Author Topic: The Intellectual Dark Web  (Read 35808 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: The Intellectual Dark Web
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2018, 03:52:01 am »
Bookmark.

Jump in @DB ... I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2018, 03:54:50 am »
How about making "The Intellectual Dark Web" a sub-board in Editorial/Opinion?  This way each video could be posted separately and generate its own discussion. 

@Sanguine

@Right_in_Virginia

GAK. Howabout 'The Big Think' or 'The Pipe and Chair' or something and not lend credence to liberal tags.  :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2018, 04:03:11 am »
@roamer_1, I am very disappointed by Yiannopoulos.  He is very bright, articulate and quick witted, but he wastes it all on being provocative only.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 04:04:47 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

GAK. Howabout 'The Big Think' or 'The Pipe and Chair' or something and not lend credence to liberal tags.  :shrug:

I like the Big Think.  Not too familiar with pipe smoking, so that does nothing for me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 04:06:01 am »
Ping to @Quix and @the_doc  and @The_Reader_David

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 04:07:46 am »
The artificial constraints of social media certainly hamper effective thought, but frankly I think Conservatism has failed to articulate a coherent, overarching philosophy.  What single principle unites pro-life, low tax, traditional marriage, RKBA, property rights, strong defense, etc?  And if we could articulate this principle, how would we distinguish the American (more libertarian) version from the on-its-deathbed European (more statist) version?

@HoustonSam
Well, of course there can be no single principle, unless you want to call it Reaganism, or Reagan Conservatism. Conservatism has always been factions, some drawn more to one set of factional principles, some drawn to another. Big 'C' Conservatism believes them all, and knows them to be interlocking. One cannot have small government, nor fiscal responsibility, without a good and moral people, as an instance.

None of it works without all of  it. No one faction is more important than the other, and no faction should be in the back of the bus.

That is a question I would happily engage in, but it is one for another day.  :seeya:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:17:29 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 04:08:31 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

I simply took the title of this thread @roamer_1   and suggested a format that would facilitate discussion --- which a sub-board would do because each video would be given its own thread.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 04:09:51 am »
I simply took the title of this thread @roamer_1   and suggested a format that would facilitate discussion --- which a sub-board would do because each video would be given its own thread.

Working on your suggestion, @Right_in_Virginia

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 04:10:03 am »
@roamer_1, I am very disappointed by Yiannopoulos.  He is very bright, articulate and quick witted, but he wastes it all on being provocative only.

@Sanguine
That is exactly my sentiments. He serves a purpose, I suppose, but not in this game.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 04:13:46 am »

Don't be offended, @Right_in_Virginia ... Believe it or not, the 'gak' was not pointed at you in any way.... I just hate giving progressive labels the time of day...
Dunno about it being exclusively video either... Believe it or not, there are good white papers out there too that take acres to dig through... As I opined from the early days on FR.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2018, 04:16:10 am »
I like the Big Think.  Not too familiar with pipe smoking, so that does nothing for me.

Works for me... I am more of a back porch and sweet tea kinda thinker myself...  :beer:

Offline DB

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2018, 04:21:05 am »
Jump in @DB ... I'd love to hear what you have to say...

@roamer_1 Thank you for the kind invite. I'm buried on a work project that is going to take at least the next week to get working and it needed to be done yesterday... So I'm only popping in to try to stay current. Otherwise I'm trying to lay low and work... A number of people are depending on me to produce.

I bookmarked this thread so I could revisit it when I do have some time later.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2018, 04:25:36 am »
At its root, what do we Conservatives believe?

Like you @HoustonSam I drifted to these podcaster-youtubers for "intellectual depth and weight"

These people are not conservatives per se, but more so free speech advocates.

Like conservatives, they oppose stifling media, political correctness, campus progressive bias and antics etc.@Sanguine @roamer_1 @Bigun
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2018, 04:34:01 am »
These people are not conservatives per se, but more so free speech advocates.

That's another funny bit @truth_seeker
We see this as separate things, they see themselves as separate things, but with a broad brush in mind, classic liberalism and libertarianism, by their principles, are found in Conservatism.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 04:36:27 am »
@roamer_1 Thank you for the kind invite. I'm buried on a work project that is going to take at least the next week to get working and it needed to be done yesterday... So I'm only popping in to try to stay current. Otherwise I'm trying to lay low and work... A number of people are depending on me to produce.

I bookmarked this thread so I could revisit it when I do have some time later.

@DB
Yep. 10-4.
I have much the same going on in August. Best wishes, man. Don't wear yourself out.  :beer:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2018, 04:41:01 am »
 rrthree

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2018, 04:44:36 am »
That's another funny bit @truth_seeker
We see this as separate things, they see themselves as separate things, but with a broad brush in mind, classic liberalism and libertarianism, by their principles, are found in Conservatism.
I understand that. I think Reagan said that too.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:35:17 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 05:01:35 am »
Ping to @Quix and @the_doc  and @The_Reader_David

Great points, all. Alas, I don't have much time to respond meaningfully. Just realized I have 25,000+ impressions to my tweets in the last 24 hours. Trying to figure out how to respond meaningfully to all that.

Some quick, off-the-cuff responses:

I love Peterson, Molyneaux, Shapiro, Milo Y, Stroppy Me, Dustin Nemos, Lionel N, et al for sometimes differing reasons. But all of them at least make earnest and often effective efforts toward some elements of truth as we have experienced it and observed it.

I can give a lot of grace to the likes of Milo & Stefan M for their deficiencies. I have plenty of those myself. All who speak any degree of truth in this era are 'healthy subversives' in the best George Orwell sense.

Too many people still fail to realize this is foundationally a VERY SPIRITUAL WAR. Some of those above don't realize that. Some are beginning to, I hope, it seems.

And, even good believers do well to remember that the weapons of our warfare are not carnal--to the pulling down of strongholds from their 'near heavenly places.'

Prayer and right living are still more potent than the most brilliant word-smithing.

Praise and joy in The Lord are powerful onslaughts against the enemy and his efforts & minions.

Wisdom & understanding can devastate great swaths of the enemy's forces and camps.

Let all of good heart toward God and Man do great exploits in Christ's Blood & Spirit against the forces of darkness.

May all of the least bit of good-heartedness be freed from bondages of the enemy.

May the enemy's fantasies, thoughts, plans, efforts against people of good heart fall to the ground empty and yet return on the evil senders 10's the devastations they meant on the forces of good.

LET GOD ARISE AND HIS ENEMIES BE SCATTERED.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 05:05:49 am »
I understand that. I think Regan said that too.

That's right.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2018, 06:55:37 am »
! No longer available

It fascinated me to see an intellectual side to the leftist Russell Brand, who always acts so vapid on the telly.   :laugh:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2018, 11:14:34 am »
@HoustonSam

I saw this posted on, of all places, Facebook the other day and it's been playing in my head ever since so I'll throw it out as a possible answer to your question

"I want a government that fits inside the Constitution."
I think that is a great start, but there will be extensive debate on that.
Even concepts so simple as being secure in your person, papers, and effects have been grossly distorted, the idea of "Due Process" warped beyond belief, the "Interstate Commerce Clause" and "Providing for the general Welfare" twisted beyond the imaginations of the founders.
We have to be able to define the Constitution using the intent of those who wrote it, including the definitions and boundaries they would have found to be common sense, or at least something they could agree upon. Between the perversion of the language and the decades of "progressive' thought injected into the very essence of our culture, first we have to drag the Constitution from the semantic morass and clean up the fundamental concepts of our Liberty in simple language--ironically, concepts many today who are dependent on Federal largess or programs, either for sustenance or employment, would heartily object to.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:20:06 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2018, 01:31:15 pm »
I think that is a great start, but there will be extensive debate on that.
Even concepts so simple as being secure in your person, papers, and effects have been grossly distorted, the idea of "Due Process" warped beyond belief, the "Interstate Commerce Clause" and "Providing for the general Welfare" twisted beyond the imaginations of the founders.
We have to be able to define the Constitution using the intent of those who wrote it, including the definitions and boundaries they would have found to be common sense, or at least something they could agree upon. Between the perversion of the language and the decades of "progressive' thought injected into the very essence of our culture, first we have to drag the Constitution from the semantic morass and clean up the fundamental concepts of our Liberty in simple language--ironically, concepts many today who are dependent on Federal largess or programs, either for sustenance or employment, would heartily object to.

@Smokin Joe

You mean like this for example:

"With respect to the two words "general welfare," I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators."

Constitutional architect James Madison in a letter to James Robertson

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
@Smokin Joe

You mean like this for example:

"With respect to the two words "general welfare," I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators."

Constitutional architect James Madison in a letter to James Robertson
Yep. One of a multitude of phrases which have been given meaning distorted by cultural reeducation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2018, 02:01:20 pm »
Hey @verga , over here...

Yoohoo @RoosGirl
Thank you for the ping, I will have to get to this later, back to real life this week.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2018, 02:03:57 pm »
We have our own sub-board now.  If you want to post a specific video/article for discussion, you can make a new topic under this sub-board.