Author Topic: Gear Review: Hidden Hybrid Holster AIWB Claw  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Gear Review: Hidden Hybrid Holster AIWB Claw
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:44:22 pm »
Guns.com by Jacki Billings 7/26/18

Hidden Hybrid Holsters quietly entered the holster market boasting a variety of hybrid style holsters for consumers who prefer to blend Kydex and leather. The holsters, available in OWB and IWB configurations, aim to give carriers a comfier concealment option. When the company approached me about doing a review on their latest design – an appendix inside the waistband outfitted with a claw, I jumped at the opportunity to put Hidden Hybrid through its paces.

The Basics

The AIWB rig itself marries two popular platforms into one seamless holster design. The leather backing makes for a comfortable carry while the Kydex shell mounted on top delivers retention and safety. The Kydex, measuring .093-inches in thickness, is cut to specifications of each gun model. In my case, Hidden Hybrid sent over the AIWB claw molded for my Smith & Wesson Shield in 9mm.

The AIWB claw is an extension of Hidden Hybrid’s AIWB holster, offered as an $5 upgrade to its standard AIWB package. The claw itself is made from plastic and appears to be the same material as the belt clip that secures the holster to the pant line. Equipped with adjustable retention, the holster also allows users to customize how tight the firearm fits inside the Kydex shell.

Hidden Hybrid offers a variety of choices when it comes to selecting the AIWB rig. Users can opt for a mold that accepts lights/lasers, choose right or left handed draw and can also customize belt clip size choosing either the 1.5-inch or 1.75-inch option. In addition, the company supplies several color options from standard black to pink, purple and even lime green.
Form and Function

When my holster first arrived, I had to make some immediate adjustments to retention. After placing my Shield in the holster and turning it upside down, the Shield fell back out of the holster dumping itself onto my desk. I tightened the adjustable screws that alter retention and tried again. This time the Shield stayed in place but when I went to draw the holster, it held to the Shield’s frame too much. Another quick adjustment and finally, just like Goldilocks, I got it just right. The Kydex gripped the Shield, preventing it from moving out of the holster while upside down, but still allowed me to easily and efficiently draw.

The Hidden Hybrid AIWB fully encapsulates the Shield’s trigger,
leaving no room for fingers or other objects to penetrate the trigger guard area.
(Photo: Jacki Billings/Guns.com)

Retention on the holster was adequate once the author tightened the adjustment screws. (Photo: Jacki Billings/Guns.com)

More: https://www.guns.com/review/gear-review-hidden-hybrid-holster-aiwb-claw/

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Gear Review: Hidden Hybrid Holster AIWB Claw
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:35:14 am »
Very cool holster
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:33:50 pm »
I've mentioned before that I'm in training for our church security team and am looking for the right holster. As I'm up in the choir loft and would have a little extra time to get my weapon if a violent intruder entered the sanctuary below, keeping the gun in my concealed-carry purse (purchased from The Well Armed Woman) probably will do for now. I would think holstering in front, as pictured, would be uncomfortable. It's a conundrum: how a woman can holster while wearing her Sunday best.  :pondering:  Will keep exploring all the options.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 01:57:19 pm »
I AIWB carry. I live in the south and usually am wearing a t-shirt. It is not uncomfortable for me. I have always been slim and I feel that I can conceal better with the AIWB carry.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:51:10 pm »
I've mentioned before that I'm in training for our church security team

@mountaineer

"Church security team"?

Good for you!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »
Yes, Mr. M and I both are doing some pistol and hand-to-hand training from a group that consults with churches. We have a small group of volunteers - some young, some seniors. We don't want some nut, whether drugged-out or Islamo, coming in and trying to commit mass murder.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org