Author Topic: Trump Puts Brakes On Fuel Economy Over-Regulation  (Read 929 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Trump Puts Brakes On Fuel Economy Over-Regulation
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:15:05 am »
dailycaller
Steve Milloy | Author, 'Scare Pollution: Why and How to Fix the EPA' 7/27/18

[excerpt]

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/27/trump-brakes-fuel-economy-overregulation/

The Trump deregulation train is rolling on, this time right over two sacred cows of the progressive over-regulatory state: the Obama administration’s pointless and harmful fuel economy standards for cars and light trucks and California’s bid to usurp federal power and become the national standard setter for fuel economy and consumer car choice.

In 2012, the Obama administration issued new, more stringent fuel economy standards (called “Corporate Average Fuel Economy,” or “CAFE” standards) intended to compel car makers to raise their fleet average to 50 miles per gallon by 2025. The Trump administration may soon propose to freeze the CAFE standard at the 2020 level of 35 miles per gallon.

The Trump CAFE proposal will not only save consumers money — it will save lives.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Trump Puts Brakes On Fuel Economy Over-Regulation
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 01:39:20 am »
Nice job, Mr. President.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 01:44:52 am »
Dumb. Get rid of it.

All it did was drive families into trucks. Ford is getting out of cars altogether, and everyone I know with more than two kids is driving a Tahoe or a Suburban.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 01:37:16 pm »
Dumb. Get rid of it.

All it did was drive families into trucks. Ford is getting out of cars altogether, and everyone I know with more than two kids is driving a Tahoe or a Suburban.

Almost, excepting its Mustang and the sort-of-sedan Focus Active.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-real-reason-ford-is-phasing-out-its-sedans-1525369304
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:38:15 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 04:13:19 pm »
Excellent article on the subject below.

Fuel Economy Standards Are a Costly Mistake
https://heritage.org/government-regulation/report/fuel-economy-standards-are-costly-mistake

The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards were originally put in place in order to reduce America’s dependence on foreign oil. Economists have roundly rejected the wisdom of that goal. Under the Obama Administration, CAFE standards have become a tool for combatting global warming, at which they are utterly ineffective. Americans are paying excessively for regulations that fail any reasonable cost-benefit test. The CAFE standards should be scrapped.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:20:16 pm »

What is to prevent California from enacting more strict CAFE numbers?

California already has more strict emission numbers, which are observed elsewhere.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:26:17 pm »

California already has more strict emission numbers, which are observed elsewhere.

Cali may have overestimated its clout these days.   I would love to see the day the Auto Ind calls their bluff on cafe.   I would like to see what Cali does.  Ban the sale of new Cars?  Sue?  Turn into Cuba with a fleet of 09 fords on the Highways
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:28:46 pm »

California Sues EPA to Maintain Automobile CAFE Standards That Hurt the Poor
https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/01/california-sues-epa-to-maintain-automobi

EPA reportedly will block increase in fuel efficiency standards for autos, revoke California's authority over tailpipe emissions
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/23/epa-to-freeze-auto-fuel-efficiency-standards-revoke-california-waiver.html

The Trump administration is expected to block an increase in fuel efficiency standards for cars, Bloomberg News reported.

The administration also intends to strip California of the authority to set its own emissions rules.

The issue is likely to get tied up in a court battle.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 05:31:11 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 10:11:53 pm »
California Sues EPA to Maintain Automobile CAFE Standards That Hurt the Poor
https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/01/california-sues-epa-to-maintain-automobi

EPA reportedly will block increase in fuel efficiency standards for autos, revoke California's authority over tailpipe emissions
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/23/epa-to-freeze-auto-fuel-efficiency-standards-revoke-california-waiver.html

The Trump administration is expected to block an increase in fuel efficiency standards for cars, Bloomberg News reported.

The administration also intends to strip California of the authority to set its own emissions rules.

The issue is likely to get tied up in a court battle.
It sets up a question, of federalism. Can states legislate tighter regulations for air, water, safety?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 10:27:26 pm »
It sets up a question, of federalism. Can states legislate tighter regulations for air, water, safety?
They can, but that doesn't mean they can order the other 49 to follow their lead.

When California realizes they can't get a sedan in their state but they can in Nevada, Arizona or Oregon, it will start looking bad.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:24 am »
They can, but that doesn't mean they can order the other 49 to follow their lead.

@jmyrlefuller

Absolutely right!  Exactly as the founders intended!    888high58888

When California realizes they can't get a sedan in their state but they can in Nevada, Arizona or Oregon, it will start looking bad.

Yep!  That's exactly how it's supposed to work.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 01:00:24 am »

Opposition to federalism and states' rights?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 01:54:40 am »
Good.  Now if Trump would be so kind as to petition to get rid of the federal Gas tax, there could be some serious economic benefits to stateside car manufacturing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:55:33 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775