Author Topic: FDA Declares Meat-free Impossible Burgers Safe To Eat  (Read 1049 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
FDA Declares Meat-free Impossible Burgers Safe To Eat
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:07:58 pm »
The Food and Drug Administration has finally given Impossible Burger's plant-based meat its stamp of approval. Impossible Foods submitted the meat substitute for review back in 2014, but the FDA responded with concerns that its key ingredient, a protein known as soy leghemoglobin, might cause allergies and other adverse effects. The protein is commonly found in soy plants' roots, but since we don't typically eat that part of the plant, the FDA had reservations about its safety. In response, the company sent in more info, including results from a rat-feeding study, which convinced the agency to declare that the plant-based meat (and soy leghemoglobin) is "generally recognized as safe" for human consumption.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/fda-declares-meat-free-impossible-122900229.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: FDA Declares Meat-free Impossible Burgers Safe To Eat
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:48 pm »
leghemoglobin

Sounds scrumptious.    **nononono*
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:39:18 pm »
Insects might be safe to eat, but I'm not going there, either.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:33:31 pm »
Stuff looks like low rate dog food..

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:08:47 pm »
Well at least the company is named appropriately, it would be impossible for them to get me to eat that cattle feed, it looks as bad as the weeds they serve now in restaurants in lieu of salads.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 10:19:52 pm »
I've heard they aren't bad, but don't have a very strong flavor and need fixin's.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 05:33:06 am »
I've heard they aren't bad, but don't have a very strong flavor and need fixin's.
You could say the same thing about cardboard. Let me step into the wayback machine to when I worked for MickeyD's and they forced us to put out 'Healthy Food', every single time your "don't have a very strong flavor and need fixin's" was the nicest thing you could say, can you say McLean? and no one would buy it.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 09:08:21 am »
You could say the same thing about cardboard. Let me step into the wayback machine to when I worked for MickeyD's and they forced us to put out 'Healthy Food', every single time your "don't have a very strong flavor and need fixin's" was the nicest thing you could say, can you say McLean? and no one would buy it.

But I'm glad the option is available for people like my niece, who is allergic to beef, and those with alpha-gal tick-borne mammalian-meat allergy: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/magazine/what-the-mystery-of-the-tick-borne-meat-allergy-could-reveal.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 03:06:17 am »
But I'm glad the option is available for people like my niece, who is allergic to beef, and those with alpha-gal tick-borne mammalian-meat allergy: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/magazine/what-the-mystery-of-the-tick-borne-meat-allergy-could-reveal.html
Oh I think it's great for people who can't or won't eat beef, I was only commenting that when it is marketed and pushed as something healthy and wonderful..........well the results always speak for themselves. If there are enough customers to keep this product in the marketplace for those that actually need it and it gives them more choices than that's a good thing.  I was just being a carnivore elitist.