Author Topic: Help?  (Read 19672 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Help?
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2018, 01:46:43 am »
Well, I've got Win 10 running.  Thanks to everyone, and some additional applause to @roamer_1  for helping me via PM, too.

Still am puzzled why I can't just hook up my old SSD and get it to boot anymore, but I'm looking forward and didn't lose too much.  My next step is to figure out how to set up a nice backup system!

Not sure what you're trying to do with the old SSD.  Of the possibilities I can think of, I'd remind you that the BIOS has a boot order, so if you're saying you can't boot off of the new SSD when the old one is installed, you may need to look to the BIOS.  Or put the old one in a cheap external, hot plugable (probably USB) exclosure, boot off the new one, plug in the old one and copy what you need over.  [Personally, I'd use VM software to make a VM image from the old SSD so I could safely boot into it to retrieve application settings, saved logins, etc, but that's a bit of work if you're not already familiar with the process].

If by some chance you're saying that you want to boot off the old SSD with the new one also installed, please don't.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2018, 02:34:05 am »
FWIW.  My problem with Vista running Chrome has been corrected.  I started using the Avast Browser.

:chairbang:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2018, 02:50:02 am »
   I've come back here and reread because I'm fixing to do a New Build and TRYING desperately to keep my Win 7 until they pry my cold dead hands off of it in early 2020. 
   I'm a PC nerd and I learned a hell of a lot on this Thread.
   Thanks All.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2018, 02:59:44 am »
   I've come back here and reread because I'm fixing to do a New Build and TRYING desperately to keep my Win 7 until they pry my cold dead hands off of it in early 2020. 
   Thanks All.

The Dell that my daughter gave me from a work cast-off was getting flaky so I did a new build. I'm running Win 10, but I also have Win 7 I run in an Oracle VirtualBox. I was also running XP, but now none of my XP keys are any good anymore.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2018, 04:04:29 am »
   Thanks All.

@corbe
It really ain't worth it... Win7 Updater is busted, and more than half the time, is not fixable. I keep threatening to slipstream all the updates into a set of installation cabs, but with some 200+ since SP-1, that would be a monumental undertaking.

Just go to ten and get it over with. Let me know before you do, as there are some pretty simple steps to shut off the lion's share of the telemetry and glorified spyware, and some unpublished ways to do it for nothing, even yet.

Online corbe

« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2018, 04:19:59 am »
@roamer_1   

I load Win7 on at least 2 PC's a month (Real Estate and Dr.'s offices) and in the first or second reboot of updates M$ gives you some $hit about Win10 is better, click the other box and if the Customer originally had Win 10, I do that. 

My question to you, my friend, if Win10 has never been on the box does M$ even ask the question or want money an hour after install.
    I have valid Win 7 keys and retired when 10 came out, that's how much I dislike it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2018, 04:46:04 am »
@roamer_1   

I load Win7 on at least 2 PC's a month (Real Estate and Dr.'s offices) and in the first or second reboot of updates M$ gives you some $hit about Win10 is better, click the other box and if the Customer originally had Win 10, I do that. 

My question to you, my friend, if Win10 has never been on the box does M$ even ask the question or want money an hour after install.
    I have valid Win 7 keys and retired when 10 came out, that's how much I dislike it.

@corbe
I hear ya... If it weren't for keeping on top of it, this whole network here would be running Linux boxes. You might try Mint out.

But, at some point, if you stay on Win, upgrade is inevitable. If it were me, I would rather do that in a controlled descent rather than a free-fall... But, being in the business, I was an early adopter... All my Joe-Homeowner customers would be getting it, and I would need to know how to make it go.

I don't have anything running seven anymore. And I don't understand your angst.
One thing I can tell you - Since 10 came out, I get very little coming over my bench anymore.... Viruses are almost never found. Most of what I do nowadays is hard drives and teaching.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:47:01 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2018, 04:53:29 am »

@corbe
I have never paid a dime for Win10, and I have it on somewhere around 9 or 10 boxes.
And no, outside of services (that I don't use), It never asks me for money.
They've basically turned it into big-data spyware. I think they make their money selling your data, so I don't really think they care as much that you buy it, but rather that you use it.

So long as you shut off all the telemetry, it ain't spying anymore... And I can prove it. Sniff it with any decent network sniffer and look at all the communication... then shut of the telemetry and sniff it again - Not a peep.

Online corbe

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2018, 03:11:05 pm »
   Thanks for the info @roamer_1

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2018, 03:05:17 am »
   Thanks for the info @roamer_1

BTW @corbe ... If you are dead-set on Win7 and you are reasonably competent, look into WSUS Offline

RTFM!!!
But the idea is, you can DL ALL the KB's locally and put them onto a thumb, DVD, or net share, and after your install, run their installer instead of WIN's, and it will install all the updates from the local file, bypassing the Windows updater... Win Update may wind up broken anyway, but you can continue to use the WSUS tool instead, having to update its file store form time to time, and rerunning the installer...

very, very good tool