Author Topic: How to Reload a Revolver with Moon Clips  (Read 2542 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How to Reload a Revolver with Moon Clips
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:06:04 pm »
US Concealed Carry By Duane A. Daiker

Even in a world full of high-capacity autoloaders, many lawfully armed citizens still choose a revolver.

Revolvers have a number of advantages over semi-automatic pistols, but speed of reloading is not one of them. Revolvers are limited by relatively small ammunition capacity, which is made even worse by the slow and sometimes difficult reloading process.

Over the years, a number of different techniques have evolved to help load revolvers more quickly and reliably, including speed loaders, speed strips, and moon clips. All of these involve some type of device to hold the rounds together and help simultaneously align them with the chambers in the cylinder.

Of these techniques, however, the use of moon clips may be the least understood. Outside of revolver competitions, the use of moon clips is somewhat uncommon, but they are a tool worthy of your consideration.

Ultimately, moon clips are just another way of loading a revolver.

Moon clip basics

A moon clip is a star-shaped sheet of thin metal, usually spring steel, designed to hold multiple cartridges together as a single unit. Most moon clips are designed to hold the exact number of rounds necessary to fully load a particular revolver’s cylinder, but there are also “half-moon clips” that fill half the cylinder, and even “one-third” moon clips that hold only two rounds each. This article will focus on the more common “full-moon clips” that hold 5, 6, 7, or 8 rounds, depending upon the full capacity of the revolver in question.

Moon clips are actually required for most revolvers chambered for semiautomatic calibers like 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. These calibers use a rimless case that is designed to feed and extract more efficiently in an autoloader. The moon clip rides inside the indented groove in the case, and functions like a cartridge rim to set the headspace for the cartridge when chambered. Revolvers using rimless cartridges cannot be fired without moon clips.

The moon clip can also be used with traditional rimmed revolver cartridges such as .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special and .44 Magnum. With rimmed cartridges, moon clips are not required, but may be used to increase speed and efficiency in loading.

However, unlike a revolver designed to fire a rimless cartridge, a revolver chambered for a rimmed cartridge must be specially modified to allow the use of moon clips. The cylinder has to be cut so the moon clip sits flush on the mouth of each chamber without changing the head spacing of the cartridge.

However, only the inside of the chamber mouth has to be recessed, so even a cylinder cut for moon clips can be used without moon clips in the traditional manner. The necessary cylinder modification to accommodate the use of a moon clip can be part of the original factory design of the revolver or can be done as an aftermarket modification by a qualified gunsmith.

More: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/reloading-revolver-moon-clips/

Offline thackney

Re: How to Reload a Revolver with Moon Clips
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »
The Smith & Wesson Governor revolver includes moon clips. That way, in addition to the 45 Colt and .410 Shotshell, (like the Taurus Judge), it can also shoot 45 ACP.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-governor-0
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:53:34 pm »
The Smith & Wesson Governor revolver includes moon clips. That way, in addition to the 45 Colt and .410 Shotshell, (like the Taurus Judge), it can also shoot 45 ACP.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-governor-0

Just be aware that any weapon that shoots .45 cal pistol cartridges in a chamber that is chambered for .410 shotgun shells will have excessive freebore for the pistol rounds and accuracy WILL be affected.

The Governor produced solid defensive accuracy at 7 yards with .45 Colt loads. Groups ranged from 2 inches to 3.15 inches, with the best five-shot averages produced by Winchester's PDX-1 225-grain jacketed hollow points at 2.5 inches.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/8/4/review-the-smith-wesson-governor/

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:15:58 pm »
I looked at the Judge and Governor as a Tractor carry for snakes or hogs in the pasture.  I never could talk myself into them, not for lack of trying rentals at the range.

Now that life is beginning to be restored at the homestead, I'm given more thought to the Mossberg 590.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:01:49 pm »
What were you going to use? A handlebar mount or a scabbard?

I would imagine that a handgun in a shoulder holster would be quicker.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:23 pm »
What were you going to use? A handlebar mount or a scabbard?

I would imagine that a handgun in a shoulder holster would be quicker.
I would think a Scabbard mounted on the rollover bars would work for me.  I don't need a quick draw setup.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 12:52:50 pm »
Continuing the thread hijack...

I found another critter this weekend to help motivate me to carry while on the tractor:

My property is divided by a slough.  Previous owner dug out a ditch in it to better drain, hold water and cross it.  It is ~40 ft x 800 ft x 6~8 ft deep.  The neighbor had seen it before but this was my first time.  She stayed around for a couple hours while we were clearing near the slough.  When I finally started working close (10~15 ft) she hissed at me and showed me her teeth for about 10 minutes before going back in the water.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 01:15:11 pm »
Now you've done it. You shouldn't have divulged your true intentions for arming your tractor. :nono:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_1011.pdf

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »
Now you've done it. You shouldn't have divulged your true intentions for arming your tractor. :nono:

Yep, I've been reading those.  September 10th isn't that far away.  I haven't more publicly shared that picture like on Facebook.

If I don't get her next month in hunting period, I'll file the nuisance paperwork.  There isn't enough food in that ditch for longer term.  I suspect she got dislocated during Harvey or the previous flood.  We are about 1 1/4 mile from Oyster Creek.

Nuisance Control Protocol for Alligators
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_2066.pdf

The bigger concern is she isn't alone.  This is in my cattle pasture and cows/calves will drink from that.  She isn't big enough to eat a calf, maybe 5~6 ft.  But she could mess up a leg pretty bad.  I worry there is a nest we haven't found.  It was really overgrown around it.  No direct sunlight.  We are trying to cut all but the biggest trees out.  I've come to hate Chinese Tallow.

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/triadica-sebifera

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:49:44 am »

They killed one of my calves yesterday.  I got a Nuisance Control case opened with Texas Parks & Wildlife.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 12:16:58 pm »
They killed one of my calves yesterday.  I got a Nuisance Control case opened with Texas Parks & Wildlife.

Sorry to hear that.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:21:44 pm »
Sorry to hear that.

Yesterday sucked.  In addition to grave digging, I got to listen to Mama scream for 8 hours, which then changed to more of mornful cry for the rest of the day.  She would walk up to me and just scream.  Then walk around the pasture doing the same, then come back to me, over and over.