottom line for most voters, Republican, Democrat and Independent is:  What's in it for me?   What's Cruz's answer to this?

Thanks.

@Sanguine

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:50:43 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Does that surprise you?

He does have related job experience before he was elected senator.

From 1999 to 2003, he held various government positions; Cruz served as Director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), as an Associate Deputy Attorney General at the U.S. Justice Department, and as a Domestic Policy Advisor to George W. Bush on the 2000 George W. Bush presidential campaign. Cruz served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to 2008, having been appointed by Texas Attorney General, and later Governor, Greg Abbott. He was the longest-serving Solicitor General in Texas history, and was the first Hispanic American to serve in that capacity. From 2004 to 2009, Cruz was an Adjunct Professor at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, Texas, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

You have a problem with his voting record in the senate?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Does that surprise you? 

A little bit.  But this may be because I'm just not aware of Cruz's successes in the Senate.  Can he point to legislation with his name on it?

Maybe it's more important to speak with specificity about what he's going to fight for in the Senate.  I listed a couple of big item tickets like immigration, border security, taxes, health care .... maybe talk about what he plans to do in his second term.

I don't know what's going on with this campaign, which is why I ask these questions.  I come from one POV:  Hold the damn seat.

I've read here that Cruz's victory is a near certainty....the question is how large a victory he will win.  I'm hoping these guys are right.

You have a problem with his voting record in the senate?

Of course not.  But perhaps a campaign is also helped by a track record of successful initiatives.  This is what I am unaware of.  If I've just missed them, please let me know.

Thanks.