Author Topic: Trump says Chicago shootings are 'absolute and total disaster'  (Read 897 times)

Offline endicom

Fox News
Matt Richardson
Aug. 9, 2018

President Trump weighed in on the recent string of shootings in Chicago on Thursday, labeling the bloodshed that’s left at least 11 people dead and 70 others injured an “absolute and total disaster.”

Speaking at a prison reform roundtable at his golf club in Bedminister, New Jersey, alongside governors and state attorneys general, the president laid much of the blame for the violence at the feet of the city’s leadership.

“We must strengthen community bonds with law enforcement including cities like Chicago, that have been an absolute and total disaster,” Trump said. “We’ll be talking about Chicago today because that is something that – in terms of our nation – nobody would believe it could be happening.

More... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/09/trump-says-chicago-shootings-are-absolute-and-total-disaster.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Trump says Chicago shootings are 'absolute and total disaster'
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:42 am »
He's absolutely correct.  Those are 3rd world murder rates or at least, it seems that way.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:43:12 am »
Police and government are not going to fix Chicago or any other major violent crime-ridden city.  The people who live there must change.  There must be families -- a mother and a father (not an often unknown sperm donor and egg) -- who should be involved with their children.  The kids need parents to teach them right from wrong, a father to play with  and teach his son, a mother to teach and nurture her daughter.  Parents who read to their kids, who stress the importance of education and hard work to get ahead, not the gang life which leads to prison or the morgue.  Parents who are always aware of what the kids are doing and the other kids they are associating with. 

Every time one of these young men is killed, a parent or the parents are interviewed, and I always wonder, where were these parents when the kid was still alive?  When Trayvon died, the parents were carrying on and I kept thinking, how much did they know about their kid's thug life?  Here was Trayvon on the street on a Sunday night.  Why wasn't he home with his parents?  When I was a kid, Sunday was spent at church and then with family.  Didn't matter how old I was.  As long as I lived under my parents' roof, I obeyed their rules and followed their traditions.   Seems to me these "families" don't have any rules or traditions.  Most of the time the kids are out on the street and the parents have no idea where they are or who they are with.  Seems like the only time they care about these kids is when they are killed.  Then it's everyone else's fault, not theirs.

If the people don't change their ways -- if they don't start raising their kids right, instead of abdicating their responsibilities to the state or just letting the kids raise themselves -- then the violent crime will go on and the number of deaths will increase.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:38 am »
Police and government are not going to fix Chicago or any other major violent crime-ridden city.  The people who live there must change.  There must be families -- a mother and a father (not an often unknown sperm donor and egg) -- who should be involved with their children.  The kids need parents to teach them right from wrong, a father to play with  and teach his son, a mother to teach and nurture her daughter.  Parents who read to their kids, who stress the importance of education and hard work to get ahead, not the gang life which leads to prison or the morgue.  Parents who are always aware of what the kids are doing and the other kids they are associating with. 

Every time one of these young men is killed, a parent or the parents are interviewed, and I always wonder, where were these parents when the kid was still alive?  When Trayvon died, the parents were carrying on and I kept thinking, how much did they know about their kid's thug life?  Here was Trayvon on the street on a Sunday night.  Why wasn't he home with his parents?  When I was a kid, Sunday was spent at church and then with family.  Didn't matter how old I was.  As long as I lived under my parents' roof, I obeyed their rules and followed their traditions.   Seems to me these "families" don't have any rules or traditions.  Most of the time the kids are out on the street and the parents have no idea where they are or who they are with.  Seems like the only time they care about these kids is when they are killed.  Then it's everyone else's fault, not theirs.

If the people don't change their ways -- if they don't start raising their kids right, instead of abdicating their responsibilities to the state or just letting the kids raise themselves -- then the violent crime will go on and the number of deaths will increase.

And in the meantime @Applewood we just watch them die?  Even the "good" ones raising their kids "right"?

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 12:50:38 pm »
And in the meantime @Applewood we just watch them die?  Even the "good" ones raising their kids "right"?

What would you suggest?  Hopefully not a federal take-over...

People will get the government they vote for.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 01:05:38 pm »
While not written in stone, and individual circumstance can vary, the keys to success in American life haven't changed.
Those who follow this recipe in order, tend to stay above the poverty line.

(1) Finish school, at least high school and farther if you can.
(2) Start a career.
(3) Get married.
(4) Have children.

Skip steps, or take them out of order and it is more difficult to get ahead, and to stay out of poverty ridden areas, were violence is more likely to occur.
I think this is sound advice, and several studies have confirmed this to be true.
Unfortunately, leftist who run most things in the inner cities scoff at this, but we are seeing the results of this not being followed, and in some cases, scorned by those who say it lacks "diversity".

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:07:22 pm »

Well, what do you propose government do?  Maybe midnight basketball?  Yeah, that worked so well before.   *****rollingeyes*****

Seriously, what I would like to see is letting police do their job without hindrance from the city, state and federal officials and idiot judges.  The way it is now, police are just about afraid to do anything resembling law enforcement, lest they be accused of racism, police brutality and who knows what all.  Round up the major domos in the thug life, put them in prison or give them the needle. 

Beyond that, I'm tired of government officials reducing our law enforcement entities to "community outreach" and general hand holding of certain races, classes and lifestyles.  Stay out of the way and let the men and women in blue do their jobs.