Author Topic: Austin city report on Confederate monuments suggests renaming city  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Austin city report on Confederate monuments suggests renaming city
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »
Would have to add ice cubes to make it tolerable.  :cool:

Cubes for the pool or the cocktail.  Or both!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 02:20:09 pm »
You're not on Entergy too, are you?

Lost ours (Entergy) for 3 weeks after Rita.  No generator either.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 02:21:08 pm »
Lost ours (Entergy) for 3 weeks after Rita.  No generator either.

I need to get a generator.  Don't have one now.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 02:32:37 pm »
I need to get a generator.  Don't have one now.

@Sanguine

If you buy one make sure you buy one with a starter so you can start it. Also,go to your fuse box in your house and write down the amp ratings for every fuse in it,as well as what is on that circuit. That way you know the absolute minimum size generator to buy. You have wasted your money if you are in an area of the country with violent weather and don't buy one big enough to operate your hot water heater,furnace or air-conditioner,washer and clothes drier,as well as your refrigerator.

No,you won't be operating all those things at the same time,but you can figure out your maximum watt draw both summer and winter,and then work from there.

If you have the cash and live in an area with regular outages,a propane-powered generator that is on a slab and wired into your home fuse box is nice. Anytime the power goes out they come on and start providing electricity,and they cut themselves off when the electricity is restored. Best of all they are a lot harder to steal than ones sitting in your garage with the door open,and they run so quietly most people won't know you have one other than your lights are on. These are a really good investment if you have mobility or strength problems,and you can finance them and get payments low enough most people can handle them.

Whatever you do,do NOT buy a cheap Chinese-made generator! Buy a brand name American-made generator. It will almost never need repair,and when it does you will be able to buy the parts to repair it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 02:34:22 pm »
Thanks, @sneakypete, good advice. 

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »
Thanks, @sneakypete, good advice.

@Sanguine

Maybe the best advise is to just buy one. I bought a new one maybe 7 or 8 years ago in order to get one with battery start,and haven't even taken it out of the box yet!

Seems like you never have stuff like this when you need it,but once you have it you never seem to need it again. I bought this one because a shoulder injury kept me from being able to start the old one I  had (pull starter) when  a storm knocked out the electricity. So I sold the old one and bought the one with the battery-powered starter.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 03:03:52 pm »
The 2 weeks I was without power, I heavily utilized an old 1800 rpm 2.5kw Onan gasoline generator that I had converted to run on propane. My hot water heater is gas, but my kitchen is all electric. I cooked out on the breezeway with a 2 burner propane stove. I powered all except the kitchen and AC with the generator. Fridge, freezer, lots of fans, lights, entertainment center, computers, internet, etc. I would run washer, then gas dryer, separately. After a week, my 100# propane bottle was getting down, so I went on patrol to find propane sources. I'm in South Houston and ended up almost to Angleton before I found a source. I picked up a 60# bottle while I was there. The next day I tapped into my natural gas and adjusted the regulator for natural gas. Propane or Natural gas is the way to go.  I modified the generator's exhaust. I plumbed the exhaust to a large muffler I buried in the yard. It ran very quiet at 1800 rpm.

Its hard to find slow rpm generators though. They are quieter and are better capable of continuous duty. When I gave the generator a break, I'd power the living room tv, lites, fan, etc with a 500watt inverter I've had forever.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 03:20:23 pm »
And remember, when there is an area wide power outage, the most wanted commodities are gasoline, ice, and water. Where available, expect long lines.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 04:57:34 pm »
Oh.  Well, that makes it much worse.

How about this?

The Waterloo Connection?

The Baker Rifles at 2 Waterloos

Of all the regiments present at Waterloo, none was more respected at the time than the Green-jacketed 95th Rifles. A highly-trained regiment of expert marksmen and skirmishers, the 95th drew a grudging respect and generated great fear amongst their French enemies.

The men of the 95th were armed with the 'Baker' rifle and sword bayonet; the standard of marksmanship in the regiment was phenomenal. Officers were armed with a sword humourously describd by John Kincaid (the Adjutant of the 1st Battalion) as 'Our small regulation half-moon sabre... better calculated to shave a lady's maid than a Frenchman's head'. In Kincaid's case at Wateroo, the effeciveness of the sword was of little consequence; His sword had rusted solid in its scabbard due to the heavy rain!

Present at Waterloo were the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 95th, plus two companies from the 3rd Battalion, a total of 1,322 Officers and Men. By the end of this day of battle they had suffered 35 officers and 482 men as casualties.

After the Napoleonic Wars, Baker rifles were supplied to Mexico, particularly the early models that accepted the same sized ball as the 0.69 "Brown Bess" smooth-bore muskets. Some of the Mexican Cazadores light infantry were equipped with these rifles as well as second-hand kit from the British Army (likely from the 95th).

Mexican Cazadores and British made Baker rifles (probably some used previously by the 95th) saw action at the Alamo.

So some of the same Baker rifles were used at Napoleon’s Waterloo and Santa Anna’s Waterloo at San Jacinto.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/the-95th-rifles-at-waterloo.10268/

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 05:05:45 pm »
Just find some black historical figure with the last name of "Austin" and declare the city is now named after him.

It's what King County (Seattle) did.   They simply declared now that the county is named after Martin Luther King.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 05:58:59 pm »
How about this?

The Waterloo Connection?

The Baker Rifles at 2 Waterloos

Of all the regiments present at Waterloo, none was more respected at the time than the Green-jacketed 95th Rifles. A highly-trained regiment of expert marksmen and skirmishers, the 95th drew a grudging respect and generated great fear amongst their French enemies.

The men of the 95th were armed with the 'Baker' rifle and sword bayonet; the standard of marksmanship in the regiment was phenomenal. Officers were armed with a sword humourously describd by John Kincaid (the Adjutant of the 1st Battalion) as 'Our small regulation half-moon sabre... better calculated to shave a lady's maid than a Frenchman's head'. In Kincaid's case at Wateroo, the effeciveness of the sword was of little consequence; His sword had rusted solid in its scabbard due to the heavy rain!

Present at Waterloo were the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 95th, plus two companies from the 3rd Battalion, a total of 1,322 Officers and Men. By the end of this day of battle they had suffered 35 officers and 482 men as casualties.

After the Napoleonic Wars, Baker rifles were supplied to Mexico, particularly the early models that accepted the same sized ball as the 0.69 "Brown Bess" smooth-bore muskets. Some of the Mexican Cazadores light infantry were equipped with these rifles as well as second-hand kit from the British Army (likely from the 95th).

Mexican Cazadores and British made Baker rifles (probably some used previously by the 95th) saw action at the Alamo.

So some of the same Baker rifles were used at Napoleon’s Waterloo and Santa Anna’s Waterloo at San Jacinto.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/the-95th-rifles-at-waterloo.10268/

Lol.  I like it.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 10:45:33 pm »
Just find some black historical figure with the last name of "Austin" and declare the city is now named after him.

It's what King County (Seattle) did.   They simply declared now that the county is named after Martin Luther King.
That is rich.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington