Author Topic: Under investigation for insider trading, Trump ally will not seek re-election  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Under investigation for insider trading, Trump ally will not seek re-election
The Hill, Aug 11, 2018, Scott Wong and Tal Axelrod

Embattled Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) said Saturday he is suspending his reelection campaign as he fights charges of insider trading — a dramatic reversal from a few days ago when he insisted he would be on the November ballot and seek reelection.

“After extensive discussions with my family and my friends over the last few days, I have decided that it is in the best interests of the constituents of NY-27, the Republican Party and President Trump’s agenda for me to suspend my campaign for re-election to Congress,” Collins said in a statement.

He added he will continue serving the rest of his term and “fight the meritless charges brought against me.”

More: http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/401381-rep-chris-collins-suspends-reelection-campaign-over-insider-trading

Oh, look!  The Hill managed to tie this to the President --- and in the title no less.   88devil

Offline jpsb

Well there goes 1 GOP house seat. And What has this got to do with Trump? No browny points for you today The Hill.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They already have another candidate lined up: Stefan Mychajliw (it's a Polish name, I think-- it's western New York, you can get away with that here). Current Erie County comptroller and longtime news reporter in Buffalo. He's a very aggressive campaigner and well-known in much of the district.

I'd say that this seat is pretty much safe now that Collins is out of the way.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county-comptroller-stefan-mychajliw-says-he-will-run-in-collins-place/1361349725
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Well there goes 1 GOP house seat. And What has this got to do with Trump? No browny points for you today The Hill.

I doubt it.  This district in NY prides itself on being a bastion of Republicanism.  For decades it's been solid.

The democrat is a no-name not even living in the district.

Early talk for a replacement is David Bellavia --- but you know the GOP.... Bellavia may be too easy a win to get the nod.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races

Might have been the quote from the soon to be former congressman - :“After extensive discussions with my family and my friends over the last few days, I have decided that it is in the best interests of the constituents of NY-27, the Republican Party and President Trump’s agenda for me to suspend my campaign for re-election to Congress,”

Collins was the first sitting congressman to endorse Donald Trump for president and he served on the Donald Trump presidential transition team.

:whistle:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They already have another candidate lined up: Stefan Mychajliw (it's a Polish name, I think-- it's western New York, you can get away with that here). Current Erie County comptroller and longtime news reporter in Buffalo. He's a very aggressive campaigner and well-known in much of the district.

I'd say that this seat is pretty much safe now that Collins is out of the way.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county-comptroller-stefan-mychajliw-says-he-will-run-in-collins-place/1361349725
I doubt it.  This district in NY prides itself on being a bastion of Republicanism.  For decades it's been solid.

The democrat is a no-name not even living in the district.

Early talk for a replacement is David Bellavia --- but you know the GOP.... Bellavia may be too easy a win to get the nod.

As usual, the Stupid Party even screws this up with a split ticket.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I listened to news coverage of this, then later his remarks.

It appears, they have a solid case that he broke the law.

He now faces criminal prosecution.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline darroll

Now they are finding another way of becoming a millionaire politician.
They are going to expand a freeway, buy the property before it is known to wall street. (Wall Street is corrupt)? The libs yell it all the time.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
As usual, the Stupid Party even screws this up with a split ticket.
Because this is a replacement nominee, it's a lot tougher to split things.

What's going to happen is, once they get Collins off the ballot, the party bosses from each county are going to get together, go over the candidates and pick one to represent the GOP in November.

There are three parties that Collins was running on: Republican, Conservative and Independence. The last of these is fading into pretty close to irrelevance. The Conservatives still carry some clout, but the names being considered on the GOP side so far are all pretty solid conservatives, and I don't really see any objections the CP would raise to any of them, so I suspect the cross-endorsement is a given at this point. What might happen is some horse-trading: say, they might agree to have Bellavia run for Congress, then have Mychaijliw run for county executive next year as he was originally planning to do.

The only split there really is to worry much about is the Reform Party nominee, Larry Piegza, but he's underfunded, has no real name recognition, and is pretty much a non-factor.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024