Author Topic: Hey, Guys -- Not Feeling Well? Nobody Cares  (Read 968 times)

Offline endicom

Hey, Guys -- Not Feeling Well? Nobody Cares
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:02:50 am »
PJ Media
Michael Walsh
Aug. 11, 2018

For real men, the only acceptable answer to "how are you?" is "fine." You could look it up:

Men consistently report that they are healthier than women but have higher mortality rates. We hypothesized that men were sexually selected to present themselves as healthy to possible mates, according to predictions from health selection theory.

[...]

Oh, baloney. The only time a real man needs to see a doctor is when he's having a heart attack, has been shot, or has fallen from a five-story building. The rest of the time, we're just fine.  Right, guys? Right?

More... https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/hey-guys-not-feeling-well-nobody-cares/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Hey, Guys -- Not Feeling Well? Nobody Cares
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:34:36 pm »
PJ Media
Michael Walsh
Aug. 11, 2018

For real men, the only acceptable answer to "how are you?" is "fine." You could look it up:

Oh, baloney. The only time a real man needs to see a doctor is when he's having a heart attack, has been shot, or has fallen from a five-story building. The rest of the time, we're just fine.  Right, guys? Right?

More... https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/hey-guys-not-feeling-well-nobody-cares/

Amen.  My Mom was a nurse.  The only time she would take us to a doctor (outside of vaccinations and routine physicals) was if bones were protruding thu the skin or if we nicked an artery with an errant lawn jart or when throwing pocket knifes at each other and applying pressure and a tourniquet wouldn't stop the bleeding.  I watched her relocate my stupid little brothers dislocated (turns out later xrays showed it was broken) shoulder/collarbone with much amusement when he crashed his bike into a tree like like scout trooper on a speeder bike chase on Planet Endor.

Otherwise it was Bayer aspirin and butterfly bandages and we were good to go. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:35:22 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Hey, Guys -- Not Feeling Well? Nobody Cares
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:11:27 pm »
Very true. My mother was extremely negligent to the kids. Not because she was mean, that's just how she was raised. I almost died from it twice. Once with appendicitis and once when a four inch cut on my foot became infected. I still have the jagged scar. By the time she finally took me to a doctor, it was too late for stitches. No doctor. No dentist. No medicines. We were just on our own. The first time I ever saw a dentist was when I was 18 when I joined the military. The military was perfect for me. I was already used to toughing it out.

My grandmother had 13 children on a farm. My mother was one. She had no use for doctors.
I don't remember ever being quote 'sick' as a child. That is kind of weird in a way, now that I think about it. Like the guy said, nobody cared. Walk it off. Suck it up and get over it. Illness was just not something we had time for.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:16:06 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.