Author Topic: The Intellectual Dark Web  (Read 35650 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The Intellectual Dark Web
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2019, 01:07:58 am »
Could very well be, Fred, I may have missed it.  I haven't been able to go through the whole thread yet, it is chock full.

I just came across this video in the past couple of days, old chum emailed me the link.

I looked. I can't find that I posted it. Glad you did.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:11 pm »
@Sanguine

Didn't have a chance to go through all of the many posts and videos that are here, but thought that this 24 minute video may be of interest to those following this topic.

Description:

Nations survive and thrive when they're able to communicate clearly and honestly, and they can just as easily fall to pieces when dishonest actors pollute or confuse language as a means of obtaining their ends.

We're swiftly reaching a point in which the two sides of the ideological fence can hold nearly polar opposite definitions of the exact same words or concepts... a point in which true communication becomes impossible, and the prospect of very real violence looms on the horizon.

The men who built this nation took great pains to establish order and structure, institutions and codes of conduct that allow for harmony and balance. Many take it for granted that peaceful civilization is simply how things are, forgetting the courage, devotion, and intellectual energy required to create and maintain such a state of being. The more we turn our backs on their collective wisdom and rush to embrace a modernist viewpoint that stands at odds with the entirety of human history, the closer we stumble to a complete societal breakdown, and the law of the jungle.

This video explains why clarity of thought and speech may be the key to diffusing this time bomb, and how accurate communication is the best means of countering those forces seeking to destroy the foundational concepts behind western civilization.

Just reading the description compels watching this.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2019, 06:35:10 am »
In reply.

I posted an open thread. The Logos. Read the history. Read the scriptures. The Vedas. The I Ching. Read Jung. Read any thing you want.

Then listen to your heart.

There is nothing. NOTHING. Beyond the I AM.

Read John. Then listen to your heart.

The people who witnessed to the Logos were not disbelievers. They were followers of the Law. Abraham didn't sacrifice his son. And so they believed and followed that. They put the Law before the I Am.I

Judas Iscariot.

The most true.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline corbe

« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2019, 03:40:02 pm »
How A Shift To Majority-Childless Adults Will Deeply Change American Culture

In societies with too many childless adults, communities start to dissipate and people become disconnected from one another, their immediate surroundings, and even themselves.

By Auguste Meyrat   
June 5, 2019

This year, the birthrate in the United States has fallen yet again, to 1.7 children per woman—well below the 2.1 replacement rate. With the exception of Hungarian President Viktor Orban, most leaders in the developed world seem to shrug at this news and focus on other matters.

Part of the collective indifference to this otherwise-alarming statistic is the way it’s treated. Most often, a low birthrate is framed as a long-term economic problem that might affect the labor market, pensions, productivity, and the like. Occasionally, it’s seen as an environmental issue and not really a problem since each new human being produces whole landfills of garbage and leaves a Godzilla-sized carbon footprint over a lifetime. Because people often resist the suggestion that they have any responsibility to give back to society by having children, and many will be dead or close to dead by the time these kind of effects have become disastrous, many people take little interest in the demographic crisis.

What is more pressing and relevant, however, is how this trend will affect the cultures and general attitudes of the developed world. Not only does low fertility lead to a society dominated by the elderly, with young people shouldering a heavier economic and cultural burden, but it also means a society increasingly dominated by childless adults. This latter development warrants far more attention than it normally receives, because it will determine the character of American life.

Not Having Kids Makes You a Different Kind of Person

<..snip..>

https://thefederalist.com/2019/06/05/shift-majority-childless-adults-will-deeply-change-american-culture/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2019, 05:57:09 pm »
Wow, I just stumbled on to this, and a lot of the people you are all mentioning are people I read and follow.
At the very least, I follow on Twitter.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2019, 06:05:38 pm »
The artificial constraints of social media certainly hamper effective thought, but frankly I think Conservatism has failed to articulate a coherent, overarching philosophy.  What single principle unites pro-life, low tax, traditional marriage, RKBA, property rights, strong defense, etc?  And if we could articulate this principle, how would we distinguish the American (more libertarian) version from the on-its-deathbed European (more statist) version?

The traditional definitions of Conservatism frequently hearken back to Edmund Burke's reaction to the French Revolution - established values are worth preserving precisely because they are established.  Richard Weaver posited that Abraham Lincoln was the archetypal Conservative because his thought was principled; but there are principled versions of antithetical thought.  More recent American incarnations tend toward a subsidiarity principle - smaller government is better - or a belief in the importance of religious faith or of social values rooted therein.

The very debates that exist on this forum indicate that there is no single, understood definition of "Conservative", even among a fairly small, self-selected group of contributors who live in the same culture.

At its root, what do we Conservatives believe?

What intrigues me most about this post, @HoustonSam , is not so long ago, I had the same thoughts about the left.
How could Pro-choice, environmentalist, Gay rights, people for Gun restrictions, governmental subsidies for all, Universal Healthcare, $15.00 dollar an hour wages, etc., crowd form a coalition?

AS for your conservative definition, I will start "old school", with property rights being paramount to the American brand of Conservatism.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:11:26 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2019, 06:37:15 pm »
Wow, I just stumbled on to this, and a lot of the people you are all mentioning are people I read and follow.
At the very least, I follow on Twitter.

This is where it's at,  @GrouchoTex!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2019, 07:04:59 pm »
Thanks,  @corbe.  Interesting article.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2019, 07:05:11 pm »
The artificial constraints of social media certainly hamper effective thought, but frankly I think Conservatism has failed to articulate a coherent, overarching philosophy.  What single principle unites pro-life, low tax, traditional marriage, RKBA, property rights, strong defense, etc? And if we could articulate this principle, how would we distinguish the American (more libertarian) version from the on-its-deathbed European (more statist) version?

Hello @HoustonSam - Nice to see you.
Of course there is no single principle, although if there was, it would be where American Conservatism starts, as you've recognized, in Goldwater libertarianism, original Constitutionalism, and federalism.

But Conservatism, at least the American strain, has always been factional, with each of the factions holding to, and conserving particular principles.

Those factions historically have been called the three-legged stool, but I would have you entertain the thought that is is actually four legs, as I believe it unjust to lump libertarianism in with fiscal conservatism as has historically been the case.

But be that as it may, historically, Goldwater Conservatism held factions comprised of civil libertarians, fiscal conservatives, and defense/foreign policy conservatives.

Each of these have immovable first principles that together make up the principles of Goldwater Conservatism.

Reaganism, or Reagan Conservatism was exactly like-in-kind, which should be no surprise, since Reagan hailed from the Goldwater wing of the Republican party... With two singular exceptions:

Reagan offered the Christian Right a seat at the table too, whose immovable first principles became the core ideology of social Conservatism.

And secondly, the idea that we must stand together to win, and therefore, candidates should be selected that embrace ALL the principles of Conservatism, and that only in that way can one be assured that no one is thrown under the bus.

There has been no change since Reagan. Bushes were not Conservative, and neither is Trump, holding to no first principles as historically defined, and certainly the same can be said of McCain't and Romney... The Bushes and McCain't came from the moderate wing, not the Conservative wing, and Trump and Romney are both liberals.

The traditional definitions of Conservatism frequently hearken back to Edmund Burke's reaction to the French Revolution [...]

Farther back than that, as @Absalom will opine - And to which I would agree in part, though he would ground it in Greek philosophers (which is partly true), and I would hearken more toward Anglo-Celtic common law, as finally defined in English Common Law as defined by Blackstone...

Neither of which, nor Burke would apply with more than honorable history, shaping the legs of American Conservatism - In fact, American Conservatism is defined in Goldwater and Reagan. And it is not hard at all to discover the timeless truths that are the first principles of the factions there contained

The very debates that exist on this forum indicate that there is no single, understood definition of "Conservative", even among a fairly small, self-selected group of contributors who live in the same culture.

With my deep apologies to our Hostess, @mystery-ak , Conservative principles are seldom argued here, or defended, but by a very few.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:06:24 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2019, 07:19:37 pm »
This is where it's at,  @GrouchoTex!
Where the cool kids hang out @Sanguine!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2019, 09:25:19 pm »
Where the cool kids hang out @Sanguine!

That's us.   :laugh: