Author Topic: LaVar Ball: 'If you want to be a pro athlete, you don't need to spend 50% of your ti  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
LaVar Ball: 'If you want to be a professional athlete, you don't need to spend 50 percent of your time in class'

Ryan Young
Yahoo Sports
July 20, 2018

LaVar Ball’s Junior Basketball Association has officially kicked off, and he’s out promoting it constantly.

Now, the idea behind his league is solid. It provides his sons, LiAngelo and LaMelo — and countless others — an opportunity to play competitive basketball outside of the NCAA while they make a push to play professionally. It also offers athletes a chance to make money while doing it.

Except in a recent interview with SBNation’s Ricky O’Donnell, LaVar gave a weird piece of advice: One doesn’t need an education if they want to be a professional athlete.

“If you want to be a professional athlete, you don’t need to spend 50 percent of your time in class, which you’re not gonna use anyway, and 50 percent trying to play ball,” LaVar told SBNation. “Now you can be 100 percent in. If you really that guy, this is the way to go. If you’re only going be in college for a semester anyway, if you really that guy.”

More
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:11:22 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline dfwgator

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
LaVar Ball. A true Roads scholar.   As in hi-way.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Considering how few NBA hopefuls actually make it to "having a professional basketball career," I suggest these young men practice not just dribbling and shooting, but enunciating, "Would you like fries with that?"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

Considering how few NBA hopefuls actually make it to "having a professional basketball career," I suggest these young men practice not just dribbling and shooting, but enunciating, "Would you like fries with that?"

Don't look now but every year more and more Euro players are coming into the Association. They tend to be better passers and shooters.  The Mavericks just drafted Luka Doncic, a Slovenian with their top pick,  I think he's going to be the next "Nowitzki" there.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:58:54 pm by dfwgator »

Online mountaineer

Don't look now but every year more and more Euro players are coming into the Association. They tend to be better passers and shooters.
Yeah, because they've actually learned fundamentals. Gee, if only these American one-and-dones had bothered to learn the basics of the sport.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

Don't look now but every year more and more Euro players are coming into the Association. They tend to be better passers and shooters.  The Mavericks just drafted Luka Doncic, a Slovenian with their top pick,  I think he's going to be the next "Nowitzki" there.

He'll only be Dirk if he has heart and the team spirit. That is rare.

When Dirk quits the game...so will I. They are a bunch of thugs and whiners as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. When Dirk quits I'm dropping the DISH. I only have it to watch the Mavs. But I will miss my DVR. I'll live without it!

Offline Applewood

Well, his dad is an idiot and I guess he fed the kid a lot of horse manure. 

Hate to tell father and son, but what happens when that pro career ends and the kid doesn't have an education?  Unless he is a careful investor or his finances are well managed and he saves money from that fantastic pro ballplayer salary, he is going to be up the creek without a paddle when his pro career ends.  And that career can end sooner than one expects.  A major injury on or off the court, a catastrophic illness -- anything can happen and at a time when one least expects it.  How is this kid going to live if he has no skills or education for a job or career after basketball? 

Amazing how stupid these kids are these days.  Even more amazing is how stupid  this father is.