Author Topic: Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling  (Read 2745 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
By Brett Samuels - 07/18/18 05:24 PM EDT

Share to Google+

President Trump says in a new interview that he holds Russian President Vladimir Putin personally responsible for Russia's meddling in the 2016 election, despite his refusal to condemn Putin publicly during a joint press conference earlier in the week.

Trump told CBS News's Jeff Glor on Wednesday that he believes Putin is responsible "because he’s in charge of the country."

"Just like I consider myself to be responsible for things that happen in this country," Trump said.

"I let him know we can’t have this, we’re not going to have it, and that’s the way it’s going to be," Trump added.

However, he expressed doubts that a firm statement would have much effect, adding that "we’re also living in a grown-up world."

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/397734-trump-says-he-holds-putin-personally-responsible-for-election
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
IMO, both Pres. Putin and Pres. Trump bonded during the Summit. 

Of course, 'Leaders' are responsible for actions of their military/intelligence agencies.  That's all that was implied.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Of course, 'Leaders' are responsible for actions of their military/intelligence agencies.  That's all that was implied.

You know that. I know that.

NT heads and keyboards exploding in 3. . . . . 2 . . . . . 1 . . . . .
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
“President Putin, the leader of our not foe, Russer, has made good on his promise to me, a strongly made promise, his "interesting idea", of sending over from Russer to the US, (or America as we call it here) some of their experts in the cyber area to work with our intelligence people, the good ones of course. I met with two of President Putin's handpicked cyberians and they are tremendous people, very smart, tremendously great people. And they will, I am sure, collude, I mean conclude, CONCLUDE (there is no collusion), find out, it is all a big witch hunt against me. I was a bit surprised how well they spoke English (or American as we call it here).” – DJT

:tongue2:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline skeeter

It woulda been sweet if Trump had said he held Putin responsible for Russian intelligence agencies meddling in the 2016 election as he holds Obama responsible for US intelligence agencies meddling in the 2016 election.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
“My people came to me — Dan Coats came to me and some others, they said they think it’s Russia. I have President Putin; he just said, it’s not Russia. I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be.” - DJTrump -July 16, 2018, Helsinki

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Monday, 11:50 a.m. ET: During Monday's news conference, Trump sided with Putin over US intelligence, saying, "My people came to me -- Dan Coats came to me and some others -- they said they think it’s Russia. I have President Putin; he just said it’s not Russia. I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be." Moments later, he added, "I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today."

Monday, 3:40 p.m. ET: Trump tweeted, "As I said today and many times before, 'I have GREAT confidence in MY intelligence people.' However, I also recognize that in order to build a brighter future, we cannot exclusively focus on the past – as the world’s two largest nuclear powers, we must get along!"

Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. ET: Facing a growing backlash upon returning to Washington, D.C., Trump said that he "realized there is some need for clarification" about his remarks on Russian interference in the 2016 US election. "In a key sentence in my remarks I said the word 'would' instead of 'wouldn't.'" He explained he had reviewed a transcript and video of his remarks. "The sentence should have been: 'I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be Russia'," he said. Sort of a double negative."

Wednesday, 12:30 p.m. ET: Speaking during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, Trump was asked by a reporter if Russia was still targeting the US. "No," he responded, looking directly at the reporter.

Wednesday, 2:45 p.m. ET: Asked about the comment later, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the President was declining to answer shouted questions when he said "no," and not disputing intelligence findings. "The President said 'thank you very much' and said no to answering questions," Sanders said.

Wednesday, 5 p.m. ET: President Trump said he holds his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin personally responsible for Moscow's attempts to interfere in the 2016 US election. In an interview with CBS News anchor Jeff Glor, Trump said Putin was culpable as Russia's leader. "I would because he’s in charge of the country just like I consider myself to be responsible for things that happen in this country," Trump said. "So certainly as the leader of the country you would have to hold him responsible."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-today-07-18-18/h_4db5fbe4dfa19885725879e67ebfb97a
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

Really, I'm getting tired of trying to figure out what he's saying and what he means.  It seems that on almost every topic, he's all over the map.  If this is  part of his 14 dimension chess, I'm tired of playing.  Please get me a president who speaks in a language I can understand and who doesn't contradict himself every five minutes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:12:39 am by Applewood »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling

That is why Trump wanted to meet and personally thank Putin.

Offline corbe

No wonder the Trumpers love him so much, he takes every conceivable position on any given issue.  It's hard to disagree with him from day to day.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Concerned

Monday, 11:50 a.m. ET: During Monday's news conference, Trump sided with Putin over US intelligence, saying, "My people came to me -- Dan Coats came to me and some others -- they said they think it’s Russia. I have President Putin; he just said it’s not Russia. I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be." Moments later, he added, "I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today."

Monday, 3:40 p.m. ET: Trump tweeted, "As I said today and many times before, 'I have GREAT confidence in MY intelligence people.' However, I also recognize that in order to build a brighter future, we cannot exclusively focus on the past – as the world’s two largest nuclear powers, we must get along!"

Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. ET: Facing a growing backlash upon returning to Washington, D.C., Trump said that he "realized there is some need for clarification" about his remarks on Russian interference in the 2016 US election. "In a key sentence in my remarks I said the word 'would' instead of 'wouldn't.'" He explained he had reviewed a transcript and video of his remarks. "The sentence should have been: 'I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be Russia'," he said. Sort of a double negative."

Wednesday, 12:30 p.m. ET: Speaking during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, Trump was asked by a reporter if Russia was still targeting the US. "No," he responded, looking directly at the reporter.

Wednesday, 2:45 p.m. ET: Asked about the comment later, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the President was declining to answer shouted questions when he said "no," and not disputing intelligence findings. "The President said 'thank you very much' and said no to answering questions," Sanders said.

Wednesday, 5 p.m. ET: President Trump said he holds his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin personally responsible for Moscow's attempts to interfere in the 2016 US election. In an interview with CBS News anchor Jeff Glor, Trump said Putin was culpable as Russia's leader. "I would because he’s in charge of the country just like I consider myself to be responsible for things that happen in this country," Trump said. "So certainly as the leader of the country you would have to hold him responsible."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-today-07-18-18/h_4db5fbe4dfa19885725879e67ebfb97a

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

NO..........

It's REALITY TV MAN!!!!!!

It's SMACKDOWN HOUR on REAL Live Wrasslin!

Don't worry about the clown in the air folks... It's all part of the show!

! No longer available

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

No wonder the Trumpers love him so much, he takes every conceivable position on any given issue.  It's hard to disagree with him from day to day.

Obama was a blank slate, on which anyone could put anything they wanted to believe.

Trump scribbles all over the board, so that anything you want to believe is up there.

Some of us see through them, but many are duped by these techniques.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Obama was a blank slate, on which anyone could put anything they wanted to believe.

Trump scribbles all over the board, so that anything you want to believe is up there.

Some of us see through them, but many are duped by these techniques.

Con-men always make it appear as though they have something valuable to offer everyone.

Silver Pines

@DCPatriot

Bonded, huh?

Silver Pines

Really, I'm getting tired of trying to figure out what he's saying and what he means.  It seems that on almost every topic, he's all over the map.  If this is  part of his 14 dimension chess, I'm tired of playing.  Please get me a president who speaks in a language I can understand and who doesn't contradict himself every five minutes.

@Applewood

It's who he is, and who he was during the campaign. 

Notice that he got tough once he got back on American soil and away from Putin.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Applewood

It's who he is, and who he was during the campaign. 

Notice that he got tough once he got back on American soil and away from Putin.

Now THIS deserves an LOL!   :silly:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Fat lotta good that will do. They have always meddled in our elections.
Countdown to Resignation

Silver Pines

@Right_in_Virginia

In an alternate universe.

There, Donald J. Trump is man among men, verbal slayer of KBG killers.

Offline GrouchoTex

It seems we need about 72 hours, to figure out what his position is on some issues.
There are other examples of that besides this one, as you know.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

It seems we need about 72 hours, to figure out what his position is on some issues.
There are other examples of that besides this one, as you know.

Even then, his position will change depending on what mood he is in, what he read somewhere and whether or not the person has been publicly 'nice to him'.

Guy is all over the map... like an Alzheimer patient.

Offline DCPatriot

The irony, (at least to me) is that he was "acting tough" by saying essentially, that after a two hour meeting with Pres. Putin, he'd take the word of the Russian President than the information he was getting from agencies that are infested with the likes of Brennan, Comey, Lynch, McCabe and Strzok.

That there takes balls.   I'm sure he was forced to make that stupid, BS that he meant, "wouldn't".

And then when he did say that it was the Russians and he 'agreed' with his intel agencies, he specified that "as well as other countries"...again, flipping the bird to the CIA/FBI/NSA.

Yeah...his ego is big enough to boast that after meeting for 2 hours, he has Putin pegged.  And I agree he does.

Over fifty years of real estate...1st time buyer to multi-million dollar Seller...you learn that kind of shit.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Concerned

The irony, (at least to me) is that he was "acting tough" by saying essentially, that after a two hour meeting with Pres. Putin, he'd take the word of the Russian President than the information he was getting from agencies that are infested with the likes of Brennan, Comey, Lynch, McCabe and Strzok.

That there takes balls.   I'm sure he was forced to make that stupid, BS that he meant, "wouldn't".

And then when he did say that it was the Russians and he 'agreed' with his intel agencies, he specified that "as well as other countries"...again, flipping the bird to the CIA/FBI/NSA.

Yeah...his ego is big enough to boast that after meeting for 2 hours, he has Putin pegged.  And I agree he does.

Over fifty years of real estate...1st time buyer to multi-million dollar Seller...you learn that kind of shit.    :laugh:

I think it might take "balls" if he stuck with that story about the Intel agencies, but as is so often the case with the flip-flopping Donald Trump, just last night he said the following:

At one point in the CBS Evening News interview, Trump said he believed the US intelligence agencies, prompting Glor to ask this: “So if you believe U.S. intelligence agencies, is Putin lying to you?”

Trump replied, “I don’t want to get into whether or not he’s lying. I can only say that I do have confidence in our intelligence agencies as currently constituted.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-insists-he-has-confidence-in-intel-agencies-doesnt-say-whether-putins-lying/

Offline DCPatriot

I think it might take "balls" if he stuck with that story about the Intel agencies, but as is so often the case with the flip-flopping Donald Trump, just last night he said the following:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-insists-he-has-confidence-in-intel-agencies-doesnt-say-whether-putins-lying/

He's being totally transparent.  "...have faith in our intelligence agencies as currently constituted".

People who understand Donald Trump know exactly why he went out there with that ridiculous half-assed attempt about a "double negative".

He told the truth.  The entire Russian influence/meddling is bogus and at least half the nation knows it.  Thus, the constant 'exit ramp', clarifying that it could have been other players altogether.

Offline Concerned

He's being totally transparent.  "...have faith in our intelligence agencies as currently constituted".

People who understand Donald Trump know exactly why he went out there with that ridiculous half-assed attempt about a "double negative".

He told the truth.  The entire Russian influence/meddling is bogus and at least half the nation knows it.  Thus, the constant 'exit ramp', clarifying that it could have been other players altogether.

Who cares if he's "acting tough" about information he got one to two years ago about "information he was getting from agencies that are infested with the likes of Brennan, Comey, Lynch, McCabe and Strzok"?  If he truly trusts "our intelligence agencies as currently constituted", I think he should have made that clear without the "but" he gave to Putin during the Press Conference.  All he had to do is to say something along the lines of:  "My team is in place.  They've assured me that Russia tried to influence our election.  I believe them.  President Putin denies it, but I believe MY intelligence and national security communnity.  Regardless, I want to both protect our country from ANY country trying to meddling in our elections AND improve relations with Russia.  I think President Putin and I can do both." 

Unfortunately, his staff didn't provide him with a statement like this or he refused to read it, and as a result we have more self-inflicted wounds from this Administration with days upon days of correction, walk-back, and walk-back of the walk-backs.   Complete Amateur Hour IMO.......yet again.  JMO.