Author Topic: A Hot Dog Is Not A Sandwich  (Read 5039 times)

Silver Pines

Re: A Hot Dog Is Not A Sandwich
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 07:04:01 pm »
Now I'm thinking of Eddie Murphy and the welfare burger his mama made him.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14:02 pm »
Image result for hot dog sandwich meme

Just like  the ones made with the Tang. You have to pinch the corners

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 07:29:54 pm »
Just like  the ones made with the Tang. You have to pinch the corners

They thwarted us...

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »

Related image
Image result for hot dog ketchup sign

Related image
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 08:28:59 pm »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:24 pm »
According to Merriam Webster's dictionary it certainly is:

a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Silver Pines

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 10:58:18 pm »
According to Merriam Webster's dictionary it certainly is:

a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between

@AmericanaPrime

Merriam needs to get it together. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:58:51 pm by CatherineofAragon »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 11:06:45 pm »
@AmericanaPrime

Merriam needs to get it together.

Why is a Philly Cheese Steak considered to be a sandwich but a hot dog is not? They are both meat in a bun.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Silver Pines

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 11:13:39 pm »
Why is a Philly Cheese Steak considered to be a sandwich but a hot dog is not? They are both meat in a bun.

@240B

I don't know about Philly cheese steaks, I never had one.  But in this house, and in every reasonable mind, a sandwich is made by putting a piece of bread horizontally on a plate, placing whatever you want for filling, and then topping with another slice of bread.  I never once heard anybody say, "Oh, so you're having hot dogs tonight?"  "That's right, we're having sandwiches."

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 11:18:16 pm »
@240B

I don't know about Philly cheese steaks, I never had one.  But in this house, and in every reasonable mind, a sandwich is made by putting a piece of bread horizontally on a plate, placing whatever you want for filling, and then topping with another slice of bread.  I never once heard anybody say, "Oh, so you're having hot dogs tonight?"  "That's right, we're having sandwiches."
@CatherineofArgon

True. I agree. For some inexplicable reason the lowly hot dog has secured a place in our minds as being its 'own thing'. I know what you mean. A hot dog can never be anything but a hot dog. Even though it is really just a type of sandwich.

If you take the wiener out of the bun and replace it with roast beef, then you have a roast beef sandwich. Strange but true. Must be a cultural thing. I don't know.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 11:21:25 pm »
All hotdogs are sandwiches but not all sandwiches are hotdogs.

Silver Pines

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 11:22:53 pm »
@CatherineofArgon

True. I agree. For some inexplicable reason the lowly hot dog has secured a place in our minds as being its 'own thing'. I know what you mean. A hot dog can never be anything but a hot dog. Even though it is really just a type of sandwich.

If you take the wiener out of the bun and replace it with roast beef, then you have a roast beef sandwich. Strange but true. Must be a cultural thing. I don't know.

@240B

Does a Philly cheese steak have the same type of split bun?

Maybe it's because a hot dog wouldn't fit between two slices of bread?

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 01:22:18 am »
Does a Philly cheese steak have the same type of split bun?
Yes
Maybe it's because a hot dog wouldn't fit between two slices of bread?
If you cut a hot dog in half horizontally and then cut the halves in half vertically, you can lay the four pieces flat on a sandwich. It is like a baloney sandwich. At that point it is no longer a hotdog. It has become a hotdog sandwich.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 02:39:00 am »
I don't know about Philly cheese steaks, I never had one.

*bouche*

@CatherineofAragon You really must!

And if you ever head up to Philly, please be sure to go to Geno's, not Pat's.  Just be sure to check with @Jazzhead or me before ordering, so you don't get thrown out of line!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 02:42:29 am »

What type of Communist are you?

Online Wingnut

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 02:51:06 am »
@240B

You ain't missing much.  It is a nasty sammitch the lower class embraced years ago.  It probably started as somebody's mom's left-over mystery meat back in the depression.  It tastes so bad they had to put it on a stale roll and smother it with onions and other shit.  When that didn't cut the horrid taste some nut decided to drown it in melted cheese. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 12:36:41 am »
*bouche*

And if you ever head up to Philly, please be sure to go to Geno's, not Pat's.  Just be sure to check with @Jazzhead or me before ordering, so you don't get thrown out of line!

@Suppressed

Lol, that's sweet.  But no melted cheese is gonna pass these lips.  *shudder*

Silver Pines

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 12:37:20 am »
What type of Communist are you?

@Frank Cannon

A cheese-free one, praise heaven!

Silver Pines

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 12:38:23 am »
You ain't missing much.  It is a nasty sammitch the lower class embraced years ago.  It probably started as somebody's mom's left-over mystery meat back in the depression.  It tastes so bad they had to put it on a stale roll and smother it with onions and other shit.  When that didn't cut the horrid taste some nut decided to drown it in melted cheese.

@The Ghost

See. that's just gross.  Why not just do the right thing and have a steak.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 06:08:39 am »
@The Ghost

See. that's just gross.  Why not just do the right thing and have a steak.

Chopping up the steak makes for more surface area.

TO COVER WITH CHEESE!

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:22 pm »
*bouche*

Geno's is indeed better than Pat's;  the meat's sliced just a wee bit thicker.   And at either place, the steaks are fresh as a daisy because they churn 'em out, 24/7.  Literally.  It is a ritual of Philly nightlife to end the evening at four in the morning at the corner of 9th and 'Shunk,  where the two esteemed establishments face off like pugilists, neon ablaze.   

These days,  my favorite cheesesteak is the little beauty they serve up at Ready's in Ocean City, New Jersey.   Ready's is an old-style lunch counter;  one of my rituals is to take the Saturday Wall Street Journal,  sit at the counter at Ready's with a steak and the fluffiest crinkle-cut fries I've ever tasted, and pontificate about politics and the Phillies with whatever unfortunate is sitting next to me.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:14:04 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Silver Pines

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 03:51:09 pm »
Chopping up the steak makes for more surface area.

TO COVER WITH CHEESE!

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 08:13:21 pm »
Geno's is indeed better than Pat's;  the meat's sliced just a wee bit thicker.   And at either place, the steaks are fresh as a daisy because they churn 'em out, 24/7.  Literally.  It is a ritual of Philly nightlife to end the evening at four in the morning at the corner of 9th and 'Shunk,  where the two esteemed establishments face off like pugilists, neon ablaze.

I've had some great late-night chats at that mess of an intersection,including with a radio talk-show host I recognized.   

These days,  my favorite cheesesteak is the little beauty they serve up at Ready's in Ocean City, New Jersey.   Ready's is an old-style lunch counter;  one of my rituals is to take the Saturday Wall Street Journal,  sit at the counter at Ready's with a steak and the fluffiest crinkle-cut fries I've ever tasted, and pontificate about politics and the Phillies with whatever unfortunate is sitting next to me.   

That sounds wonderful!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn