Author Topic: The Intellectual Dark Web  (Read 35651 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Intellectual Dark Web
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »
What Is the 'Intellectual Dark Web'?

"What we're really watching is a breakdown in society's capacity to reason with itself," former Evergreen State College evolutionary biologist Bret Weinstein tells The Fifth Column.

Matt Welch|May. 3, 2018 12:30 pm

Kmele Foster, Heather Heying, Bret Weinstein, Matt Welch ||| Anthony L. FisherAnthony L. Fisher

What is the "Intellectual Dark Web"? The technical answer might be, "A phrase coined by mathematician and Thiel Capital Managing Director Eric Weinstein to describe a loose confederation of left-right intellectuals who share in common an open, occasionally career-altering defiance of the 'gated institutional narrative' enforced by media/academia/Hollywood, particularly as concerns identity politics."

Vanity Fair writer Tina Nguyen is getting criticized this week by IDW types for a piece connecting ideological traveler Kanye West to the movement, which she characterizes as being "comprised of right-wing pundits, agnostic comedian podcasters, self-help gurus, and disgruntled ex-liberals united by their desire to 'red pill' new adherents." More charitably, L.A. Times columnist Meghan Daum contends that dark-webbers "wish to foster a new discourse that can allow innovative thinkers to wrestle with the world's problems without having to tiptoe around subjects or questions deemed culturally or politically off-limits."

Whatever the adjectives, it's a group of people, many of them familiar to Reason readers, who are interested in free speech and free thought, sensitive to intellectual conformity, and adept at using new media to route around hostile gatekeepers. Their ranks are generally said to include Jonathan Haidt, Dave Rubin, Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Claire Lehmann, and James Damore.

One of the foundational members of the Intellectual Dark Web is Eric Weinstein's brother Bret, most famous for being at the center of the gobsmacking Evergreen State College controversy last fall. ...wide-ranging Fifth Column conversation about the IDW, campus free speech, identity politics, the race/IQ minefield, and Weinstein's (questionable!) ideas about regulation in academia and media....

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/03/what-is-the-intellectual-dark-web

This is one of the better explanations about what the IDW is.  Some publications, like the NYT or Vox, associate the IDW with the "alt-right", but I have not found this to be the case, except in that the "members" of the IDW are willing to ask politically incorrect questions.

@truth_seeker also posted this IDW interview a few days ago:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,325582.msg1749628.html#msg1749628

T_S and I had also discussed posting some of the better thought pieces here when we find something particularly good.  I agree with T_S - this is where it's at, and it's both frightening and exciting and very valuable. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The Intellectual Dark Web
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
This one is great: Men Cannot Fix Crazy Women

! No longer available

I have great respect for both of these thinkers, and they present some very powerful stuff here.  "There's nothing more dangerous than a weak man."

I'm pinging a couple of TBRers who I think might find this interesting. 
@Cyber Liberty
@Bigun
@jmyrlefuller
@the_doc
@roamer_1
And, due to the topic: @corbe
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:10:47 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:11:45 pm »
What a smart, refreshing young lady.

My Name is Josephine (Full Interview)

! No longer available

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:12:39 pm »
Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro: Frontline of Free Speech (LIVE)

! No longer available

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:13:16 pm »
"Its A Baby" Jordan Peterson DESTROYS Abortion Argument With Facts

! No longer available

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 10:43:02 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 10:47:14 pm »
FYI Jordan Peterson has toured for weeks with Dave Rubin, often appearing before sold out audiences of thousands.

Peterson's book has been a best seller, since Jan. He has also recorded a series of lectures about the Bible.

What the IDW have in common, is love of true freespeech, and dislike of what the left has become, trying to silence free expression.

Ben Shapiro is the sole member that identifies as conservative,, but others identify as "Classical Liberals," or libertarians.

They are podcasters and youtubers, and do "long format" discussions interviews, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:16 pm »
FYI Jordan Peterson has toured for weeks with Dave Rubin, often appearing before sold out audiences of thousands.

Peterson's book has been a best seller, since Jan. He has also recorded a series of lectures about the Bible.

What the IDW have in common, is love of true freespeech, and dislike of what the left has become, trying to silence free expression.

Ben Shapiro is the sole member that identifies as conservative,, but others identify as "Classical Liberals," or libertarians.

They are podcasters and youtubers, and do "long format" discussions interviews, etc.

Thank you, T_S.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:32 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 11:28:42 pm »
And, here's one if you feeling a bit blase and bored with life:

"The New Dark Age Mind"

! No longer available

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 11:30:53 pm »
I'm pinging a couple of TBRers who I think might find this interesting. 

Please include me on future pings of Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, et al., @Sanguine.

Thanks!  happy77
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 11:36:33 pm »
Please include me on future pings of Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, et al., @Sanguine.

Thanks!  happy77

I should say, most TBRers are informed enough to find this interesting.  I just pinged a few people with whom I have had conversations about some of these topics in the past. I should have thought of you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 11:37:10 pm »
Camille Paglia/Christina Hoff Sommers: "We are Heading Towards Late Rome"

! No longer available

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 11:57:49 pm »
This one is great: Men Cannot Fix Crazy Women

I have great respect for both of these thinkers, and they present some very powerful stuff here.  "There's nothing more dangerous than a weak man."

@Sanguine
I too have a great respect for Pedersen and Paglia - I have respected Paglia for a very long time, and regard her as one of the few deep thinkers on the liberal side. In large part, I can accept her classic liberalism, even though I don't always or fully agree.

And as an aside (not meaning to jack the thread, as this is a great thread in its own right), this particular bit addresses very eloquently the subject matter than you and I have bandied about: Men and women are not equal, and never can be, because they are different. Two fully and completely different hierarchies, absolutely different power dynamics, and etcetera.
This is a brilliant piece.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 12:00:13 am »
Which part?

Men cannot fix women.  Actually, I'm aware that it might be pretty good, but they talk so fast the CC resolves it into one loooooooooooooong sentence each.  I'm sure if I pop a pair of headphones on I could follow it a lot better.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 12:08:24 am »
Men cannot fix women.  Actually, I'm aware that it might be pretty good, but they talk so fast the CC resolves it into one loooooooooooooong sentence each.  I'm sure if I pop a pair of headphones on I could follow it a lot better.

But, Youtube lets you slow it down or speed it up.  I like listening at 1.25, just perfect for me.  Unless they have a really high voice and then it sounds like they've been sniffing helium.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:08:57 am by Sanguine »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 12:10:22 am »
@sanquine

Been a crazy day for me.  I'll try and give this the attention it deserves tomorrow.

Thanks for the ping!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 12:13:12 am »

This is *SO* *MUCH* *FUN*!!!
Every single one of these offerings deserves its own thread.
This thread sucks in that we can't pointedly discuss each of these brilliant pieces in depth!
THIS is the heady stuff I miss so much from TOS in her youth.
All the mere Republican blah, blah, blah, and all the pearl-clutching, exasperating news-watch nonsense and feral gossiping, can't hold a candle to this meaty stuff...

This is thinking.

Pinging a few more, some of whom might come back for this sort of platter.

@Smokin Joe
@DCPatriot
@don-o
@Mrs Don-o
@LonestarDream
@nathanbedford 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:52 am »
@Sanguine
I too have a great respect for Pedersen and Paglia - I have respected Paglia for a very long time, and regard her as one of the few deep thinkers on the liberal side. In large part, I can accept her classic liberalism, even though I don't always or fully agree.

And as an aside (not meaning to jack the thread, as this is a great thread in its own right), this particular bit addresses very eloquently the subject matter than you and I have bandied about: Men and women are not equal, and never can be, because they are different. Two fully and completely different hierarchies, absolutely different power dynamics, and etcetera.
This is a brilliant piece.

I wouldn't have figured you for a Paglia fan.  But, then she is one of the most honest and clear thinking people I know of, so it makes sense.

And, yes, you and I are equal in the eyes of God and the law.  We are not the same, we are not equivalent or interchangeable, but we are equal.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 12:16:40 am »
This is *SO* *MUCH* *FUN*!!!
Every single one of these offerings deserves its own thread.
This thread sucks in that we can't pointedly discuss each of these brilliant pieces in depth!
THIS is the heady stuff I miss so much from TOS in her youth.
All the mere Republican blah, blah, blah, and all the pearl-clutching, exasperating news-watch nonsense and feral gossiping, can't hold a candle to this meaty stuff...

This is thinking.

Pinging a few more, some of whom might come back for this sort of platter.

@Smokin Joe
@DCPatriot
@don-o
@Mrs Don-o
@LonestarDream
@nathanbedford

I know, right?  I love the thinking going on!  Makes me realize how intellectually dead things have been for a loooong time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 12:20:36 am »
Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro: Frontline of Free Speech (LIVE)

This is another brilliant, brilliant discussion!
Needs its own thread.

I have been loath to post from youtube, as I don't know how many will actually sit through a presentation. I wish there were transcriptions and summaries, which would better suit these things for discussion....

The nice thing when it's written, one can skim through...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 12:21:10 am »
But, Youtube lets you slow it down or speed it up.  I like listening at 1.25, just perfect for me.  Unless they have a really high voice and then it sounds like they've been sniffing helium.

I'll try that.  The problem I have is the tinnitus makes listening to vids really tiring.  Meh.  Too much shooting at stuff in my misspent yout.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 12:23:53 am »
 333cleo  333hit

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 12:36:33 am »
I wouldn't have figured you for a Paglia fan.  But, then she is one of the most honest and clear thinking people I know of, so it makes sense.

I like people who think. who can communicate from well thought out positions. Paglia has that in spades. I don't have to agree.

There is so little weight on the liberal side. So much of it is knee-jerk emoting... Maybe that is why the left won't claim her.

And, yes, you and I are equal in the eyes of God and the law.  We are not the same, we are not equivalent or interchangeable, but we are equal.

I never claimed otherwise in that respect.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 12:40:09 am »
I know, right?  I love the thinking going on!  Makes me realize how intellectually dead things have been for a loooong time.

I do think it is why people don't understand Conservatism anymore. Why so many don't know what it even is, and why so much liberalism is creeping in...

When everything is down to 144 chars or less, all you really can do is rah-rah, or throw poo. WHY one is rah-rahing or throwing poo doesn't even matter after a while.