Author Topic: The importance of training with firearms in low-light  (Read 2018 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The importance of training with firearms in low-light
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:44:10 am »
Guns.com 7/17/18 | by Ben Brown

Training with your firearm in low-light conditions is often pushed to the side. Some of the reasons are valid and some fall into the excuses category. The reality is that natural or ambient light is not always available. When it’s dark we lose the ability to see and ultimately process what exactly is happening. Flashlights and weapons-mounted lights afford us the ability to gather that information in which we cannot see. Whether or not you can operate that light proficiently and safely with your firearm is up to you.

Statistically violent crimes are more prone to happen during low-light hours. According to the US Department of Justice, adults 18 and older are more likely to commit violent crimes between the hours of 6 p.m. and 2 a.m. These violent crimes include murder, sexual assault, robbery, aggravated and simple assault.

Adding the manipulation of a light source in conjunction with your firearm isn’t as easy as flipping on a light switch. There are a lot of mechanics that need to work in coordination with one another to achieve the desired results. Of course, the light source you choose will dictate how you use it. Hand held lights will compromise your traditional two-handed grip no matter what grip technique you may choose (Cigar, Neck Index, Harries, Modified FBI, etc.). Weapon mounted lights whether on a long gun or handgun are convenient but still require you to activate them when needed. Everyone likes to argue about lumens, candela, and bezels until blue in the face, but have you put in the time in to know how to use it?

More: https://www.guns.com/review/review-the-importance-of-training-with-firearms-in-low-light-video/

Offline endicom

Re: The importance of training with firearms in low-light
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:15 am »

And then you blind yourself with the first trigger pull of that snub-nose.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:38 pm »
And then you blind yourself with the first trigger pull of that snub-nose.

Don't use a snub-nose as your nite-gun.

I have a copy of a study the Army did on handgun muzzle flash. It studied not only factory ammo, but actual load development using different handguns, powders, bullet weights and pressures.
Your nite gun shouldn't blind you with its flash.

Yesterday my son pulled out his pistol case and showed me one of his 45s.

It had  Trijicon Night Sights, a co-witness Trijicon red dot sight, and a rail mounted flashlight.

Now that's a gun set up for nite protection.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 02:30:16 pm »
Don't use a snub-nose as your nite-gun.

I have a copy of a study the Army did on handgun muzzle flash. It studied not only factory ammo, but actual load development using different handguns, powders, bullet weights and pressures.
Your nite gun shouldn't blind you with its flash.

Yesterday my son pulled out his pistol case and showed me one of his 45s.

It had  Trijicon Night Sights, a co-witness Trijicon red dot sight, and a rail mounted flashlight.

Now that's a gun set up for nite protection.

I got that from a decades old article by a gun writer. He realized that though he and others had long recommended guns like the .357 for home defense, he knew of no one who'd simulated that event.

So his simulation was in a dark room. The sound of his first shot was deafening, the muzzle flash blinding. He knew he would likely flinch for any subsequent shots.

Maybe a crossbow would be good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 02:45:29 pm »

I got that from a decades old article by a gun writer. He realized that though he and others had long recommended guns like the .357 for home defense, he knew of no one who'd simulated that event.

So his simulation was in a dark room. The sound of his first shot was deafening, the muzzle flash blinding. He knew he would likely flinch for any subsequent shots.

Maybe a crossbow would be good.

My SW 686-5 is blinding in broad daylight. I can only imagine what it'd be like at night.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 04:00:41 pm »
Blinded by the Light: Handgun Muzzle Flash

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/muzzle-flash/

Efficient Handgun Ammunition and Powders

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/efficient-handgun-ammunition-and-powders/

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 04:14:05 pm »
Blinded by the Light: Handgun Muzzle Flash

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/muzzle-flash/

Efficient Handgun Ammunition and Powders

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/efficient-handgun-ammunition-and-powders/

Good article. Every gun owner might have an image of what will go down at 3:00 AM but that image is probably wrong.