Author Topic: Hackers demonstrate ability to break into any voting machine at Las Vegas convention  (Read 2308 times)

Offline endicom

American Thinker
Thomas Lifson
July 30, 2018

The only way to ensure the integrity of our elections is a return to paper ballots, a "back to the future" scenario that somehow doesn't seem to excite many Democrats.  They would rather wail about "Russia hacking the election" to delegitimize President Trump, even though Rod Rosenstein recently assured us that not one vote was changed.

The fact that no electronic voting system can be reliably protected against hackers was once again demonstrated this weekend at "Defcon," a computer gathering in Las Vegas.

More... https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/07/hackers_demonstrate_ability_to_break_into_any_voting_machine_at_las_vegas_convention.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Why does a voting machine need access to the Internet?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline endicom

Probably to report results. Maybe for troubleshooting.

IMO, an electronic voting system is begging for abuse.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Here in my part of Connecticut (it may be a statewide system), the voter gets a sheet of paper (fairly good-sized) and marks the ballot with a felt-tip pen. After leaving "the booth", the voter slides the paper into a machine (about the size of a floor-sized copy machine) which records the marks and then keeps the paper ballot.

This is about as "computerized" a system as I want to see, insofar as voting is concerned.

I would like to see an additional feature:
Upon recording the ballot, the machine should issue a printed "receipt" that shows how the machine recorded the votes. The voter can examine the receipt to be sure that the "votes recorded" were identical to "the votes cast". (yes, I realize that even this might be rigged).

Offline endicom

Here in my part of Connecticut (it may be a statewide system), the voter gets a sheet of paper (fairly good-sized) and marks the ballot with a felt-tip pen. After leaving "the booth", the voter slides the paper into a machine (about the size of a floor-sized copy machine) which records the marks and then keeps the paper ballot.

This is about as "computerized" a system as I want to see, insofar as voting is concerned.

I would like to see an additional feature:
Upon recording the ballot, the machine should issue a printed "receipt" that shows how the machine recorded the votes. The voter can examine the receipt to be sure that the "votes recorded" were identical to "the votes cast". (yes, I realize that even this might be rigged).

Looks like what we have here in New York. I vote but haven't much faith in the machines.

Online roamer_1

They don't... at least, not here. I believe this is a LAN-side hack. I said somethng about this exact possibility last year. I guess laying CAT5 is just too hard.

Offline endicom

They don't... at least, not here. I believe this is a LAN-side hack. I said somethng about this exact possibility last year. I guess laying CAT5 is just too hard.

At least one hack used Wi-Fi so these machines vary in how they communicate.

Online roamer_1

At least one hack used Wi-Fi so these machines vary in how they communicate.

Yeah. Here they wiffy to a local lan to a central box that does the tally. That's all, No internet.
But wifi is not real safe locally. this is not news.
Like I said, just get rid of Local wifi and go to a wired switch. No more air.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

Probably to report results. Maybe for troubleshooting.

IMO, an electronic voting system is begging for abuse.

Amen. At least with the old system you could only commit voter fraud one trunkful of ballots at a time...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA