Author Topic: New Report Suggest Trump Is Preparing To Nix Obama-Era Lightbulb Rules  (Read 3526 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New Report Suggest Trump Is Preparing To Nix Obama-Era Lightbulb Rules
4:27 PM 08/08/2018
Chris White | Energy Reporter

The Trump administration is preparing to repeal an Obama-era rule effectively outlawing a wide swath of popular lightbulbs, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.

The Department of Energy is ready to scrap a rule broadening the number of lightbulbs that must meet strict energy efficiency standards set to take effect in 2020, according to a document the agency published on its website. The document was later removed from the site, WaPo noted.

Former President Barack Obama’s DOE expanded the class of bulbs covered by a 2007 lightbulb ban to include bug lights, three-way bulbs, “rough service lamps,” and some decorative bulbs, such as globe-shaped bulbs. Obama’s decision came in January 2017 and roped in bulbs that had previously been exempt from the ban.

Obama officials argued the expansion was needed because consumers might use the unregulated bulbs to replace regulated ones. “DOE expects these sales will likely increase since these lamps could be used as replacements for other regulated lamp types,” the law notes. The Trump administration is clamming up about the change.

more
http://dailycaller.com/2018/08/08/obama-light-bulbs-trump-energy/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: New Report Suggest Trump Is Preparing To Nix Obama-Era Lightbulb Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:18:38 pm »
The Shrub started this whole crap to put an end to the safe and economical 100+ y/o edison bulb for the crap we have to deal with now. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 03:20:17 pm »
I've switched over to mostly LED.  I like the lack of heat, and if you get the "warm" bulbs the light looks like incandescent bulbs.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:21:46 pm »
I've switched over to mostly LED.  I like the lack of heat, and if you get the "warm" bulbs the light looks like incandescent bulbs.

You communist sympathizer you!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »
The Shrub started this whole crap to put an end to the safe and economical 100+ y/o edison bulb for the crap we have to deal with now.

The incandescent bulbs that were outlawed could in all honesty NOT be considered an "Edison Bulb". The Edison Bulb just lasted way too long to satisfy the greed of the manufacturers. So they all colluded and degraded Edison's bulb to burn out quickly, so that customers would have to buy more and more replacements.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:02 pm »
MAGA!!!!      :patriot:

NEWSBREAK:  Cost of light bulbs to plummet!

The cost of the current 'Obama bulb' will be $2.99 tops.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
You communist sympathizer you!

I know, right?

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 03:31:59 pm »
The incandescent bulbs that were outlawed could in all honesty NOT be considered an "Edison Bulb". The Edison Bulb just lasted way too long to satisfy the greed of the manufacturers. So they all colluded and degraded Edison's bulb to burn out quickly, so that customers would have to buy more and more replacements.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/facts.htm

Installed: First installed at the fire department hose cart house on L Street in 1901. Shortly after it moved to the main firehouse on Second. In 1903 it was moved to the new Station 1 on First and McLeod, and survived the renovation of the Firehouse in 1937, when it was off for about a week.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:00 pm »
At this latitude (ND, 70 miles from Canada), in summer we have up to 16 hours of daylight, in winter (and we have winter, with a capital 'W') we get up to 16 hours of dark. In summer, we don't use the light bulbs much, in winter there is no such thing as "waste heat". When our Congressional idiots voted for this dreck spewing nonsense about waste heat, we knew they had become swamp creatures, and only visited in the height of the campaign season (when the length of the day is about the same as Washington, DC.

As a more nostalgic note, my little sister had one of the old "Easy Bake Ovens" (for which I was the lab rat in chief). It used a 100 watt light bulb as the heat source. Sometimes the heat is a good thing, and folks have used heat lamps, and sometimes mere incandescent bulbs to keep water lines from freezing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 03:48:15 pm »
When the 'ban' was in the works (because government can be relied on to do something if it is stupid) I bought a 'stash' of hospitality industry grade bulbs. The filaments are heavier and better supported than the ordinary incandescents and they outlasted that vintage of ordinary bulb by a factor of 4 or so. By the time the ban was really close to going into effect, the average Walmart 60W bulb burned out in a couple of months, a degradation of service life that might make one think they were either out to thwart the idea of stocking up on incandescents or that would frustrate customers into getting those screw shaped things because they  were spending almost as much replacing the crappy incandescents that were being sold.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »
At this latitude (ND, 70 miles from Canada), in summer we have up to 16 hours of daylight, in winter (and we have winter, with a capital 'W') we get up to 16 hours of dark. In summer, we don't use the light bulbs much, in winter there is no such thing as "waste heat". When our Congressional idiots voted for this dreck spewing nonsense about waste heat, we knew they had become swamp creatures, and only visited in the height of the campaign season (when the length of the day is about the same as Washington, DC.

As a more nostalgic note, my little sister had one of the old "Easy Bake Ovens" (for which I was the lab rat in chief). It used a 100 watt light bulb as the heat source. Sometimes the heat is a good thing, and folks have used heat lamps, and sometimes mere incandescent bulbs to keep water lines from freezing.

I understand that.  I keep an incandescent bulb and a heat lamp bulb in the well house, and turn one of them on depending on how cold it will get.  But, that's for a couple of months at night occasionally here. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »
How many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Two, but it's cramped.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 03:56:38 pm »
Back in the day. Com Ed would give you a few free bulbs a month if you presented your paid electric bill ot the local office.  Last fall I was home visiting my Dad and was looking for something in the basement.  I opened an old storage cab and found over 50 4 packs of different wattage bulbs. 10 or more 3 ways and  various 200, and 300 watt bulbs.  It was the holy grail of bulbs. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 04:09:24 pm »
The Great Internet Light Bulb Book, Part I
Incandescent including halogen light bulbs
Copyright (C) 1996, 2000, 2005, 2006 Donald L. Klipstein (Jr) (don@donklipstein.com)
Freely distributing copies of this entire document or un-HTML-ized text versions thereof is permitted and encouraged.

http://donklipstein.com/bulb1.html

History
    Basic principles
    Luminous efficiency
    Vacuum vs. gas-filled bulbs
    How bulbs burn out
    Why bulbs often burn out when you turn them on
    Why burnout is sometimes so spectacular
    How bad a current surge bulbs draw when turned on
    Making bulbs last longer
    Long-life bulbs
    Reduced power
    Soft start devices
    DC vs. AC operation
    Why making bulbs last longer often does not pay
    How to minimize lighting costs
    Halogen bulbs
    The halogen cycle
    Lifetime and efficiency of halogen bulbs
    Halogen bulb failure modes
    Use of halogen bulbs with dimmers
    Ultraviolet from halogen bulbs

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 04:16:02 pm »
I understand that.  I keep an incandescent bulb and a heat lamp bulb in the well house, and turn one of them on depending on how cold it will get.  But, that's for a couple of months at night occasionally here.
I guess the point is, once again, one size does not fit all. To ban alternatives is to deny people the ability to choose what is appropriate for their circumstances. When government does things, no matter how supposedly good their intentions, that limit the ability of the individual to adapt to their own particular circumstances, they create problems unnecessarily, something all too often counterproductive.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 04:19:15 pm »
I guess the point is, once again, one size does not fit all. To ban alternatives is to deny people the ability to choose what is appropriate for their circumstances. When government does things, no matter how supposedly good their intentions, that limit the ability of the individual to adapt to their own particular circumstances, they create problems unnecessarily, something all too often counterproductive.

@Smokin Joe

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."

Daniel Webster
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 04:25:17 pm »

This is correct lest we forget.

Bush the Lesser was the one who signed the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 into law which essentially banned incandescents.  Of course there were plenty of Republicans who helped craft that bill alongside Democrats.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 04:45:59 pm »
http://www.centennialbulb.org/facts.htm

Installed: First installed at the fire department hose cart house on L Street in 1901. Shortly after it moved to the main firehouse on Second. In 1903 it was moved to the new Station 1 on First and McLeod, and survived the renovation of the Firehouse in 1937, when it was off for about a week.

Cool, thanks for the link.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 04:50:50 pm »

Not only that, it stymies the competition. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 05:13:35 pm »
Not only that, it stymies the competition.
Actually, it is even more nefarious than that. It removes the option for people to keep doing/using what they have, and forces them to buy something they don't. It is a tax, coerced commerce. If the government could figure out a way to make claw hammers obsolete, they would.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 12:27:48 am »
One more excellent move from the Trump administration.

Ok, how about getting rid of that ridiculous 2.5 gallons-per-minute rule for shower heads?

Aside:
Still using a grungy old Speakman shower head with no restrictions at all, and I'll keep using it until it falls apart...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02:18 am »
One more excellent move from the Trump administration.

Ok, how about getting rid of that ridiculous 2.5 gallons-per-minute rule for shower heads?

Aside:
Still using a grungy old Speakman shower head with no restrictions at all, and I'll keep using it until it falls apart...
A little 'doctoring' on that shower head with a drill bit and a hairy fellow can get wet without waiting a week.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:30 am »
A little 'doctoring' on that shower head with a drill bit and a hairy fellow can get wet without waiting a week.

Many of them have a rubber/plastic insert that can be popped off.

I found another solution.  Our remodeled shower has double controls and 4 heads.  A couple of those heads have been "improved".
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 01:55:35 pm »

is it so easy a caveman could do it?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 08:36:50 pm »
is it so easy a caveman could do it?
Do cavemen take showers?

C S Lewis